Kevin Phillips impact

loweman2

He was a proven goal scorer but I was a bit sceptical as to what he could bring to us, it would appear to be an inspired choice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34581461

"Recruiting former England international Kevin Phillips as part of Derby's new-look coaching set-up has made a big impact on the club's strikers, according to forward Chris Martin.

Phillips, who scored 285 goals during a 20-year career, was brought in by new head coach Paul Clement in September.

"For a front player he has been very good," Martin told BBC Radio Derby.

"With the experience he's got and the quality he had when he was a player, he's rubbing that off on the lads."

Martin, 26, has scored nine goals in 14 appearances this season, including two in Sunday's impressive 4-2 win over Wolves and his first for Scotland in the 6-0 victory against Gibraltar.

And he believes Phillips's personal touch has played a significant part in his form - and also helped the club win five and draw one of their last six games.

"We have done quite a few one-on-one sessions with the front players," added Martin.

"Most weeks we are getting two or three sessions of individual work as strikers and wide players working with Kevin and I think that is showing on the pitch with the quality we have going forward.

"I have a hit a little bit of form goalscoring-wise and managed to add to that with my first international goal."

Derby failed to win any of their first six games this season, but their impressive six-match unbeaten run since losing to Leeds United has seen the climb to sixth in the Championship table.

"We made eight or nine signings in the summer, on top of probably nine or 10 different members of staff coming in, so it's not going to happen over night," said Martin.

"We need that continuity with the manager getting to know the players in victory and defeat, and the players getting to know the manager and staff in those times as well.

"It's been very positive the progression we have shown. We have got better and better.

"There is really good competition in the squad. We have a real good group and a great team spirit. We are gelling together and starting to see the reward."

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without any inside knowledge, I'd perhaps guess/argue that it's not the players he's had a great impact on but Paul Clement instead.

Kevin Phillips was a great goal scorer but we can't say Martin is scoring because of him, as he's done it prolifically for 2 seasons previous to this. Russell is benefitting from a run in the team without injury or being ousted out. Ince is in fact scoring less and we have a couple goals from midfield.

Clement has said on more than one occasion, most recently in his post match interview after Sunday's game that we base our philosophy and approach to the game by being solid at the back and defensively aware. So I wonder if the arrival of Phillips has meant Clement has been more open to the swift attacking football we know we can play. We were absolutely fantastic on Sunday so it's not like our players had just forgot how to play that way at the beginning of the season.

Attacking wise since Kevin Phillips has arrived we look a different side. We certainly wouldn't have won 0 of our first 5 if we played the same 5 fixtures again. Perhaps not a huge impact on the finishing ability of players like Martin, but an impact on Clements mentality to how we play?

Leicester give some of the credit for Vardy's rise to Phillips:

"As well as the positional shift, Leicester’s staff point to the way Vardy has worked on refining his finishing skills by recognising the importance of placement over power at times – his brilliant opening goal against Arsenal this season was a case in point – and in doing so acknowledge the part that Kevin Phillips, the club’s former first-team coach who has since moved onto Derby County, played in that process."

(From the Guardian)

Notice Chris Martin's style of play has changed since Phillips came in, he was making a bad habits of dives before but now he's showing strength and power, I think his second goal at the weekend really showed how much stronger he's become 

As much as i live the guy, the diving is still very much a part of his game.

Autowindscreens - Vardy refining his finishing skills by recognising the importance of placement over power

This has got to be a key area. When you see the attempts on goal count, then the on target count, then the goals count, it looks very inefficient.

Nope, diving as much as ever. He did a really embarrassing one on Sunday. Beat Batth (again, he destroyed him all match) before turning back again and then taking a pretty shameful dive.

I don't really care, as he wins a lot of free kicks doing it, but don't try and make out he's stopped.

I was saying to my Dad I don't mind his diving as he plays for us and wins us free kicks. I do cringe a lot though due to it I'd hate him If he played against us.

Regarding Phillips on the way out of the stadium I was saying to my dad since he's came in how much we have improved. Of course it's not all down to him but he must have had some impact!

Notice Chris Martin's style of play has changed since Phillips came in, he was making a bad habits of dives before but now he's showing strength and power, I think his second goal at the weekend really showed how much stronger he's become 

Disagree. Hate to say bad words about the man as he's a goal scoring machine, but if I was his manager he'd be getting a bollok***g for it. Sunday he went down on the half way line nothing wrong with him, he didn't win the free kick instead of getting up he lay their as were attacking leaving no man in the box for Ince to cross too. So frustrating at times. If he ironed that out his game he'd be even more incredible.

I agree with the majority that Martin's diving can be embarrassing at times, but do any of you think there's another striker in this division that gets clattered as often as he does? Seems to be pushed, kicked or elbowed from behind about 4 or 5 times a game, never seems to deter him from his game though. 

He is a nightmare for his marker. Come tight when he receives the ball (like many do) to try to stop his flicks and hold up play and he is likely to fall and claim a free kick (get you booked ultimately). Give him a little space and he WILL hold the ball up, bring others into play, flick the ball off etc. From a defenders point of view stick or twist its their choice but our Chrissy is one difficult guy to mark. Oh by the way, did I mention that as well as his general play he has a goal every 1.81 games for Derby since he signed permanently? :thumbsup:

Problem is I think referee's are aware of his diving now and that will really backfire at times this season when he should be awarded a penalty and doesn't. I personally wish he would try and always stay on his feet as that means the times he goes to ground are genuine, but he's lost any reputation now of being able to do that.

Archived