I want to get carried away, but after last two seasons, I daren't

Mostyn6

Admittedly it was a great win today, and we appear to be able to turn domination and possession into chances.

Clement also appears to be growing into the role, and I struggle to be anything but impressed after his latest interview on Sky after today's result.

The only problem I have, which is preventing me from truly enjoying and basking in the glory of a convincing win against a good side, is the knowledge that we have been in great positions in the last two seasons, albeit under a different man in charge.

I should really be goading my Wolves-supporting mates and talking about our steady climb up the table, closing what some said was already an unassailable points difference only one month ago, but I find myself thinking about the next opposition ruining the mood.

Blackburn have traditionally been a tricky opponent for us, regardless of whatever form we are in, so I don't think Wednesday is a 'given' three points. Similarly, we were less than convincing today in defence, and whilst Carson looks steady, the two goals scored by Wolves showed a lack of dominance in our own area, and against someone like Jordan Rhodes, we could potentially be punished.

That said, I still expect us to have a handful of chances to win the game on Wednesday, and hopefully we will take those chances. There are still Derby fans out there that think we have played poorly, but to be only one point off second place, and probably only playing at 7/10 as a team should really provide more excitement, we are slowly creeping up towards reaching potential in my opinion, if we are close enough to beat teams like Blackburn away, remains to be seen, however, we beat Reading away and they are 2nd in the league.

All in all, I'm happy, but not ready to sing E I E I E I O yet.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Admittedly it was a great win today, and we appear to be able to turn domination and possession into chances.

Clement also appears to be growing into the role, and I struggle to be anything but impressed after his latest interview on Sky after today's result.

The only problem I have, which is preventing me from truly enjoying and basking in the glory of a convincing win against a good side, is the knowledge that we have been in great positions in the last two seasons, albeit under a different man in charge.

I should really be goading my Wolves-supporting mates and talking about our steady climb up the table, closing what some said was already an unassailable points difference only one month ago, but I find myself thinking about the next opposition ruining the mood.

Blackburn have traditionally been a tricky opponent for us, regardless of whatever form we are in, so I don't think Wednesday is a 'given' three points. Similarly, we were less than convincing today in defence, and whilst Carson looks steady, the two goals scored by Wolves showed a lack of dominance in our own area, and against someone like Jordan Rhodes, we could potentially be punished.

That said, I still expect us to have a handful of chances to win the game on Wednesday, and hopefully we will take those chances. There are still Derby fans out there that think we have played poorly, but to be only one point off second place, and probably only playing at 7/10 as a team should really provide more excitement, we are slowly creeping up towards reaching potential in my opinion, if we are close enough to beat teams like Blackburn away, remains to be seen, however, we beat Reading away and they are 2nd in the league.

Just enjoy it, don't worry about what may or may not happen next game. Crack open a beer and sing Wanky Wanderers all the way to the pub.

Just enjoy it, don't worry about what may or may not happen next game. Crack open a beer and sing Wanky Wanderers all the way to the pub.

How is "wanky" not a blocked word?! Mods need to look long and hard at themselves for this slip! :ph34r:

Anyway agree with this! Just enjoy it :) too often last season I was worried about falling at the last hurdle and I wish I'd just enjoyed it as it happened and let myself get carried away because I'd have been no more disappointed than I was after Reading - last game of the season. 

The foundation at Derby County is much stronger than it has been over the last two seasons. Clement expects a lot and is starting to get it. His last three clubs hardly ever lost a game. He does not know much about losing games. We lost one and we have now taken 16 out of 18 points since. McClaren would never have set a public target of at least 13 points out of 18, now 10 out of 15. Any player that does not want to give 100% will not be playing. Ince is on thin ice at present. Clement talks sense all the time and he is starting to look very much in charge. I would not knock on his door and ask for a starting place. I would already know the answer. Butterfield has to improve his game to get in this team. He now knows that he is at a much better club and will need to get better than he was when he got here. I think that he will do it. Some Derby Squad members are wondering how they can get in this team.

Rampage great post. Looking into your crystal ball where do you think we will finish this season? From your above post you don't seem to think we will have a melt down at the end like last season. I blame two things for us missing the play offs last season. Horrendous bad luck with injuries to key players throughout the season and McClaren's ongoing saga and speculation on whether he would be the next Newcastle manager and he took his eye off the ball!    

Great performance today and surely our goal of the season so far.

What's exciting for me is that we roundly beat a promotion rival with Thorne having a very sub-par game based on his usual standard, Forsyth having a poor game and Ince doing nothing. Imagine all eleven firing?

Ince worries me. What is the answer to getting him back to his form of last season?

Also, without this turning into a polarised "Is Russell any good?" thread, can you imagine if we had at least one true winger like Wolves' Henry?

Not sure I understand you @Mostyn6, you hate the Premier League and tell us so at every chance you get, another season of great football ending with the wheels falling off at the last minute would be perfect wouldn't it? Another season of cracking Championship football for you. :) 

Not sure I understand you @Mostyn6, you hate the Premier League and tell us so at every chance you get, another season of great football ending with the wheels falling off at the last minute would be perfect wouldn't it? Another season of cracking Championship football for you. :) 

I do hate the premier league (in terms of competitiveness) and think if we'd have gone up, we'd be rock bottom right now under McClaren. I'm not sure anything different will happen if we go up this under Clement. That doesn't mean defeat doesn't hurt, and my point is I don't want to get carried away that we are a great side if we then go and have our pants pulled down by Blackburn Rovers on Weds.

I stated in my posts,early season,that this squad is very strong at this level,we are starting to play as we all expected,but I feel even after today's performance there's more to come,so as I stated all season,this is going to be a special season I can feel it,so let's all enjoy the ride.

I do hate the premier league (in terms of competitiveness) and think if we'd have gone up, we'd be rock bottom right now under McClaren. I'm not sure anything different will happen if we go up this under Clement. That doesn't mean defeat doesn't hurt, and my point is I don't want to get carried away that we are a great side if we then go and have our pants pulled down by Blackburn Rovers on Weds.

Quoting you so you know I'm talking to you, even tho you are beneath me......it's football, just enjoy each game as it comes, don't start thinking about where we are in May, way too early for that. Clement could resign, the whole squad decimated by a deadly limb eating virus or an astroid hits the iPro....start working about promotion now the season will be over before you know it and you didn't get to enjoy any of it whatever the outcome.

I do think massive credit should go to the arrival of Johnson, i know much is already being said but he really has knitted us together, before he came we were struggling to link midfield and attack together, which he has done, he also does the dirty side too which is good to see. Exciting times, as has been said sit back and enjoy the journey, if we knew the outcome it would be boring.

Your right to be cautious I think we all are but the signs are pretty good at the moment. 

This is a tough league and I think Clement realizes that to be honest. 

Still a lot to work on for the manager and players to do  but we are sitting in a good position in the league and on a good run. 

Winning games becomes a habit. 

It's not bad, is it, when the perennial need for a scapegoat settles upon the shoulders of Tom Ince. Already we are seeing the '...never rated him', '...show pony', '...waste of money' and '...only plays well when he wants a contract' comments.

He is perceived by opposition defences as a key danger man, consequently he is invariably double-marked. All this means is that they are not paying as much attention to the likes of Johnson, Russell etc. Admittedly he's not firing on all cylinders at the moment, but it's worth remembering that he was instrumental in the victories at Reading and MK Dons - the wins that kick-started our season - and that was only a month or so ago.

It's not bad, is it, when the perennial need for a scapegoat settles upon the shoulders of Tom Ince. Already we are seeing the '...never rated him', '...show pony', '...waste of money' and '...only plays well when he wants a contract' comments.

He is perceived by opposition defences as a key danger man, consequently he is invariably double-marked. All this means is that they are not paying as much attention to the likes of Johnson, Russell etc. Admittedly he's not firing on all cylinders at the moment, but it's worth remembering that he was instrumental in the victories at Reading and MK Dons - the wins that kick-started our season - and that was only a month or so ago.

Spot on Eddie and after Sunday the chances are that Blackburn will stick 2 men on Johnson thinking that he is the danger man and that Ince didn't look to dangerous, Ince will rip them apart and score a couple with a bit more freedom. That's the good thing about having a team with 4 or 5 danger men.

Rampage great post. Looking into your crystal ball where do you think we will finish this season? From your above post you don't seem to think we will have a melt down at the end like last season. I blame two things for us missing the play offs last season. Horrendous bad luck with injuries to key players throughout the season and McClaren's ongoing saga and speculation on whether he would be t:De next Newcastle manager and he took his eye off the ball!    

Top three for sure, 70% chance of second and 30% chance of winning it. If we lose Martin or Thorne or Johnson it could get awkward, if we lose two, then playoffs. This year is a titanic battle. No team will give any quarter. We must try to take an average of four points off our rivals and we must not let any of them take six points off us. So many of our rivals will take points off each other and we must take advantage of that. I am now convinced that how we play is of secondary importance. We need wins in abundance. The level of determination to win is now very evident. The malaise of last year appears to be conquered.. 

Ince is being left in the corner with two or three men to beat from a standing start. Ince needs space and he will destroy teams. He must have support to play one-twos to cut inside and score, like we saw last season.

Do what I do @Mostyn6, enjoy every game, think we'll win em all, and if it doesn't happen, so what you'll be here for the next one!

So many times i read on here people who want to enjoy it, but worry it makes them look big-headed, or somehow they'll jinx it, or worse they'll be quoted by opposition fans.

Fook 'em, go into every game thinking we'll win, treat every year as our year, if you're wrong so what, there's always next week or season to be proved right!

I don't give a toss what others think, I've no time for outsiders giving it I told you so, once I'll be right and that's all I need to get by!

Archived