Stuart Pearce: England legend signs for Longford AFC

Chris Mills

England football legend Stuart Pearce is set to come out of retirement aged 53 in a bid to transform the fortunes of a struggling non-league side.

Nicknamed Psycho, the former Nottingham Forest defender played in a World Cup semi-final in 1990 but has signed for a team dubbed "the worst in the UK".

Longford AFC, based in Gloucestershire, have lost all 18 games this season, scoring one goal and letting in 179.

Pearce said the grassroots game was "essential" to the sport's lifeblood.

Stuart Pearce with Longford AFC manager Nick Dawe

"I started out in non-league football playing for Wealdstone before joining Coventry City," he said.

"So I'm looking forward to working with manager Nick Dawe, and helping a group of talented young footballers achieve their dreams and, hopefully transforming both the dressing room confidence, as well as the on-the-pitch performance, and seeing how far they can go up the league."

Longford AFC's biggest losses

2015-16 season

goals conceded

• 0-17 Loss at home to Bibury

• 16-0 Loss away to Lydney Town Reserves

• 0-15 Loss at home to Quedgeley Wanderers

• 14-0 Loss away to Woolaston

Source: The FA

Longford AFC are rooted to the bottom of the Gloucestershire Northern Senior League Division Two.

With an awful record and a growing interest from the media, the side has been dubbed "the worst team in England".

But that could change following the recruitment of their star January signing, who is expected to train with the squad before playing one game with them.

'No special treatment'

Nick Dawe, Longford AFC manager, said the opportunity would give the side "the best chance possible to go further than we ever have done before".

"A year ago we were playing in front of one man and his dog and now we are set to [attract] hundreds for Stuart Pearce's debut," he added.

"Stuart knows that there will be no special treatment, he will still need to pay his £5 a game subs."

Pearce, a winner of 78 England caps, was part of Sir Bobby Robson's squad that reached the last four of the World Cup in Italy in 1990, and the Terry Venables-led side that was eliminated at the same stage of Euro '96.

He retired from playing six years after that, having enjoyed spells at Newcastle United, Manchester City, West Ham, Coventry and non-league Wealdstone as well as captaining Forest under the management of Brian Clough.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-35428976?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_match_of_the_day&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport

Interesting one, that's for sure!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Alpha said:

In a friendly? Surely not in a league system. You can't end up in a league that unbalanced? 

The Derbyshire cup. They don't enter til a few rounds in, they then still walk it. 

12 hours ago, Cisse said:

I do respect the choice Stuart Pearce has made here. I'd like to see more this kind of behaviour in higher leagues too.

To be fair, its more a sideways step from his last position. 

Joking aside, its a class effort from the bloke. Not his biggest fan, but being involved myself in grass roots footy, this is really great.

Archived