Ipswich Town v Derby County

Day

31 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Problem is, playing Ipswich at Portman Road, you're forced to play like that as they don't give you an inch.

It was exactly the same last year, and Boro's recent 2-0 win there was the same. I actually thought we played better than Boro did, Ipswich created three good first-half chances against them.

Against us, they created nothing. Goals will always set the tone for matches, scoring first just allowed us to sit back and play long-ball clearance + chase type football.

I'm sure if Ipswich scored in the first 5 mins we would have altered our game!

Yeah, just frustrating watching players get the ball in acres of space and not bring it down. 

All those tight space passing drills...

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Maybe painful... We can't be silky skilled all the time....

Thought the game management was wonderful throughout...

Slowed it when necessary, Ipswich were at arms length all game. Similar to many away games this season... Never looked in danger of conceding

Agree. Not complaining as such. Just found it really frustrating watching players like Thorne in loads of space just smash it on the volley.  

I know they're a horrible opponent. Said it multiple times this season that I quite admire that they won't give up on even a throw in. They don't worry about shape they're just relentless. 

Happy to see us out battle them. I just can't watch head tennis without getting annoyed! 

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Agree. Not complaining as such. Just found it really frustrating watching players like Thorne in loads of space just smash it on the volley.  

I know they're a horrible opponent. Said it multiple times this season that I quite admire that they won't give up on even a throw in. They don't worry about shape they're just relentless. 

Happy to see us out battle them. I just can't watch head tennis without getting annoyed! 

You have to prepare yourself better. Make some imagery training and remember whose the opposite manager.

After that you can just forget it's football you're watching. In the end you are just glad with three points and not irritated at all.

28 minutes ago, Alpha said:

One of the worst football matches I've seen this season. Including on the park

Volley

header

half volley

clearance

header

volley

header

clearance

Expected from Ipswich but I thought better of some of our players. 

The positives are we matched the physical battle and took our chance. That our defending is fookin brilliant.

Painful to watch

Can't argue because I didn't see the game.However I have been watching this league

for years. Messi and co. would struggle playing 46 matches in about 8 months in all

weathers and conditions without having to roll their sleeves up and get stuck in.We

know we can play excellent football,especially when Hughes is fit,but we also know

that in the past we haven't played with that level of commitment. We didn't go up

others did.

What I am impressed with,and I agree with Eddie here is the way our manager,who

has never managed before and who doesn't know this league has sussed it all out.

He has taken on the 2 most experienced and successful managers M Mc and Steve

Bruce and beaten them on their own patch.A manager who has also taken on Messi

and co. So far I'm seriously impressed, I don't think we will have meltdown this time.

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

Ipswich Town moaning for England on Twitter, embarrassing.

I'm just reading some. They're the most bitter fans on Twitter. Can't handle losing. They're blaming everything but their poor attacking threat! 

50 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Great result. Performance wasn't perfect, but we did what we had to do away from home. They shaded possession (53-47) and the number of shots (12-7). But like so many times this season, teams have been restricted to long shots only. Grant had to make one save from a long range shot, comfortably saved low to his left. Other than that they had a scrappy corner cleared off the line but that's it.

It reminded me a lot like our game against them nearly a year ago. We had 1 clear cut chance and we took it. Defended well. I watched on a half-fan stream with poor quality. I rarely do ratings post game but I'm going to give it a go based on what I saw.

Grant - 6. Not a lot to do, one save, one punch from a corner late on. Kicking wasn't the best, can't really give higher or lower than a six.

Christie - 8. Thought he defended superbly. Sears is a great little player, pacey too. He was strong, good going forward and solid at the back, Another one to add to the long list of good performances by Cyrus this season.

Keogh - 9. Did he lose a header all game? He was fantastic against arguably the best aerial striker in the league in Daryl Murphy. Again, he has been absolutely superb this year.

Shackell - 8. Similar to Keogh, although he gave the ball away a bit with his passing. Together they're forming a great partnership. Some great blocks too.

Warnock - 7. Was probably the least busy of our back 4 today. Most of their attacks went down their left hand side. Again he did well, but not enough to get over a 7.

Thorne - 7. He was ganged up on at the start of the game, but as the game went on he found himself some more space. Good tracking back and defending, helped control the tempo of the game.

Johnson - 7. He does what he does best and battles. Had a couple long rangers which weren't far off at all. One took a very good save in injury time from their keeper.

Butterfield - 6. He did ok, some good runs. Lost his head and rightly was taken off, could easily have been sent off for his reaction to being kicked in the head (after trying to block a clearance with his head) then grabbing the referee for booking him.

Ince - 7. Good performance, got the goal with the help of a slight deflection. Worked hard and tracked back. Made the wrong decision a couple of times when we had a goalscoring opportunity on the counter attack.

Russell - 6. Worked very hard. Ran himself into the ground and looked knackered by the time he came off. Great effort to chase the over-run ball for the assist.

Martin - 7. Had a tough day with two big defenders on him and didn't get a lot in terms of free kicks. One good scoring chance which was well blocked. His technique to lay the ball off in the build up to the goal was magnificent, so he gets a 7 for that alone.

SUBS:
Hendrick - 6. Did ok in the short time he was on. Helped defend and relieved pressure. Would give the exact same rating for Weimann.

Baird - N/A. Wasn't on long enough.

Otherwise I agree but trio Keogh-Shackell-Thorne I'm strongly disagreeing... I remember Keogh winning one header and that was way too short. He was under pressure but still should've done better. Thorne was everywhere, especially winning his duels both in air and on ground and Shackell was doing all the blocking and interceptions!

7 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

You clearly don't remember him after our home leg play off win over Millwall.

you are right,I don't remember.But I did use the words "usually" and "generally"

I never said he was perfect. Just better than a certain ex.Derby manager who

has taken over Burton Albion and remains nameless.

I accept that there's a number of "supporters" who, no matter how we play, will never be satisfied. Some make negative comments just to generate a discussion and that's fine but the others...well, why bother saying you're Rams fans when all you ever do is moan, moan, moan, moan, moan!

We dominate some games, win easily by 2 or 3 goals but so-and-so didn't contribute, missed a sitter or as a team we spent the last 30 minutes sitting deep and invited them to take us on! The next match we get one really good chance, take it then rely on our miserly defence to secure all the points. Boro got praise on this site last season for doing more or less the same as we have done so far this season - looks like they've taken it on a bit further but we'll see (I think their wingers are the difference between the 2 squads, Adhomah and Downing are probably in the top 5 in the Championship).

Win 1-0 through a gritty, mainly defensive display gives you 3 points. Win 4-0 with possession, flowing football and great goals gives you 3 points. I'm sure we all prefer the latter but sometimes there's greater satisfaction in the former when you go to the likes of Ipswich.

To criticise is everyones right but as soon as you see certain people commenting you can predict the negativity. Just now and again, stop whingeing, give some positive support and enjoy what's happening at our club - these times don't come along that often.

Archived