Derby County v Cardiff City

Day

1 hour ago, ramit said:

Thanks AR.  i have an ancient Nokia phone and regular PC so no go i guess.  i'm going out in a while so will miss it on TV, will just get up early tomorrow to see it.  Thanks again mate

http://hola.org/ 

try this...its free and surprisingly not a total scam. been using it for a while now never had any problems

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To sum that up in one word... Routine. 

We looked a little rusty, particularly with the final ball or in other key positions, but there was never any doubt in that at all. 

I thought Christie was great, particularly first half. Butterfield helped Thorne control the game. 

They defended deep and narrow with Whittingham and Dikgacoi sitting very deep in midfield. Made it so difficult to get the ball into Martin, so unfair to criticise him as many were doing. End of the day, 2 goals we scored he was pivotal in both. 

Similarly, Ince took a lot of stick. Yes, his final ball was more than iffy but he was a danger constantly. They didn't know what to do with him and Cyrus. It would only take one to come off for him. He kept finding himself in great positions. 

Ratings:

Carson - 7 - fantastic save at 0-0 for their only real chance. Did little else. 

Christie - 8 - Strong and athletic. Brilliant to hear people chanting his name as he went off

Keogh - 6 - decent throughout, couple of iffy moments though

Shackell - 6 - Solid against a very strong player in Kenwyne Jones

Warnock - 7 - Best game for us by a country mile. No Forsyth, but more of that will do nicely

Thorne - 7 - Thorne being Thorne, with added attacking freedom

Johnson - 6 - usual full-blooded performance, just got caught in possession a few too many times

Butterfield - 7 - I love seeing a player who isn't afraid from 25 yards

Ince - 6 - very much a nearly performance. Wouldn't be too hard on him

Weimann - 7 - drifted in and out a bit but was a threat 

Martin - 6 - as I said above, difficult game for him tactically but when we found his feet in the box he set up the opener

Good showing today. Cardiff came for the 0-0, and got what they deserved, nothing.

Thought Warnock, Christie and Thorne ran the show. Butterfield and Weimann looked very good too. So glad they've all hit some form, especially when (save for Thorne) at one point or another they've been unfairly criticised by some fans.

Speaking of the fans, was it too cold today? Cardiff's fans were excellent, and the minute's silence was impeccable from everyone.

I'd like to see Carson's save from a better angle, I thought it was fantastic - should have been 1-0 Cardiff there.

Martin was poor, just seemed a yard off everyone else's pace. Good work for Thorne's goal though, that's what we're used to from him. Felt he could have had a penalty, but should have scored when Butterfield put him through.

Only real negative was Johnson's yellow card, which seemed so soft, especially when there were a few challenges (Warnock's comes to mind, as does a kick out from one of the Cardiff mids) which looked much worse. I think I'd put Hendrick in ahead of Bryson, not sure he's quite match fit yet.

Fantastic win today for many reasons..... opponents who came for a 0-0,international week so disrupted training,first cold game of the season so poor atmosphere from the frozen patron's, Hull dropping points etc etc.Patience shown throughout..... Championship winning home performance.

Carson 8/10 Quietest game of the season but had we gone behind today it would have been massively difficult to break them down so his first half save caused by Keogh's usual one mistake per match was a really vital moment

Christie 7/10 Solid game,much improved from Forest performance

Warnock 8/10 Continues to improve,proper old pro

Keogh 7/10 Struggled with Jones physically at times but stuck to the task well.Just his mistake per match continues,lucky not to concede in first half from his latest bad cock up

Shackell 8/10 Not the greatest with the ball,but arguably the best defender in the league.Never appears to be stretched or out of position

Thorne 9/10 Getting fitter,completely ran the show.Men against boys when he's on this form

Butterfield 6/10 Average again, does nothing wrong but not a big enough influence on the game's yet.Missed a great chance just after half time

Johnson 7/10 Not everything worked for him today but his work rate and aggression are fantastic. Always shows for the ball,a proper bloke.Big miss v Hull

Ince 6/10 Our best player technically but will never be a fans favourite because of games like today.Looks disinterested and idle.Had a hand in first goal though which is why he must play when available.

Weimman 6/10 Had better 2nd half and got vital goal but still need more from him

Martin 7/10 Took some stick today from their big defenders but kept going and created the goals

Subs

Bryson 6/10

Russell 5/10

Baird 6/10

1 hour ago, harryram said:

Think some people need to cut ince some slack. He almost always get doubled up on, which creates more space for the rest of the team. Also even though bein closely watched still managed. To have a good effort saved by a very good goal keeper.

really hope Cyrus is ok as he is some player at the moment. Think some fans need to realise we now play patient football and PC has made us solid.

The problem is is that Ince's attitude is so poor. He's not a team player. Any team player would exploit the doubling up to his team's advantage. Just like Martin does on many occasions. Its clear that his relationship with Christie (or whoever happens to be playing right back) (on-field at least) is poor - so the potential on that side of the pitch is not being exploited. 

Carson 7 - had one save to make and made it well.

Christie 8 - great going forward and never looked in danger at the defensive side of things.

Keogh - 6 didn't really inspire confidence against Kenwyne Jones in the first half. Better in the second.

Shackell - 7 never looked in trouble and used the ball well enough.

Warnock - 8 never got beaten, good passing and got forward a bit more than in previous games. Looked very capable.

Thorne - 8 got a goal, some superb cross-field passes, didn't get booked.

Johnson - 7 gave the ball away a few too many times but is a real presence in the centre of the park.

Butterfield - 7 definitely getting better the more he gets a run in the side. Tidy.

Ince 6 - got in dangerous positions numerous times, but for someone of his supposed ability he lacked composure and decision-making at vital times in the last third.

Weimann - 7 scored, provides bags of energy and rediculous pace. Got involved more in general play than previous games.

Martin - 7 set up Thorne's goal, and had a hand in Weimann's. Didn't really get a kick first half.

Subs:

Bryson - 6 looked quicker than I remember him being. Made plenty of forward runs off the ball 'between the lines'.

Baird - 6 not much time, did nothing wrong.

Russell - 6 didn't really add much, but helped us see the game out.

Archetypal Clement win today. Nothing drastic, never looked like losing it, always likely to win it. if somebody doesn't score then someone else will. Controlling the game is what he likes. He simply expects us to keep winning games and to win the league by getting more points than the others, not by putting fancy performances on. Expecting Derby County to play a lot differently than we did in the second half is looking for something that may never happen.Our defence has the third meanest goals conceded total per games played in the League. That is an excellent promotion tactic. .Bruce was saying today that consistency is the key for promotion. We have  a record of W9, D2, L1 in twelve games. now that is consistency.

Get me a slice of humble pie please so that I can say that I was wrong about Warnock. He wants to be part of a promotion winning side and he is now showing it.

Carson 7 - Made a good save and 1 slightly fortunate punch. Another clean sheet.

Christie 6 - For every great thing he does, he does 3 awful things. Got away with some defensive errors.

Warnock 7 - Another good game. Neat on the ball and some good tackles, Poor crossing denied him an '8'

Keogh 6 - Had a tough first half v Jones, improved second half

Shackell - 7 Typical smooth display despite obviously carrying an injury

Thorne 8 - Back in form, great goal and good shot for the second

Johnson 6 - Too slow in possession and doesn't win enough tackles

Butterfield 7 - Skilful footballer, only bright spark in the first half, faded in the second half. Needs to impose himself on the game more 

Ince 6 - Not on same wavelength as Christie and let it get to him. Kept going but things didn't go his way.

Weimann 6 - Good first 15 minutes, then faded, improved again second half, but needs to play breaks better, Took goal well

Martin 7 - Starved of service and support first half, linked play well second half, hand in both goals, but needs one himself

Bryson 7 - Upped the tempo well by simple, quick pass and move play

Russell 5 - Dreadful gave the ball away time after time

First half - Would have been nice to see the CB's step up into the space in front of them like they have been doing. The sideways passing can't be helped when a team shows up to get a 0-0. But I think we could have pushed forward a touch. The while team. If Cardiff invite then we should accept. 

But we still created. The forward players were very good when they got on the ball. Butterfield was very Hughes like in picking the attacks and killing tempo as and when. 

Second half the whole team took that step up. Just several yards and it makes all the passing so much more nervy for Cardiff. A forward pass from midfield now hits the penalty area where in the first half there was still a lot to do. 

Then at 1-0 up we could do what we wanted because Cardiff didn't have a plan for scoring. 

Carson 8 - Huge save in the first half. 1-0 to Cardiff and they'd have been even more determined to park the bus

Christie 8 - Kept It simple and had a purpose

Shackell 8- Defensively solid. Just a tiny moan about his possession/passing. He's been using the ball and space better than this

Keogh 7- Shat my pants when he shat his pants. But other than that he was pretty much a Shack clone

Warnock 8 - Good passing, good defending. Helped Weimann, good crosses. Well impressed

Thorne 8 - Bit guilty of looking sideways instead of forward first early on. Soon put it right. 

Johnson 7 - Busy. Mostly tidy. Occasionally dealt with those who dared oppose our midfield. Quiet for him. But important part of the balance 

Butterfield 9 MOTM- Dictated tempo. When we got him on the ball in the first half he upped our game. Clever, skillful, calm. 

Weimann 8 - Mixed up his movement much better than that stupid Forest performance. Cardiff never knew where to find him but he was usually where we needed him. 

Martin 6 (?) Hardest player to rate. We all know what it's like not having THAT pass. He gives the team everything but he didn't take any glory really. Put through on goal he made a mess of it

Ince 6 - Thought he was alright. Don't really understand the criticism. It was his final pass, shot or touch that let him down. The width he offered, his part in the build ups... Decent imo. 

Bryson 7, Russell 7, Baird not much time but did nothing wrong. 

Easy peas. Cardiff are a decent best of the rest side. Shows that the top sides are in a league of their own imo.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

To sum that up in one word... Routine. 

We looked a little rusty, particularly with the final ball or in other key positions, but there was never any doubt in that at all. 

I thought Christie was great, particularly first half. Butterfield helped Thorne control the game. 

They defended deep and narrow with Whittingham and Dikgacoi sitting very deep in midfield. Made it so difficult to get the ball into Martin, so unfair to criticise him as many were doing. End of the day, 2 goals we scored he was pivotal in both. 

Similarly, Ince took a lot of stick. Yes, his final ball was more than iffy but he was a danger constantly. They didn't know what to do with him and Cyrus. It would only take one to come off for him. He kept finding himself in great positions. 

Ratings:

Carson - 7 - fantastic save at 0-0 for their only real chance. Did little else. 

Christie - 8 - Strong and athletic. Brilliant to hear people chanting his name as he went off

Keogh - 6 - decent throughout, couple of iffy moments though

Shackell - 6 - Solid against a very strong player in Kenwyne Jones

Warnock - 7 - Best game for us by a country mile. No Forsyth, but more of that will do nicely

Thorne - 7 - Thorne being Thorne, with added attacking freedom

Johnson - 6 - usual full-blooded performance, just got caught in possession a few too many times

Butterfield - 7 - I love seeing a player who isn't afraid from 25 yards

Ince - 6 - very much a nearly performance. Wouldn't be too hard on him

Weimann - 7 - drifted in and out a bit but was a threat 

Martin - 6 - as I said above, difficult game for him tactically but when we found his feet in the box he set up the opener

Srg - to sum that up in one word... Routine.

Totally agreed Srg. A normal day at the office. We looked like we might have an extra gear but we neither needed it nor used it. We need something from Hull. They are beatable but they will punish any mistakes that we make.If we can keep them from scoring, I think that we can score one or two goals, probably from longer range or from freekicks.

1 hour ago, philmycock said:

Just football banter, after they sang the Welsh national anthem

You know what he's getting at. It's inherently racist to sing the English national anthem in an English stadium when an English football team is playing. We should all be ashamed of ourselves.

12 minutes ago, Anon said:

You know what he's getting at. It's inherently racist to sing the English national anthem in an English stadium when an English football team is playing. We should all be ashamed of ourselves.

I feel sick to the stomach, I shall never resort to this again, especially when we're playing teams that don't deserve to be in the EFL. Bad fan.

35 minutes ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

Warnock MOTM for the second match running. When he's fresh, he's always performed in my opinion. He will just massively struggle with the strains of regular games, especially over Christmas. I think we may be seeing Baird at LB a few times soon.

Thorne was a very close second, exceptional

I think he'll get better IMO

Archived