Why is Greg Dyke such a clown ?

ValeRam

Every time I see or hear this bloke, he's being an embarrassment.

From doing the 'neck slitting' at the 2014 World Cup draw' , to barking at reporters "We're going to win it" as he rushes by on the way to a no doubt important recent meeting at UEFA . Now its about shooting ourselves if we don't get out of our Group at the Euros , an entirely predictable outcome in my eyes, given the country's form over years and years of international competitions and the dwindling number of English players playing at the highest level.

Despite an impressive previous career in the media he comes across as a bit of an unprofessional buffoon with little credibility. And yet he's head of the governing body of this country's national sport !

Why does it have to be like this ?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ValeRam said:

Every time I see or hear this bloke, he's being an embarrassment.

From doing the 'neck slitting' at the 2014 World Cup draw' , to barking at reporters "We're going to win it" as he rushes by on the way to a no doubt important recent meeting at UEFA . Now its about shooting ourselves if we don't get out of our Group at the Euros , an entirely predictable outcome in my eyes, given the country's form over years and years of international competitions and the dwindling number of English players playing at the highest level.

Despite an impressive previous career in the media he comes across as a bit of an unprofessional buffoon with little credibility. And yet he's head of the governing body of this country's national sport !

Why does it have to be like this ?

At least the guy seems to have a plan and is surrounding himself with good people. 

3 hours ago, StockholmRam said:

I think he is modeling himself on the Mayor of London. What's not to like... It's not boring at least. Be funny if we did win sommat... 

We could come out to the tune from Billy Smarts Circus at Wembley... Oh hang on, I think Twickenham already nabbed that idea... 

Turn again, Twittington.

3 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Just goes to show we need more ex professionals in the FA.

Couldn't think of anything worse...

Imagine hypocrites like Ian Wright at the helm...

Think he's pretty good to be honest, whilst the FA was clearly wrong to support Michael Platini, they're often the only major football association talking any sense. Greg Dyke has been very outspoken about Sepp Blatter and the corruption in FIFA and I wouldn't want it any other way.

He's absolutely right it will be a disgrace if we don't get out the Euros group, we should be aiming higher than that.

I don't think it's fair to say England will do badly because of their "form" either, they won every game in the qualifiers, what more do you want?

1 hour ago, Jordy said:

I don't think it's fair to say England will do badly because of their "form" either, they won every game in the qualifiers, what more do you want?

You know perfectly well : last 10 years performance in international finals -

2014 W Cup exit at Group stage

2012 Euros Qtr Final

2010 W Cup exit Rd of 16

2008 Euros did not qualify

You might call that good form, I wouldn't  

It doesn't matter how we've performed before, we have some very good players and yes, we should be getting out of the groups.

I like Dyke, he's at least outspoken. UEFA and FIFA already hate our guts so **** it, I like having someone who isn't eating the **** sandwich or getting involved in corruption.

11 hours ago, ValeRam said:

You know perfectly well : last 10 years performance in international finals -

2014 W Cup exit at Group stage

2012 Euros Qtr Final

2010 W Cup exit Rd of 16

2008 Euros did not qualify

You might call that good form, I wouldn't  

How many involved in McClaren's squad that failed to qualify will be involved this year? Rooney? You say last 10 year but forget the 2006 WC where we lost on penalties in quarter finals (harshly) to Portugal. 

4 hours ago, rynny said:

How many involved in McClaren's squad that failed to qualify will be involved this year? Rooney? You say last 10 year but forget the 2006 WC where we lost on penalties in quarter finals (harshly) to Portugal. 

Fair comment

Would you say we have a good record in recent international tournaments runny ?

34 minutes ago, ValeRam said:

Fair comment

Would you say we have a good record in recent international tournaments runny ?

We have always been poor in the group stages since Euro 96 with probably the exception of 04 and 12 and has caused us to getting harder games for the following stages. I think it is all about expectation, last chance I feel we had a very good chance was the 04 and 06 tournaments. Hope for the semi finals, expect the quarters, predict 1st round after the group stage.

I think if you look at who we went out to since our last semi final in 96, it shows how important it is to win the group, and we haven't lost to poor teams. Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Italy. No shame in losing to those.

2014 W Cup exit at Group stage lost to Uruguay and Italy, first ever group with 3 previous winners included, was always going to be difficult

2012 Euros Qtr Final Lost to Italy on penalties, Hodgson been in charge for 2 months, best group stage we have had but probably as far as I expected us to get seeing that Spain were the other team to qualify from Italy's group.

2010 W Cup exit Rd of 16 Destroyed by Germany, Lampard's goal that wasn't given would have changed the game 2-2 at h/t would have given us a basis for 2nd half but we had to try and chase the game and they picked us of with 2 more goals. Didn't expect us to beat Germany.

2008 Euros did not qualify difficult group to qualify from, both Russia and Croatia had excellent tournaments, iirc.

04-06 lost on penalties to Portugal in both (quarter finals?), unlucky in both, 1 game had 2 perfectly good goals ruled out in ET

02 Lost 2-1 to Brazil and Ronaldinho (eventual winners) Sven went all negative after scoring even though we looked the better team at the time because we took the game to Brazil and they didn't know what to do against a team that attacked them.

2000 Awful

98 Argentina Beckham's red ended up being decisive, (but Owen's goal :wub:)

Archived