Jesse Lingard - good enough for England but not Derby?

Kernow

He's just been called up to the England squad, which says a lot. If he wasn't a United player he wouldn't be in, plenty others have been better than him.

He made 14 apps for us last season, how many were starts? Couldn't get a regular starting role in our side yet 6 months later he's in the England squad for a friendly against one of Europe's best sides. Well done Roy.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Kernow said:

He's just been called up to the England squad, which says a lot. If he wasn't a United player he wouldn't be in, plenty others have been better than him.

He made 14 apps for us last season, how many were starts? Couldn't get a regular starting role in our side yet 6 months later he's in the England squad for a friendly against one of Europe's best sides. Well done Roy.

Plenty? Really? There really aren't that many English players in the premier league, let alone plenty for his position.

28 minutes ago, RamO said:

Jordan Ibe for a start. 

Thomas Ince for another. Lingard was the third best English wideman to play for Derby last season. Even playing bamford out of position was better than lingard. 

34 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Hodgson gives out caps like crazy. If you sneeze on MOTD, cap

I had the squirts the other day and had to be VERY careful not to sneeze.

Oh, cap. Sorry, my mistake.

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

Says a lot about the paucity of English talent in the Premier League - hardly surprising given the huge level of foreign players chasing the cash. Yes, a number are true quality but so many more are mediocre at best - just look at some of the rubbish at Villa, Sunderland and Newcastle - costing those clubs millions in transfer fees, signing-on payments and wages but showing little or no return on their investments.

Madness!!!

What I thought I saw in his loan spell was a player without much of a 'footballing brain' and only a modicum of technical ability, a player who had a bit of pace but a lack of awareness of what was around him, who couldn't beat an opposing player or hold onto the ball using quick feet or guile and relied largely on being faster than his direct opposition, but often ran straight into or kicked the ball directly at him.

So, your typical England international footballer.

1 minute ago, Coconut said:

What I thought I saw in his loan spell was a player without much of a 'footballing brain' and only a modicum of technical ability, a player who had a bit of pace but a lack of awareness of what was around him, who couldn't beat an opposing player or hold onto the ball using quick feet or guile and relied largely on being faster than his direct opposition, but often ran straight into or kicked the ball directly at him.

So, your typical England international footballer.

Sounds like he'll fit right in

Jesse shows flashes of good stuff, but like Dawkins in the end you realize it doesn't amount to much. The lad turns 23 in a month and hasn't even played 60 club games. This is exactly why England are a joke. Choosing players based on club and not form and ability. I wouldn't want to be Tom Ince right now. But I do want to be a Derby fan that get's to see Tom Ince up his determination, this will be the catalyst along with Weimann bagging goals. In the last 2 seasons (not this) I would say we had at least 5 better wingers than Lingard. 

4 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

Wasn't he coming back from quite a long injury when he was with us?

He had that last season at Manchester United but came to us on loan to get fitness back up. 

2 minutes ago, Gritters said:

If he plays why don't we judge him on his performance. At Derby last season he didn't click for us. May be things are different now. 

Or Mac didn't give him a proper chance though. That pass to Lingard from Hendrick WOW. :) 

I liked Lingard's attitude and thought he was a good player. However, it shows just how misguided Hodgson's management of the England team actually is. 

Tom Ince is comfortably better than Lingard. 

Hodgson struggles to open his eyes to anyone playing outside the big clubs in the country that it's laughable.

Dele Alli wouldn't have had a call-up had he decided to stay at MK Dons for another year, would he? He also wouldn't if he had joined Bournemouth or Watford over Tottenham, although he may have played more games. 

Hodgson's job is to look at every player on merit, regardless of who they play for, and build a side. It should take hours and hours of scouting up and down the country, watching video after video and going to training session after training session. 

He is too old and too lazy for that; he prefers to watch Match of the Day to see who does what in five minute highlights and take in a game at White Hart Lane, Old Trafford...etc

Archived