Champions League and Leicester City

Wolfie20

Rooting for Leicester. I'd be thrilled for them if they win the league, when everyone said it couldn't be done. It would be so good for football, not simply breaking but totally shattering the stranglehold of the top 4 that feels as if it's been there for ages. Better still if Spurs make the top 4 too.

I don't know a single Ram who's ever thought of Leicester as a rival. But for gaining support within the wider East Midland catchment area it is important to go up as soon as possible. Then the waverers of Nottingham can split south or west if they want to watch a decent local team.

It is incredible to think there are only 15 games to go and Leicester at 3 points clear at the top. Once that count gets to single figures it will become very interesting indeed.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's an incredible achievement...to think they could win the league...amazing.

Gives us all hope...though I can't help but feel a bit depressed when us and leicester...similar clubs with similar histories...one is top of the prem...the other is struggling to get there at all!!

Still...could be worse...Could be forest!

17 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Don't care about their chairmen, I care about the young English players they're developing really well. A title under Alli, Kane and Dier's belts and they'd get playing time at the Euro's over ******* Rooney, Carrick and Vardy.

Exact same as I felt about Liverpool in 13/14 when they had Sturridge, Sterling and Henderson playing out of their skins just before a tournament.

Spurs will Spurs it up, they always do.....thankfully. As for wanting the victims to win it...give me strength.

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

I'd love it if they or Spurs won it, we've had 20 odd years of the same old teams winning so it'd freshen things up no end.  It would also prove you can do it with a good nucleus of British talent instead of a load of foreign mercenaries...

Or if Spurs won it (which they won't) it would prove that you can also win it by spunking millions and millions on loads and loads of below average foreign players year after year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2016 at 17:55, MuespachRam said:

Or if Spurs won it (which they won't) it would prove that you can also win it by spunking millions and millions on loads and loads of below average foreign players year after year.

You have to hand it to Pochutino (sp) though.  He's got them to second with Walker, Rose, Davies, Trippier, Mason, Dier, Ali and Kane playing regularly...

50 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

You have to hand it to Pochutino (sp) though.  He's got them to second with Walker, Rose, Davies, Trippier, Mason, Dier, Ali and Kane playing regularly...

This is it, the talk of Tottenham overspending on foreigners doesn't cut it past their post-Bale spree. Over Pochettino's time there the team is in transfer credit and has a nucleus of fantastic English players. If Leicester don't win it then Spurs would be a fine alternative and it may also force Hodgson's hand to let a young, exciting Tottenham nucleus start the Euro's. And to please, please not play Jordan Henderson.

all this sky money has made it a level playing field, I just hope a sink hole appears and swallows mahrez and vardy up, I cant see anybody stopping these critters, Man Utd not good, Arsenal the bottlers, Man City not playing for a manager that is not here next year, Liverpool wont topple Everton and Tottenham are close but inexperience might derail this season, its a fecking ideal storm for shitty city really and I'm praying for a miracle....

2 hours ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

This is it, the talk of Tottenham overspending on foreigners doesn't cut it past their post-Bale spree. Over Pochettino's time there the team is in transfer credit and has a nucleus of fantastic English players. If Leicester don't win it then Spurs would be a fine alternative and it may also force Hodgson's hand to let a young, exciting Tottenham nucleus start the Euro's. And to please, please not play Jordan Henderson.

On 25 January 2016 at 00:41, Carl Sagan said:

Rooting for Leicester. I'd be thrilled for them if they win the league, when everyone said it couldn't be done. It would be so good for football, not simply breaking but totally shattering the stranglehold of the top 4 that feels as if it's been there for ages. Better still if Spurs make the top 4 too.

I don't know a single Ram who's ever thought of Leicester as a rival. 

Really for all I like Vardy and the Foxes story, the banter round my way, may tip into wanting them to fail. It's not quite unbearable, but a fair few coming out the woodwork now.

As for Sky money. No way still not a level playing field, the comparison in costs between Man city and Foxes massively proves that. For that reason, I'm grinning and bearing the banter.

3 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Really for all I like Vardy and the Foxes story, the banter round my way, may tip into wanting them to fail. It's not quite unbearable, but a fair few coming out the woodwork now.

Every club has those kind of scumbags that don't give a crap until the team is doing well. They're so easy to spot as well since they know absolutely nothing about the game beyond what the Sky pundits say. I'm really pleased for the long term Leicester fans. It must've been an incredible feeling to be in the away end at City at the weekend.

This old chestnut rearing its head again;

Europe's top clubs are discussing possible changes to the Champions League - but have played down the prospect of a breakaway 'super league'.

The European Clubs' Association (ECA) said it will work with Uefa on any "improvements" before 2018.

ECA chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has previously discussed"a tournament consisting of 20 teams from Italy, England, Spain, Germany and France".

Currently, 78 teams qualify from the 54 member leagues across Europe.

After preliminary qualifying rounds, 32 teams enter the group stage.

Following a meeting on Tuesday, Rummenigge said that "stagnation means regression", but promised to "find a good and balanced solution for everyone involved".

ECA senior vice-chairman Umberto Gandini said the review would take six to nine months and would look to make the competition "more and more attractive".

Gandini said there was not yet an "understanding" that the Champions League would have to change, but added: "We will listen to the main actors of the competition and Uefa itself and find out what is best.

"It may be just a slight change to the access list, it may be many aspects of the competition that can be reviewed and adjusted."

The ECA represents more than 200 clubs, including all the biggest ones such as Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern Munich, Manchester United and Chelsea.

There have been suggestions that these clubs should get direct entry into Europe's elite club football tournament, rather than through their domestic league position the previous season.

Rummenigge, who is chief executive of Bayern Munich, told a German newspaper last month: "A super league outside of the Champions League is being born. It will either be led by Uefa or by a separate entity, because there is a limit to how much money can be made."

Changes to European club competitions can only be made after three-year cycles, with the current one finishing after 2017-18.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35535729

Whatever happens during the last few games of the season, Leicester have been absolutely phenomenal. If they do manage to win the league, it's one of the greatest achievements in football history for me.

The question I want to ask is, as Derby fans how do we feel about another unfashionable Midlands club of similar size challenging the wealthy elite so effectively?

Does it leave you inspired by what is possible if a club and team are well managed?  Frustrated that we are languishing in the Championship when a local rival with no great historic pedigree is near the top of the Premier league? Indifferent?

To be honest, I was annoyed initially because my Derby bias makes me believe we are a bigger club than Leicester and it jars with me that clubs like them and Stoke are thriving at the highest level and we're not.  But as time has gone by, their story has been so remarkable I can't help but be impressed and hope they win the league, especially as Ranieri is such a gentleman.

Archived