Jesse Lingard - good enough for England but not Derby?

Kernow

In the 'good old days' a player that wasn't a regular starter for their team wouldn't have a dream of representing their country.

Would be nice to see that return - might even make a couple of players think twice about going to a big club and warming the bench...but I doubt it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Kernow said:

I didn't say this season, I said in general. And Vardy has scored however many this season, so of course that's an exception. A player with the same performance levels for Leicester as Lingard has had with Utd wouldn't get called up, simple.

You say based on form, what form? He's scored 1 goal and plays because they're limited in that position. If he wasn't a regular starter for Derby as recent as 5 months ago, should he be in an England or United team?

I can't comment too much on his form because I haven't really seem much of him, a quick glance at BBC website and it says he has been MOTM in his last 2 games.

You say they are limited in that position, isn't he keeping Memphis Depay out of the team?

The fact that he didn't play regularly for us is irrelevant, maybe he just did not fit in with our style.

Lingard is a good player and showed a few glimpses of it at Derby, Rotherham away sticks out. Personally I think he is better central as opposed to out-wide, and would have done more for Derby if he was played central more often.

2/3 good games for Man United doesn't warrant a call up for England, though. Zaha has been playing well for Palace for quite a while now and hasn't been recalled to the side, yet he somehow got called up when he was at United and had done nothing. It's clear big club bias. 

Also, Oxlade-Chamberlain hasn't had a good game for about 2 seasons but continues to get called up (Although now he's injured) where as someone like Tom Ince who was on red hot form at the end of last season hasn't had a call up. I understand he wants to create a 'club side' feeling for England by picking players based on form for England, but the Ox just hasn't progressed. I think this is another sign of big club bias...

Am I the only one who sees the irony in accusing Hodgson of bias and then saying Ince should have had an England call up?!

Ince played a handful of good games in The Championship, what has he ever done at a high level? Genuine question because I don't remember if he was good at Palace.

Could it be that Hodgson sees great potential in Lingard and wants to give him some experience of being around the England squad and a chance to see him train himself?

Either that or we're stopping Scotland from trying to find a kilt wearer in his family tree.

Unless I'm mistaken he hasn't been named in the team, nor has Hodgson publically announced our Euro 2016 hopes are with Lingard so I'm not sure what the fuss is all about.

Yes you can argue players like Zaha deserve a call up more, but Hodgson will know all about Zaha who has that experience.

For years people moaned that England kept picking players because of their name, reputation, wasn't giving young players a chance. Here Hodgson is giving a young lad a taste of the international setup and getting blasted by fans and the media.

It's impossible for the England Manager, young English players are not given a chance by premiership teams, it will come to a point where all English players will ply there trade in the championship, our ranking is already falling, probably the FA needs to intervene.

7 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

It's impossible for the England Manager, young English players are not given a chance by premiership teams, it will come to a point where all English players will ply there trade in the championship, our ranking is already falling, probably the FA needs to intervene.

Either that or young English players decide they want to play football and not join the likes of Chelsea for the money.

Why is it hardly any young English players can be found playing in other countries yet Chelsea can have a squad of 60 odd. 

Quotas are not the answer to a successful England team, young players choices are.

I get at a young age when a club comes calling and says we'll pay you a 5 figure sum a week it can be hard to resist but where's the desire to play football? 

Lets go back to July, and there are 2 possible scenarios...

1/ Derby break transfer record to sign Tom Ince

2/ Derby break transfer record to sign Jesse Lingard

based on previous performances last season which would you be happy with?

Now make a decision on why/if Jesse Lingard should get an England call up over Tom Ince and come to think of it the other in loan winger that JL couldn't get in ahead of.....Jordan Ibe

26 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Lets go back to July, and there are 2 possible scenarios...

1/ Derby break transfer record to sign Tom Ince

2/ Derby break transfer record to sign Jesse Lingard

based on previous performances last season which would you be happy with?

Now make a decision on why/if Jesse Lingard should get an England call up over Tom Ince and come to think of it the other in loan winger that JL couldn't get in ahead of.....Jordan Ibe

He found it difficult to get in the team ahead of Ibe as he was still at Utd when Ibe was here and signed after Ibe left.

Just read a column by Tony Cottee and can't do anything other than agree with him when he mentions the following players should be ahead of JL

Marc Albrighton

Nathan Redmond

Wilfred Zaha 

Or even Jason Puncheon

All of the above have had far more game time and are playing particularly well too. 

Dont get me wrong, reading this post does come across as I am anti Jesse. Im not I just think there are others that should be ahead of him right now and it's the Man Utd effect that had him in our national side. 

I am just checking....it is a friendly isnt it...? not the actual squad for the Euros..?... we have got to experiment and try players in there now....good on Roy for giving the youth a chance, personally i hope he goes on to be the greatest ever midfielder in the history of the game..after all he's English and we need as much help as possible.

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

I am just checking....it is a friendly isnt it...? not the actual squad for the Euros..?... we have got to experiment and try players in there now....good on Roy for giving the youth a chance, personally i hope he goes on to be the greatest ever midfielder in the history of the game..after all he's English and we need as much help as possible.

I agree. I don't see anything to be worked up about.

Archived