Darren Bent fitness training

horizon

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jimbobram said:

why does he get so much stick just because Martins more effective for us ? Bent would still score goals if given a chance just like last season

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a good striker. Does what he does best very well. But for the team we've got now, he's severely limited in his effectiveness.

We are not the team for him, he's not the player for us.

Was cracking in my fantasy team when he played for Charlton. He'd suit teams like Leeds, Forest...Ipswich are probably the most suitable team for him actually. He should go back there.

It's good that Darren is pushing himself and going the extra mile

But personally I'm not quite convinced that the majority of the exercises being done will make any difference as to how he plays on the pitch. 

There seems to be a theme in current footballer-world about the desirability of attaining beach bodies. How this helps them as a footballer is unclear to me. Frannie Lee didn't do too bad in his day. Bent has never been one for the Chris Martin style rough and tumble physical match up that Chris clearly loves . So I can't see the point of all the upper body work. 

Bent's attributes are speed , both off the mark and then after, together with having an absolute eye for slotting in the goal. Increasing upper body bulk will do nothing for that.

Still, as I say, good luck to him for pushing himself 

Don't believe it's fitness training he needs ,it's match practice ,probably the best finisher in this league and their has been plenty of games he could have been brought on a lot earlier to try and change things.you can't just throw him on once in a blue moon with 10 mins to play and expect him to work miracles,the lad is a class act,perhaps not best suited to our present style of play but more than capable of changing a game in our favour given a fair crack at the whip ,been plenty of times this season Martin ,Ince ,Wienman have looked sharpe and could have been rested or taken off to give Bent a chance.

2 hours ago, ValeRam said:

It's good that Darren is pushing himself and going the extra mile

But personally I'm not quite convinced that the majority of the exercises being done will make any difference as to how he plays on the pitch. 

There seems to be a theme in current footballer-world about the desirability of attaining beach bodies. How this helps them as a footballer is unclear to me. Frannie Lee didn't do too bad in his day. Bent has never been one for the Chris Martin style rough and tumble physical match up that Chris clearly loves . So I can't see the point of all the upper body work. 

Bent's attributes are speed , both off the mark and then after, together with having an absolute eye for slotting in the goal. Increasing upper body bulk will do nothing for that.

Still, as I say, good luck to him for pushing himself 

he has been doing it for 4 years.....not just now to up his fitness, he is as fit as he is going to be.

astonished at how many people are writing bent off tbh. We have one of the best and most experienced strikers in the league and he isn't deemed 'good enough' because he can't play the martin role as well as martin. Im sure given a chance like last season should martin become unavailable he will take that chance and people will go back to saying how lucky we are to have someone like bent as back up

Archived