Just a thought...

loughboroughRAM

*Disclaimer* This post is not a knee jerk reaction to losing to Man Utd or our recent form

A lot has been said by the Rams faithful about the necessity of promotion this campaign - especially considering the amount of money we have spent and people saying that anything less than play-offs is unacceptable with the players at our disposal. A lot has also been said on here and social media about Clements future should this rut continue. But has anyone stopped to think why Mel chose to hire him in the first place? Mel has already said that we are looking to build and that PC is in for the long haul and I completely trust this judgement but if our main objective was promotion this season then surely he would have looked at hiring someone with a lot more experience and the know how of how to get out of this league - instead of someone who has only been in management for 6 months? Surely he wasn't expecting PC to waltz straight in and win the league he is looking to build a team capable of challenging the top half of the Prem in the near future and that kind of stuff doesn't happen overnight. If he wanted that he would have chosen someone else.

Of course we have come close the last two seasons but close wasn't close enough and with a new manager comes new faces, new tactics, new philosophies etc so it should come as no surprise that we have come unstuck at times as PC looks at ways around obstacles he has never faced before. Give it time and I am positive things will change for the better, we've already seen what this team is capable of and we will see it again. 

I've been left as frustrated as anyone at the results since the New Year but to be entertaining the idea that PC is treading thin ice is utterly preposterous. A lot of money has been invested into this squad and I don't think it should be viewed as a 'quick fix' solution for promotion. If this was the case then hiring Clement would have been totally naive. Instead we are building a team with immense talent waiting to be unleashed - give them a season to play together and let Clement figure out all the ins and outs and we will be fine. It's clear PC has tried different things and ended up getting burnt (Boro away for example with substitutions) but he's still learning and it's experiences like this which will only prove to be beneficial in the long run. On to Preston on Tues and lets reignite our season, COYR!

TL;DR - If MM was so desperate to get promoted this season why not hire someone with experience instead of a managerial novice? Simple, he's looking to build solid foundations instead of a quick fix.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good post. Look at how Karanka is doing at 'Boro. He's been there with the aim of promotion and he's set to achieve that in his third season in charge. Clement deserves time, which I think Mel will give his regardless of where we finish or what results we get in the short term.

5 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Agree with this post. We are not ready for the Premiership...let's have another season here and build.

We said that last season. The reality is that this is our best chance to get promoted because next season will be result tough with the parachute money that the relegated prem teams get

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I would love to have a manager who is given time to build a club, as opposed to just building a team.

My main concern at the moment is Clement can't seem to decide on what he is trying to build.

Really hope he doesn't get sacked this year and very much doubt he will.

It would be such a shame if they did sack Clement. 

Who knows in Football though. 

Id stick with Clement as long as he wanted to stay. 

Hes getting stick at the moment though .

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I wouldn't go that far! 

He needs to prove he can learn from mistakes and improve the team.

I really don't think 6 months is enough to judge the guy. 

Lets just discuss what he should do. 

Should he stick with his principles or listen to the fans. 

I hope he sticks with his principles but of course if we got relegated he would be sacked. 

Mistakes that have been made including in the transfer market are not all his are they ! 

6 minutes ago, curtains said:

I really don't think 6 months is enough to judge the guy. 

Lets just discuss what he should do. 

Should he stick with his principles or listen to the fans. 

I hope he sticks with his principles but of course if we got relegated he would be sacked. 

Mistakes that have been made including in the transfer market are not all his are they ! 

What are his principles though? That's what I haven't figured out yet.

I don't know regarding the transfers.

I think the original poster is probably correct regarding the long term ambition central to Clement's appointment.  An established but limited Championship level manager (say a Warnock type) might be able to get us promoted more quickly, especially with all the transfer money available, but wouldn't be capable of taking the club to the next level after that - which is becoming an established top half Premiership team, like Stoke for example.  So I suspect the owner is willing to be patient and allow Clement time to develop his experience in the belief he has the potential to become a top manager in the years ahead.

Having said all that, I do believe any manager with decent ability - even one in his first season as head coach - should be capable of getting into the top 6 of a league like this with the amount of financial backing he's been given.  I still believe that other than Hull, Boro and Burnley this is a pretty weak Championship this season.

2 hours ago, CheltenhamRam said:

Agreed, as most would. But we haven't made any progress whatsoever. There should be no need to "go backwards to go forwards" with out squad, set up etc.

Surely if we finish above 8th, progress has been made?!

So with all the players we have and we don't get up this  season, we will spend another 20 to 30 million next season on doing it?  Or gambling that the team will be better next season with the same players now?

I was all for Clement when he arrived but due to the poor run of form and complete confidence melt down of players I have started to back track through our season.

How many games have played well for 90 mins? Wolves and Hull

Have we really improved?

What has caused the melt down of our season, because this is very similar to the end last season but without the injuries excuse and we have spent a few bob as well.

Something was said on the BBC I think it was Shearer, who said I had a great no2 in Hartford at Blackburn, he moved up to the no1 job but just couldn't do it, being a great no2 doesn't mean you'll make at as a no1....

We will need to turn around our season sooner than later, we need a win on Tuesday to put confidence back in to the players.

I agree, it will be a much harder division next season with those that do drop down from the prem ......currently villa s/land and toon.

3 hours ago, McLovin said:

We said that last season. The reality is that this is our best chance to get promoted because next season will be result tough with the parachute money that the relegated prem teams get

It's looking likely there'll be some big teams coming down as well.

Archived