Jesse Lingard - good enough for England but not Derby?

Kernow

21 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I liked Lingard's attitude and thought he was a good player. However, it shows just how misguided Hodgson's management of the England team actually is. 

Tom Ince is comfortably better than Lingard. 

Hodgson struggles to open his eyes to anyone playing outside the big clubs in the country that it's laughable.

Dele Alli wouldn't have had a call-up had he decided to stay at MK Dons for another year, would he? He also wouldn't if he had joined Bournemouth or Watford over Tottenham, although he may have played more games. 

Hodgson's job is to look at every player on merit, regardless of who they play for, and build a side. It should take hours and hours of scouting up and down the country, watching video after video and going to training session after training session. 

He is too old and too lazy for that; he prefers to watch Match of the Day to see who does what in five minute highlights and take in a game at White Hart Lane, Old Trafford...etc

Could it not be possible that young players like Alli and Lingard might have just possibly improved considerably after coaching from the coaches at Spurs and Man Utd? How much improvement would be needed to be the 7th or 8th best English midfielder or winger in the Premier League?

Spurs have a lot of players in the England squad simply because they pick English players to play week after week. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Kernow said:

He's just been called up to the England squad, which says a lot. If he wasn't a United player he wouldn't be in, plenty others have been better than him.

He made 14 apps for us last season, how many were starts? Couldn't get a regular starting role in our side yet 6 months later he's in the England squad for a friendly against one of Europe's best sides. Well done Roy.

How Lingard can get in yet Jordan Ibe doesn't is astonishing in my eyes. 

35 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I liked Lingard's attitude and thought he was a good player. However, it shows just how misguided Hodgson's management of the England team actually is. 

Tom Ince is comfortably better than Lingard. 

Hodgson struggles to open his eyes to anyone playing outside the big clubs in the country that it's laughable.

Dele Alli wouldn't have had a call-up had he decided to stay at MK Dons for another year, would he? He also wouldn't if he had joined Bournemouth or Watford over Tottenham, although he may have played more games. 

Hodgson's job is to look at every player on merit, regardless of who they play for, and build a side. It should take hours and hours of scouting up and down the country, watching video after video and going to training session after training session. 

He is too old and too lazy for that; he prefers to watch Match of the Day to see who does what in five minute highlights and take in a game at White Hart Lane, Old Trafford...etc

Spot on mate. 

I despaired every time I saw Lingard's name on the teamsheet last season. Felt he was our worst player and contributed nothing and was surely only playing as part of his loan agreement, as it didn't appear to be on merit. Ince has displayed ten times the ability. I do worry for England. Will be funny if both Lingard and Butland make the Euros, with plenty of people on here saying Granty was better than Butland! In Butland's case I'd say the call-up's deserved but that's interesting from our perspective too.

I maintain that if he'd stayed fit and was playing well, Will would actually have had a call up by now, given his U21 pedigree and national hype.

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Plenty? Really? There really aren't that many English players in the premier league, let alone plenty for his position.

Yes, plenty this season have been better than Lingard. Ince is better than Lingard, I'm not saying that Ince should be in the England squad but then again nor should Lingard.

This season Zaha, Albrighton, even Puncheon have been better. Jordon Ibe is better. Nathan Redmond is better. But these players won't get in because they play for the likes of Crystal Palace, Leicester and Norwich, whilst Lingard plays for Manchester United. He's made 5 PL appearances and scored 1 goal, and suddenly this warrants a call-up? Can guarantee had Lingard been bought by someone like Leicester or Norwich in the summer, he wouldn't be in the squad now.

21 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I despaired every time I saw Lingard's name on the teamsheet last season. Felt he was our worst player and contributed nothing and was surely only playing as part of his loan agreement, as it didn't appear to be on merit. Ince has displayed ten times the ability. I do worry for England. Will be funny if both Lingard and Butland make the Euros, with plenty of people on here saying Granty was better than Butland! In Butland's case I'd say the call-up's deserved but that's interesting from our perspective too.

I maintain that if he'd stayed fit and was playing well, Will would actually have had a call up by now, given his U21 pedigree and national hype.

You look at the calibre of players called up currently and Will is definitely good enough. Whether he would have actually been called up or not is a different question, but if he had been playing for a decent PL side he would have easily. Look at Dele Alli, is he better than Hughes? Hard to say, I haven't seen enough of him, but a few good games for Tottenham and already he has 3 caps.

12 minutes ago, Kernow said:

You look at the calibre of players called up currently and Will is definitely good enough. Whether he would have actually been called up or not is a different question, but if he had been playing for a decent PL side he would have easily. Look at Dele Alli, is he better than Hughes? Hard to say, I haven't seen enough of him, but a few good games for Tottenham and already he has 3 caps.

But thats stupid even by our standards.

we're turning into Scotland.

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Fair enough. I don't about Albrighton and Zaha made some unfortunate remarks about not committing to England that might put Hodgson off. He also got a gig when he was a Man Utd player but only at the very start of his Man Utd career.

Why is Redmond still at Norwich?

2 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Fair enough. I don't about Albrighton and Zaha made some unfortunate remarks about not committing to England that might put Hodgson off. He also got a gig when he was a Man Utd player but only at the very start of his Man Utd career.

Why is Redmond still at Norwich?

Albrighton had a decent start to the season, and if you're going by stats he deserves a chance, had a fair amount of assists etc. Zaha flopped at United but has been solid at Palace since returning, yet he got his opportunity when he was at United, which says a lot about the favouring of bigger clubs players.

Redmond could play higher than Norwich's standard, and I expect he will, but I'd argue if you swapped Redmond and Lingard around in terms of clubs, Redmond would be in the squad and Lingard wouldn't.

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Albrighton had a decent start to the season, and if you're going by stats he deserves a chance, had a fair amount of assists etc. Zaha flopped at United but has been solid at Palace since returning, yet he got his opportunity when he was at United, which says a lot about the favouring of bigger clubs players.

Redmond could play higher than Norwich's standard, and I expect he will, but I'd argue if you swapped Redmond and Lingard around in terms of clubs, Redmond would be in the squad and Lingard wouldn't.

I rather think you are right. I would certainly prefer to have Redmond playing for Derby than Lingard. But then again, I haven't seen Lingard this season.

26 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

anyone who thinks Lingard is not a good player clearly knows nothing about football.

Lingard was not a bad player when at Derby, he was just not committed enough to put his body on the line.

There's a difference between not thinking he's a good player and not thinking he's good enough for international football.

agree that there appears to be a bias towards players from the bigger clubs, be interesting to see how lingard fairs should he get any game time. 

again ince is easily better than lingard and I think if we get promoted this season then Ince, Hughes and Thorne could all be in with a shout of the squad should their performances warrant it.

6 hours ago, Kernow said:

Yes, plenty this season have been better than Lingard. Ince is better than Lingard, I'm not saying that Ince should be in the England squad but then again nor should Lingard.

This season Zaha, Albrighton, even Puncheon have been better. Jordon Ibe is better. Nathan Redmond is better. But these players won't get in because they play for the likes of Crystal Palace, Leicester and Norwich, whilst Lingard plays for Manchester United. He's made 5 PL appearances and scored 1 goal, and suddenly this warrants a call-up? Can guarantee had Lingard been bought by someone like Leicester or Norwich in the summer, he wouldn't be in the squad now.

Ince has been better than Lingard this season? Really?

How come Vardy is in the squad?

Hodgson is actually picking players based on current form, not sure what is wrong with that? Haven't previous managers been criticised for just picking the best 11 players and trying to make a team out of them?

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Ince has been better than Lingard this season? Really?

How come Vardy is in the squad?

Hodgson is actually picking players based on current form, not sure what is wrong with that? Haven't previous managers been criticised for just picking the best 11 players and trying to make a team out of them?

I didn't say this season, I said in general. And Vardy has scored however many this season, so of course that's an exception. A player with the same performance levels for Leicester as Lingard has had with Utd wouldn't get called up, simple.

You say based on form, what form? He's scored 1 goal and plays because they're limited in that position. If he wasn't a regular starter for Derby as recent as 5 months ago, should he be in an England or United team?

Lingard for England. pfffffft. i cannot for the life of me think what he has done to deserve a call up. suggesting Tom Ince is equally mental, neither are good enough for that level..... yet....maybe yet. neither is Ibe, Zaha, Berahino. just shows the lack of quality England have really. 

Hodgson just cherry picks a few form players for caps, never really gives them a run or a real test, plys them in some meaningless friendlies and then reverts back to the old guard regardless of form for any meaningful game. English players never know when to pass down the opportunity to the next bunch though, Rooney will be/is the next one, hanging around until the very last cap, just to extend that record abit longer, like Gerrard did, like Lampard did, like Beckham did, like shearer did. f*ck, only Scholes and sheringham had the decency to call it a day in the last 10 years or so

Surely Lingard ain't good enogh at the moment, I think we all agree with that. But what would be better opportunity to give younger players a chance than friendly?

IMO it makes sense to give little bit of taste of national team, make them eager to get more. And giving it one by one, like Roy is doing at the moment, it does't ruin team's short term aims.

Hodgson is propably not the best manager around, but I'm pretty certain he is one of the wisest...at least you shouldn't understimate him!

Archived