Where will Hughes fit in this season?

1 minute ago, HantsRam said:

There is no runner in those 3.

I completely agree with your analysis - and have posted similar myself in the past.

If will comes in it should probably be in place of butters. But then I thought it would be one of BJ or George but they seem to play together so what do I know?  ☺

Let's be fair, it's a wonderful headache to have. 

And by the time Will's back and actually in contention, we could be in the Premier League and signing three more special midfielders. What a time to be alive.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Warren Hobhead said:

And by the time Will's back and actually in contention, we could be in the Premier League and signing three more special midfielders. What a time to be alive.

I bet PC couldn't believe it when Will was injured so early on in the season, if you watch the clip when he gets taken off you can see PC turn to the bench and mouth heaven knows I'm miserable now. 

All 4 (Thorne, Hughes, Johnson and Butterfield) could fit a 4231 and be comfortable. Not saying we should do it. But it wouldn't be asking them to do anything they aren't used to. 

I want Hughes and Butterfield in the same team. Love watching them both.

Butterfield is really starting to get a feel for his teammates now. 

7 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Indeed yes.

Remember only a few years ago we'd be arguing which of Hughes hendrick courts Bryson or Ben Davies would be best at right midfield in a 442.

8 hours ago, HantsRam said:

There is no runner in those 3.

I completely agree with your analysis - and have posted similar myself in the past.

If will comes in it should probably be in place of butters. But then I thought it would be one of BJ or George but they seem to play together so what do I know?  ☺

I think both Hughes and Johnson could play the role of "runner" but it would go against their natural inclinations to do so, hence the need for positional discipline, of which, Hughes has in spades. The occasions when he's had to fill in at DM, I've been amazed at his understanding of how to play the role, in terms of dropping deep, sitting between the two CBs and acting as the pivot. Obviously this isn't getting the best out of him, but of the two of them, I'd say Will has a much better sense of positioning for whatever role he's asked to play.

Technically the likes of Bryson and Hendrick may not be better footballers than Johnson/Hughes/Thorne, but in order to maintain the balance in the midfield, you need someone of that ilk to support the front man and offer the play-maker another option when looking to create something. It's not always about picking your best players.

For the record, when fit, Hughes is the first name on my team sheet (yes, ahead of Thorne/Martin/Johnson/anyone else you care to mention). Nobody in the squad has quite the footballing brain he does

Archived