Derby County v Brighton

Day

10 hours ago, SimonBHA said:

Yeah, Rosenior, Bong, LuaLua, Baldock & Crofts are all injured.

Bong would be first choice left back and LuaLua first choice left wing.

Rosenior tended to play right midfield for us, and then left back when Bong was injured. 

Baldock had been pretty much ever present up front with Hemed, they'd formed a good partnership, not the most prolific but both very hard working for the team and great movement. So Baldock's injury means Zamora has started a couple of games recently and Wilson has come in on loan.

Crofts wouldn't be a nailed on starter as Kayal and Stephens are our first choice centre mids in 4-4-2 but not having him means we've tended to stick to 4-4-2 rather than having the option to go 4-5-1/4-3-3 shape which we've done before and CH suggested we would have done at Burnley if he was available.

The major one is Bong though. We've got our third choice right back playing left back at the moment. March has come in at right mid and been superb recently. Jamie Murphy's been doing well left mid in place of LuaLua and Zamora/Wilson are both decent. So we've got decent strength in depth there. Certainly shown we can cope with injuries which is something we still to this day get told will be our downfall! 

Posters on all the top teams forums say that about all their rivals. Heard it about Derby on a few forums. When they say it about you I think it's just ignorance, but the fact is all the top teams have at least 3 first teamers out at the moment and are still doing well.

It's going to be an intriguing game, I haven't seen a great deal of Brighton other than the Forest game at the start of the season. After which I genuinely thought you'd do well, but maybe not this well. I said earlier in the season I wouldn't mind Brighton being successful, I'm a fan of Chris Hughton and the club in general, but I'd be delighted if we can end your run. 

I don't expect to win per se, but with us being at home I do expect not to lose. 

Brighton's mindset will be key. Kayal will be a hand-full for Thorne and generally the games where we've been a bit more stifled have been against 4-4-2 sides, if you play the right way I can see the "are we becoming too predictable" thread exploding.

Having said that, if Derby get a reaction to the below-par performance against Wednesday I don't think Brighton will deal with our midfield.

Genuinely, how confident are Brighton fans of achieving promotion? 

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Posters on all the top teams forums say that about all their rivals. Heard it about Derby on a few forums. When they say it about you I think it's just ignorance, but the fact is all the top teams have at least 3 first teamers out at the moment and are still doing well.

It's going to be an intriguing game, I haven't seen a great deal of Brighton other than the Forest game at the start of the season. After which I genuinely thought you'd do well, but maybe not this well. I said earlier in the season I wouldn't mind Brighton being successful, I'm a fan of Chris Hughton and the club in general, but I'd be delighted if we can end your run. 

I don't expect to win per se, but with us being at home I do expect not to lose. 

Brighton's mindset will be key. Kayal will be a hand-full for Thorne and generally the games where we've been a bit more stifled have been against 4-4-2 sides, if you play the right way I can see the "are we becoming too predictable" thread exploding.

Having said that, if Derby get a reaction to the below-par performance against Wednesday I don't think Brighton will deal with our midfield.

Genuinely, how confident are Brighton fans of achieving promotion? 

We've put in a few good performances on the road at Reading, Burnley & Wednesday which weren't the most exciting of games but both sides kinda cancelled each other out. I imagine we'd be quite happy for a similar outcome on Saturday.

Hard to predict how we'll play style was as we've shown we can mix it up depending on the game. Suspect after Saturday's scare we'll be keen to make sure we're not caught out on the counter attack again but both managers will have been studying the tapes of each other, probably be quite interesting from a tactical perspective. If we get caught like we did against Charlton we could easily lose this 2/3-0 so hopefully we've learnt our lessons from that.

The midfield battle will be fascinating, for me at least. You've obviously got an embarrassment of riches there but the key to our success has been Kayal and Stephens in midfield. If you comfortably win that battle I suspect we'll be in a big trouble. 

As for promotion. Confidence is growing. Play-Offs would be a great achievement and turn around after last season's struggles. Before a ball was kicked this season a shot at the play-offs was more in hope than expectation. Everything has just come together perfectly though. It's hard not to get a little excited by this team. We're streets ahead of the side that lost to you in the Play-Offs a couple of years ago, so we're getting to that point now where thoughts are starting to change from 'we could get play-offs' to 'we could get automatic' but everyone knows that will be very hard as the top 5 all look very strong and have pretty fearsome squads on paper at least.

On 07/12/2015 at 17:35, SimonBHA said:

We've only played 2 decent sides? We've played Hull (4th), Burnley (5th), Cardiff (6th), Sheff Wed (7th), Birmingham (8th), Ipswich (9th).. We've also played the two sides who beat you, Forest and Leeds and beaten both of them. We can't play ourselves, that leaves just you and Boro and you could easily turn that around as saying you haven't had to play us yet!

Winning by one goal is worth just as much as winning by 3 goals. Besides, we've scored one more goal than you have so far this season. Most of the games we should have won by more than one, but we won regardless. We've also bolstered our attacking options by signing James Wilson on loan and January is fast approaching, so even if it was 'luck' before you could argue we've made steps to address that.

Got my ticket this afternoon, looking forward to the game. I'm expecting you to win, you've got a fantastic group of players and home advantage but hoping we can grind out a draw or better. You're playing us at a good time from your perspective as we've got lots of injuries at the moment. Baldock, LuaLua, Crofts, Bong, Rosenior etc and even Calderon, who is third choice right back, filling in at left back, seemed to take a knock on Saturday and had ice on his ankle so hopefully he is okay! I don't think one loss would see us lose our confidence. A lot of character and leaders in our side. That said it is a tough December, just hoping we go into the new year still in the mix as with so called easier fixtures and new reinforcements in January hopefully we can maintain our push. 

Bong!? You have a player called Bong? Stone me.

On 12/7/2015 at 10:18, SimonBHA said:

I have to correct you on the Reading game though, we were 1-0 up and looking pretty comfortable. They were just having rubbish pot shots from distance until they eventually found a way to equalise. That said, every game this season is competitive, I don't really buy into the 'on paper' easier games. No one's gifted us points, every game has been a battle. I don't mind that, it's good not to get complacent and approach every game the same way. 

Simon, I can only see tears and heartbreak for you on Saturday, Its obvious from your well thought out comments

and considered replies, that you have a good knowledge of everything Football. However, I suggest you don't

travel, stay at home (where its warm and cozy) cause there's nothing worse than seeing you idols get their asses

kicked, I'm praying its not the  5-1 again.

Only you seem like a nice person, reality can be cruel!!!

5 hours ago, DesertRam said:

Simon, I can only see tears and heartbreak for you on Saturday, Its obvious from your well thought out comments

and considered replies, that you have a good knowledge of everything Football. However, I suggest you don't

travel, stay at home (where its warm and cozy) cause there's nothing worse than seeing you idols get their asses

This is a strangely written post. Is it supposed to be some form of poetry?

To any Brighton fans reading this, please ignore that post, it's a bit embarrassing and not representative.

I really can't stand complete arrogance of some fans when they're doing well. I like confidence, I go into game confident we can win and Brighton is no difference, but arrogance is something different. I remember reading the Boro forum around this time last year before we played them away. They were completely arrogant, not a question of if they would win, but by how many.

10 hours ago, DesertRam said:

:) There's plenty worse than seeing your idols get their asses kicked! It's an expensive day out and an expensive time of year so I did think twice about going given there will be totally illegal ways to see the game from the cozy warmth of home! Even if we get spanked like we were in the Play-Offs it would be disappointing but unlike that occasion, not the end of the journey, plenty of games to play yet. 

Bobby Zamora has been running around (sort of running) in his inimical (to the opposition) normal style for the games that he was played. Just the five goals from the equivalent in minutes of five games (he had to play the whole game sometimes) so that is almost a goal a game at an average of 2.3 shots per 90 minutes, 60% conversion rate and 75% shot accuracy.  

cf.  Martin has more shots this season (2.6 per 90 minutes) but at a conversion rate of 16% and 43% accuracy. 

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/958936/Preview

Brighton have not got a left back. In the play-offs they were missing, right back, left back and two central defenders.

In the play-offs Brighton had the seemingly more dangerous  forward line of Ulloa, Buckley/Lualua and Lingard but the stats do not bear this out. Zamora, James Wilson (Man United) and Solly March (in the absence of Lualua) may be more dangerous?   I expect Hemed to start as he runs around a bit more. 

14 hours ago, Reithe glas said:

Bong!? You have a player called Bong? Stone me.

If he ever met Kevin Phillips it would give me an election.

7 hours ago, Kernow said:

To any Brighton fans reading this, please ignore that post, it's a bit embarrassing and not representative.

I really can't stand complete arrogance of some fans when they're doing well. I like confidence, I go into game confident we can win and Brighton is no difference, but arrogance is something different. I remember reading the Boro forum around this time last year before we played them away. They were completely arrogant, not a question of if they would win, but by how many.

This was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek, and not representative of my confidence of beating Brighton.

I do have us down for a 2 - 0 win though, but I'm not going to put my shirt on it !!

On 6 December 2015 at 18:32, plymouthram said:

I still feel that Brighton have rode their luck this season. Winning all their league games by the odd goal, they have conceded more goals than the favoured Promotion trio in Boro, Hull and Derby. Their fixtures also have only seen them play 2 decent sides so far, Hull who they beat 1-0 very early in the season. The other team they played was Burnley who over the 90 minutes were the better side but it ended in a draw. We need to win, we are at home, we have a better defence, Martin is due a goal, Brighton's centre backs are slow. Ok Brighton have not gone unbeaten by sheer luck alone. They have a coach who as got them organised, taught them to be resilient ( game against Charlton as example). But we need to take them show the other teams the way (after us Brighton have tricky away games against QPR and Brentford, also Boro at home).  Their 1st defeat could see them lose their confidence and see them go on a bad run.  

A much as I hope we beat Brighton at home on Saturday, saying that Brighton have rode their luck by going unbeaten in all 19 league games they have played so far this season is somewhat unfair I would say.. You could get away with saying that after let's say 5 games unbeaten even possibly as many as 10 games, but with respect to our opposition on Saturday you can't say that after going 19 league games unbeaten surely ?.

From what I hear it is their left back position they will be most vulnerable, Bong & Resenior are both out injured. Both of whom have been excellent so far this season. Calderon has no pace whatsoever. As good as our defence have been so far this season I think they may be about to face their biggest test so far this season up against the strike force of Zamora, Hemed, & Wilson.

Thankfully Lua Lua is still out injured, as he has proved before to be somewhat of a thorn in our side.

in the context of this season this has to be our most important game so far, beating Brighton & breaking their momentum could be just as important as the three points ?.

Giving too much thought to who's injured or suspended in our opponents' team is an exercise in futility. Last week it was all about who Wednesday had out. They still put up an excellent performance and got a well deserved draw. It's more important how we play. If we perform up to scratch we can beat anyone in this division. 

Archived