Form

Bris Vegas

Option b

Less because it's Forest but more for the unbeaten run. Also means there's less pressure and less outcry avoiding defeat to Forest. Just means the currently quiet moaners will stay quiet. But mainly because you get out of this league by not losing games. 

You get out of the league by accumulating more points than the other teams...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's astonishing that there are people who would accept fewer points just to avoid defeat against Forest.

I simply don't understand.

I am probably inviting derision here but I have something to say:

It's just another game.

What is it that you expect the players to do in a game against Forest that they wouldn't do in any other game? Try harder? Show more passion? Doesn't that suggest that they are not doing enough of these things in other matches? That's just silly.

It's astonishing that there are people who would accept fewer points just to avoid defeat against Forest.

I simply don't understand.

I am probably inviting derision here but I have something to say:

It's just another game.

What is it that you expect the players to do in a game against Forest that they wouldn't do in any other game? Try harder? Show more passion? Doesn't that suggest that they are not doing enough of these things in other matches? That's just silly.

1 loss in 16 is nothing to be sniffed at. The unbeaten run would yield more points due to the confidence boost in the long run. Losing to Forest would set a scene of disappointment to have lost the unbeaten run, and also to have let the fans down. If you think the players don't attach a little extra value to a game like that, you're wrong. It's a lot of pressure for starters, and losing it could be a big comedown.

If you could guarantee me promotion, I'd happily take Forest doing the double over us. So it's not about that. Not bragging rights or anything like that. Just that it's a big game for a lot of fans. Losing that will be a blow to the players confidence.

While I'd love us never to lose again, unbeaten runs can sometimes have a negative affect as a team ends up trying not to lose rather than trying to win. Wins are far more important. The gumps aren't rivals for promotion so I'd rather take 6 points from the week and lose to them than the other options proferred.

1 loss in 16 is nothing to be sniffed at. The unbeaten run would yield more points due to the confidence boost in the long run. Losing to Forest would set a scene of disappointment to have lost the unbeaten run, and also to have let the fans down. If you think the players don't attach a little extra value to a game like that, you're wrong. It's a lot of pressure for starters, and losing it could be a big comedown.

If you could guarantee me promotion, I'd happily take Forest doing the double over us. So it's not about that. Not bragging rights or anything like that. Just that it's a big game for a lot of fans. Losing that will be a blow to the players confidence.

Why do you assume everyone will immediately fall into a slough of despair? Teams lose games. Teams win games. Teams who lose games go on to win other games. 

Whisper it but a defeat can often have a massively positive effect.

I see that some of you can't understand why some would rather take the victory over the treetards rather than some of the other options and quite honestly if you can't understand why they feel that way it is pointless trying to explain it. This game means a hell of a lot more to some people than others and being logical does not come in to it for them. Ask a scouse Everton fan who he wants to see his team beat the most or a Manc Manchester city fan. The bigger picture seems to go out of the window for some just for these 2 games a season and that's fair enough in my opinion.

Why do you assume everyone will immediately fall into a slough of despair? Teams lose games. Teams win games. Teams who lose games go on to win other games. 

Whisper it but a defeat can often have a massively positive effect.

Of course they can, after all this current run started after our first loss to Leeds. But what positive effect could a loss possibly have after 8 wins in 10? (which would be the form if we went on the "a" scenario beating Rotherham and QPR)

Under Clough it was about consolidation, ie. trying our best not to lose/sitting back for the point

Under McClaren it was about domination, ie. relying (perhaps too much) on the fact that we could outscore most of the teams in the division

Under Clement it's all about control; I feel like we're in the position where a point is guaranteed and every game is just a matter of time before we find the winner. The ball is ours

That's the kind of football that streaks are built on and leagues are dominated, a la Chelsea, PSG, Madrid. As I posted in another thread, Clement's teams have lost only 16% of games in all competitions in over 6 and a half years (that's including a poor Blackburn side); he's got experience in maintaining this kind of form and I think we can go on a massive run here...

...I take all responsibility for our forthcoming loss to Rotheram

Under Clough it was about consolidation, ie. trying our best not to lose/sitting back for the point

Under McClaren it was about domination, ie. relying (perhaps too much) on the fact that we could outscore most of the teams in the division

Under Clement it's all about control; I feel like we're in the position where a point is guaranteed and every game is just a matter of time before we find the winner. The ball is ours

That's the kind of football that streaks are built on and leagues are dominated, a la Chelsea, PSG, Madrid. As I posted in another thread, Clement's teams have lost only 16% of games in all competitions in over 6 and a half years (that's including a poor Blackburn side); he's got experience in maintaining this kind of form and I think we can go on a massive run here...

Thanks Jupiter, did you follow him when he worked in Europa?

We are on the same wavelength Jupiter. Out of this world post. I agree with everything in this post and you will be entirely responsible for any loss against Rotherham.:D

Thanks Jupiter, did you follow him when he worked in Europa?

Io, Io, it's off to work we go. Callisto and Gannymede?

He may be cautious but in the game yesterday, for the first time in a long time there was a point where Forsyth crossed a ball from the by line and Christie was on the other end. One full back to another - both being given the licence to get forward.

Clement is a great coach. If he feels the game can't be won he makes sure the game is not lost. An example of this was the other night at Blackburn with horrendous weather and tired players and Clement went for the point and an extension of the unbeaten run. I see the Rams losing aroud 6 or 7 games at the most under Clement and the players we have got.  

While I'd love us never to lose again, unbeaten runs can sometimes have a negative affect as a team ends up trying not to lose rather than trying to win. Wins are far more important. The gumps aren't rivals for promotion so I'd rather take 6 points from the week and lose to them than the other options proferred.

Agreeing with you here. It's a long season and losses are almost inevitable. It's all about the reaction after losing!

Our form is good points wise and last two home games we have been far too good for the opposition. You have to make the most of the good runs, cos there's bound to be a wobble or two. Next three games are a good chance to keep it going and anything less than 7 points would be a disappointment. Qpr haven't fallen apart like I thought they might, so we need to watch them and the gumps no doubt will be up for it. But we should still get 7 points minimum. 

3 pts against Rotherham will finish off a good month for October.

Looking at November, its a bit tougher, QPR, Forest, Cardiff and Hull- like to win all.

But realistically I reckon 8 pts we be OK, wins against QPR and Cardiff in our home games and a point against Forest and we really need to nick something at Hull!

That would keep the momentum going and also keep the pressure on those around us.........

Archived