Where will Hughes fit in this season?

Personally, I think a fully fit and on form Will Hughes is the best player in the Championship, so if comes back in February as expected and gets close to his best quickly, he's an automatic selection for me during the run in. There's no need to rush him - a few appearances off the bench first - but for me a midfield of Thorne, Johnson and Hughes has everything. I think Butterfield is a tidy enough player but he's not in Will's class.

Thoughts?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Personally, I think a fully fit and on form Will Hughes is the best player in the Championship, so if comes back in February as expected and gets close to his best quickly, he's an automatic selection for me during the run in. There's no need to rush him - a few appearances off the bench first - but for me a midfield of Thorne, Johnson and Hughes has everything. I think Butterfield is a tidy enough player but he's not in Will's class.

Thoughts?

Don't rush Will Hughes back .

Thats the beauty of a large squad you have options and Will Hughes is a great option to have.  

Butterfield is a fantastic player in his own right. 

As we've seen recently, Johnson has been sitting deeper (sometimes within a couple of yards of Thorne) and Hughes also likes to drop slightly deeper to pick the ball up off Thorne and start the attacks, so if they're both on the field, one of them needs to be under strict instructions to stay further forward. In my (humble and no doubt ill-informed) opinion, playing with a midfield three needs them to be slightly staggered up the pitch. The destroyer (Thorne/Baird/Hanson) sits deepest, the play-maker (Hughes/Butterfield) just ahead and the runner (Bryson/Hendrick/perhaps Johnson) further forward still so the ball can be moved up the pitch fluidly.

On paper, Thorne, Hughes and Johnson sounds proper sexy, but the positional discipline needs to be right.

im concerned for hughes and the team, we surely have enough players in forward roles and we have now added an extra two to the ranks, I fear we may have disgruntled players when they are left on the bench and team morale might diminish, I wasn't excited by the new editions and cant understand the role for Blackman, are we going to go two up front?

I imagine Hughes will make a few sub appearances this season. Small niggling injuries are almost certain when he starts playing competitive football again, and I'd rather that was 10-20 minutes here and there this season, if the alternative is the start of next season.

1 minute ago, archram said:

Even when watching replays on that video, I was still surprised when Sammon managed to score!

One of the worst strikes I've ever seen actually be a goal, reminds me of those sunday league vines mocking the goalkeeper/defenders. God he's so bad. 

As curtains said. No point rushing him back. Give him 10-15 minutes here and there. Avoid something like Thorne's situation towards the end of last season. I'd love to see how he looks now, sounds like he's been hitting the weights in his time away from the pitch. That said, he never shirked a tackle.

Butterfield is as close to Hughes as you're going to get.

Imagine a midfield of Hughes, Thorne and Butterfield, pass them to death.

Hughes is so good, he can even make Conor Sammon score. Those videos make me miss Brayford too.

24 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

One of the worst strikes I've ever seen actually be a goal, reminds me of those sunday league vines mocking the goalkeeper/defenders. God he's so bad. 

I feel for Sammon, he was having a blistering season at Killie chose to go to Wigan and ended on the bench for 18 months then struggled to find his form, I believe that if he did choose here we would have seen a different player. Not brilliant but better. Think that spell at Wigan pretty much destroyed him.

1 minute ago, rynny said:

I feel for Sammon, he was having a blistering season at Killie chose to go to Wigan and ended on the bench for 18 months then struggled to find his form, I believe that if he did choose here we would have seen a different player. Not brilliant but better. Think that spell at Wigan pretty much destroyed him.

Not a chance, he just couldn't play football.

10 minutes ago, rynny said:

Without getting too dragged down into the 'our second league is better than your first' nonsense, the quality all over the pitch in the Scottish leagues is generally so, so much lower, so although you occasionally get a gem like Bryson or Russell, there's always the potential for a Kris Commons to go there and make a huge impression as a top class player. 

Sammon just didn't have any attributes other than running around like a bit of a maniac.

15 minutes ago, AnimalisaRam said:

As curtains said. No point rushing him back. Give him 10-15 minutes here and there. Avoid something like Thorne's situation towards the end of last season. I'd love to see how he looks now, sounds like he's been hitting the weights in his time away from the pitch. That said, he never shirked a tackle.

Butterfield is as close to Hughes as you're going to get.

Imagine a midfield of Hughes, Thorne and Butterfield, pass them to death.

Hughes is so good, he can even make Conor Sammon score. Those videos make me miss Brayford too.

The might John brayford , always upsets me when I remember Cardiff stealing him from me haha!

50 minutes ago, Srg said:

Not a chance, he just couldn't play football.

38 minutes ago, Howard Canitbé said:

Without getting too dragged down into the 'our second league is better than your first' nonsense, the quality all over the pitch in the Scottish leagues is generally so, so much lower, so although you occasionally get a gem like Bryson or Russell, there's always the potential for a Kris Commons to go there and make a huge impression as a top class player. 

Sammon just didn't have any attributes other than running around like a bit of a maniac.

He couldn't have been any worse :ph34r:

Archived