Where will Hughes fit in this season?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he comes back into training end of Jan/early Feb which has been reported as possible, then it'll take a while to get match fit.

He wouldn't have ran for about 6 months, which would obviously have implementations on a body which has been playing huge amounts of football for the past 4-5 years. If he can be fit for that last 7 or 8 games that'll be a huge boost. There's no need to rush him back like we did with Thorne and end up losing him again because his muscles weren't fully ready. Give him a run out towards the end of the season and he's ready for a full pre-season then.

Yep, still the best midfielder we have. Everyone else will benefit from him being in the team. 

And until he starts scoring 30 yard screamers, we might just hang onto him for another couple of years. 

If he comes back doing stepovers and smashes a few goals in then there will be a youtube video, a pundit spunk party and eventually stupid bids.

I rate Thorne ahead of Hughes, personally. However, I still think those two are streets ahead of the rest of 'um. 

Johnson and Butterfield are excellent, but it's a travesty Thorne and Hughes aren't playing at the highest level IMO. In fact, i'd go as far as saying Thorne and Hughes are quite a bit above anyone else in our squad - certainly in terms of raw ability. 

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Remember your response when I said the same thing about Albentosa...?

Sammon had more than a fair chance here and has shown elsewhere he's a donkey. Both are untrue of Albentosa. 

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Wasn't it his goals at Kilmarnock that brought him to our attention? 

17 in 65 for Kilmarnock, then 1 in 32 for Wigan. Then we signed him (10 in 83 for us). 

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Wasn't it his goals at Kilmarnock that brought him to our attention? 

Again, still not getting your point. Unless you are telling me you were stating Albentosa was rubbish before he signed too? Because I know I wasn't rubbishing Sammon until I'd seen him playing plenty of games for us. 

12 minutes ago, Srg said:

Again, still not getting your point. Unless you are telling me you were stating Albentosa was rubbish before he signed too? Because I know I wasn't rubbishing Sammon until I'd seen him playing plenty of games for us. 

My point is if Albentosa was not Spanish and you had not seen his name in a La Liga team of the week you would be rubbishing his performances too.

He never did anything to prove he was any better than Sammon. In fact they had a strikingly familiar talent of being unable to kick a ball properly with both feet.

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

My point is if Albentosa was not Spanish and you had not seen his name in a La Liga team of the week you would be rubbishing his performances too.

He never did anything to prove he was any better than Sammon. In fact they had a strikingly familiar talent of being unable to kick a ball properly with both feet.

Couldn't care less about any of that. Fact is one had over a year of chances, one barely had a few games

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

Couldn't care less about any of that. Fact is one had over a year of chances, one barely had a few games

Samson had to be given a "year of chances" because we had no one else to play there and no one was dishing out the money like crazy for Nigel to go and buy someone else.....the Spanish donkey, was shown to be no good so we got rid of him and replaced him with Shackell and I don't think you will find anyone on here that doesn't agree that despite the fee waved around for Shackell that this wasn't a great decision. 

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Fair enough but I doubt that it was coincidence that in the games where we saw Albentosa play he could not kick with his left foot and that his introduction into the team coincided with the defence falling to pieces.

Archived