Ten games in - what have we learned?

Bris Vegas

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost started a thread on this the other day, Baird as captain may have been Clements first mistake, although not one that I will hold against him. Pre season Baird was great, and despite Shackell being the fans favourite option he arrived pretty late into the squad to be seriously considered. 

I don't think Baird is anywhere near as bad as people are saying but I don't see him as an obvious starter with a full strength team with Thorne fit and Christie returning to form. 

Thankfully the team is littered with players that have captained other teams so maybe not a big deal. I get the feeling that we maybe looking at a Baird club captain situation like Barker was and Martin on the pitch. 

How much it all matters anyway I don't know, one for the players to answer, I'd be surprised if Baird wasn't popular behind the scenes and at an age, just a day older than me would be fairly intelligent again like me enough to not rock the boat with not playing.

I think Baird has been over criticised too. I think he has played well at RB and is better defensively than Christie. When he played DCM he was often left isolated by Johnson and Butterfield both pressing 20 metres ahead of him. 

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is probably the most asinine comment that Bris has come out with - well, in the last couple of hours at any rate. I am absolutely flabbergasted that anybody could be so arrogant.

Why Eddie? Were people arrogant when they booed Phil Brown after ten games? 

Do you think the doubters then were too hasty? Should Derby have given him until the end of the season?

Almost started a thread on this the other day, Baird as captain may have been Clements first mistake, although not one that I will hold against him. Pre season Baird was great, and despite Shackell being the fans favourite option he arrived pretty late into the squad to be seriously considered. 

I don't think Baird is anywhere near as bad as people are saying but I don't see him as an obvious starter with a full strength team with Thorne fit and Christie returning to form. 

Thankfully the team is littered with players that have captained other teams so maybe not a big deal. I get the feeling that we maybe looking at a Baird club captain situation like Barker was and Martin on the pitch. 

How much it all matters anyway I don't know, one for the players to answer, I'd be surprised if Baird wasn't popular behind the scenes and at an age, just a day older than me would be fairly intelligent again like me enough to not rock the boat with not playing.

Agree with what your saying , if you put your self in pc s shoes ! You come into a club the natural thing to do would be keep the current club captain in place and see were the land lies . But there was no captain in place , keogh sempt like the weight of the world was on his shoulders , shackell was signed too late in the window to be considered so Baird was his obvious choice .

Like you mentioned daveo I think we're going to have a Barker club captain situation on our hands , Baird will start a fair few games due to his versatility but probably won't be first choice in any of his many postions ! 

Why Eddie? Were people arrogant when they booed Phil Brown after ten games? 

Do you think the doubters then were too hasty? Should Derby have given him until the end of the season?

Not really a fair comparison is it, Weimann has played 308 minutes of football which is almost 3 and half games, Bent even less at 131 minutes.

Phil Brown was in charge of the lineup, formation, tactics, substitutions for the entire games. 

*Stats are taken from http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk, if they differ from the OPTA stats you have I will stand corrected.

I will give my thoughts on the signings at the end of the season, give them a chance, not 10 games 

As an interesting analogy, how many games would you scout a player for before making your mind up you want to sign him.

Players can improve and go up and down in form. If Butterfield doesn't improve £4,75m will look like a waste of money. However he has previously played in a way that suits us and looks like the type of player we need. Therefore I will wait in anticipation for him to improve.

I would be less critical of Bent and Weimann's signing if we had only signed one of them and if they weren't amongst our top earners sitting on the bench, The one saving grace is we aren't exactly on a tight budget and were still able to buy more players.

As an interesting analogy, how many games would you scout a player for before making your mind up you want to sign him.

Players can improve and go up and down in form. If Butterfield doesn't improve £4,75m will look like a waste of money. However he has previously played in a way that suits us and looks like the type of player we need. Therefore I will wait in anticipation for him to improve.

I would be less critical of Bent and Weimann's signing if we had only signed one of them and if they weren't amongst our top earners sitting on the bench, The one saving grace is we aren't exactly on a tight budget and were still able to buy more players.

I honestly don't know, not a cop out, I've just never been in that kind of position to advise a club on where to spend their money and some scouts like Mo Camera for example have been involved in the game and watched more football than most of us on here. 

Players like Weimann scouts would have seen on TV a fair amount as well playing in the Prem and Bent isn't exactly an unknown. 

I also have no idea what kind of money these 2 are on, I know Bris said he's one of the most expensive subs in the Championship but that's all guess work surely and if we can afford it, should it matter to us as fans? 

Bent may only come on for 5 minutes here and there but points like those at MK Dons could prove to be invaluable come the end of the season and well worth what ever Bent is on in the grand scheme of things.  

I would presume most players are scouted over a considerably longer time than 10 games ! Good scouts will have been following players for years maybe not in depth but they will know!  

I haven't read the topic, so I'm just saying what I've learned as I'll portably repeat what many have said

I was right to not like the idea of selling Keogh

Shackell has been excellent, as most expected

Johnson has been very good, as most expected

Carson, after coming from a team just relegated, has not looked out of place whatsoever (Let's just forget that little blip against Dons, k?)

Martin is our Lord and Saviour Amen

Russell is like a new signing and has more fight in him than I expected

Ince has started to pick up from where he left off, as I had hoped

I was right to hope Hendrick wouldn't be sold, which makes me very happy

Warnock actually has a use

Christie has come good, as I had hoped

Clement is adapting to being in the hot seat

I would presume most players are scouted over a considerably longer time than 10 games ! Good scouts will have been following players for years maybe not in depth but they will know!  

I would have thought if you watched them more than ten times, then they would have had to shown something to keep you watching. 

I would certainly think it would take less than ten to see what kind of player they are and how they would fit your club. I don't think we needed to sign Weimann AND Bent. Happy to be proved wrong though.

I would have thought if you watched them more than ten times, then they would have had to shown something to keep you watching. 

I would certainly think it would take less than ten to see what kind of player they are and how they would fit your club. I don't think we needed to sign Weimann AND Bent. Happy to be proved wrong though.

granted both were probably not needed ! But I don't think either were pc s signings ! Yeah he probably had to agree them but think they were both done and dusted before pc arrived ! I still think both will bring us dimensions we don't currently have , bent can always nick you a goal while not always bringing much else to the game . Regarding Weimann he has pace , and can play in a number of postions across the front ! Let's wait and see .

granted both were probably not needed ! But I don't think either were pc s signings ! Yeah he probably had to agree them but think they were both done and dusted before pc arrived ! I still think both will bring us dimensions we don't currently have , bent can always nick you a goal while not always bringing much else to the game . Regarding Weimann he has pace , and can play in a number of postions across the front ! Let's wait and see .

Yes i agree, 

Back on topic.....

10 games in...

• Joint best defence, 7 goals conceded
  • Lost 1 game, 2nd best behind Brighton
  • 3 points off automatic promotion place

All this with a pretty awful run of injuries, new players, new Head Coach and backroom staff.

Most Derby fans I would suggest, believe there is better to come as PC and the players get used to each other.

Slow, steady start, strong squad and some unbelievable talent starting to gain confidence. If you are not excited and looking forward to the rest of the season then, you really shunt be a football fan.

We have power, pace, skill and a solid spine through the team, a blend of youth and experience....we are going up without a shadow of a doubt.

I think we've learnt that this manager is more cautious than the last one. We probably won't blow teams away like we did on occasions in the last couple of seasons, but we probably won't be caught out by a sucker punch and lose like we did last season too.

Midfield now looks powerful and can dominate games.

Shackell seems to have calmed the defence and we don't seem to make silly mistakes now.

I'd like to see Weimann given a go on the right side of the front 3.

Bent does seem a waste, but if he comes off the bench and wins us 3 or 4 games it could be worth it.

Well that has pretty much saved me having to type my thoughts out!

Learned that Keogh is proving me wrong and has reverted to the form he showed when he first arrived. Having his emotions under control seems to have helped no end.

No.1  We maybe expected an unrefusable offer for Martin in the summer, hence signing both Bent and Wiemann. No reason to sign both unless Martin was out the picture, without him I'd imagine we'd go 2 up top, seeing as he's so hard to replace. At least that's an option for us if he gets injured.

No.2  Settled back 4's are overrated, turns out it's just the centre backs that need to play every week.

No.3  Carson's a long way from being a washed up squad member earning a living off former glories, as some claimed when he signed.

No.4  Whoever was behind signing Bradley Johnson, thanks, exactly what was needed and will prove to be worth every penny I'm sure.

No.5  Keogh, if only he had the foresight to wear his armband round his head 2 years ago, we'd be in the Europa League by now! 

No. 6  Thorne, if he stays fit we go up, simple as. Good job too, will give us a chance to enjoy him a season longer before his inevitable multi-million pound move to a massive club, can't wait to see him back at 100% fitness.

Archived