Ten games in - what have we learned?

Bris Vegas

No, but he was a major factor.

Our system, shape and style went to pot with him in the team. We would have fared much better with someone less prolific in terms of goals, but more attributed to holding up play, providing an outlet and linking with the rest of the team.

We would have made the playoffs at least had we loaned in Kenweyne Jones instead of Bent.

nonsense. The way you talk, you'd think the ball is at Martin's feet for 90 minutes a game and Martin's absence made Grant throw the ball in the net a few times! Perhaps spend a bit more time actually watching the game instead of trying to invent new theories for HITC!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really remember Martin's first ten games in all honesty, don't think I actually saw much of him so I can't answer that.

We had the players to play 4-3-3 at the beginning of the season, yet Clement opted not to and that decision largely was responsible for our awful League Cup performance and ensuing exit.

Regarding the change of system, I doubt that. As more than half our our team play much better in a 4-3-3. I still think we've messed up by not bringing in another winger and Martin alternative.

I guess we could also dip into the loan market if needs be.

I remember Martin's first game, I remember some of the ironic cheers when he was subbed for Sammon against Millwall and the stick he got in various games....then people moaning when we signed him on a free. Thank god he wasn't wrote off after 10 games.

nonsense. The way you talk, you'd think the ball is at Martin's feet for 90 minutes a game and Martin's absence made Grant throw the ball in the net a few times! Perhaps spend a bit more time actually watching the game instead of trying to invent new theories for HITC!

No, but the whole team has an outlet with Martin playing - one that doesn't exist under Bent.

Regarding that Wolves game, watch the highlights again. That first goal conceded was a direct result of Forsyth having no outlet to play the ball. There was a huge gaping whole in the middle.

The entire system, positioning of the players and mentality went to pot because there was no longer an outball.

I watch games Mostyn, I know my football. That side suffered massively as a result of Bent being unable to play the CF role. I don't know how anyone can argue that - it's about as obvious as it comes.

Defensively, as in team shape defensively, we were far weaker with Bent up top as he applied no pressure, didn't defend from the front, gave our team no outlet and prompted an increase in pressure on the back four.

The moment he came into the team instead of Martin, our shots per game conceded increased a lot.

Obviously the lack of DM didn't help either. But had Martin stayed fit or we bought in a proper replacement, we would have made the top six.

No, but the whole team has an outlet with Martin playing - one that doesn't exist under Bent.

Regarding that Wolves game, watch the highlights again. That first goal conceded was a direct result of Forsyth having no outlet to play the ball. There was a huge gaping whole in the middle.

The entire system, positioning of the players and mentality went to pot because there was no longer an outball.

I watch games Mostyn, I know my football. That side suffered massively as a result of Bent being unable to play the CF role. I don't know how anyone can argue that - it's about as obvious as it comes.

Defensively, as in team shape defensively, we were far weaker with Bent up top as he applied no pressure, didn't defend from the front, gave our team no outlet and prompted an increase in pressure on the back four.

The moment he came into the team instead of Martin, our shots per game conceded increased a lot.

Obviously the lack of DM didn't help either. But had Martin stayed fit or we bought in a proper replacement, we would have made the top six.

So far this season Martin can't hold ***** and keeps falling on his arse.

So far this season Martin can't hold ***** and keeps falling on his arse.

Martin has been below standard in some of his general play. But as a team we've had far more success playing 4-3-3 with Martin through the middle than any other formation this season.

Martin has been below standard in some of his general play. But as a team we've had far more success playing 4-3-3 with Martin through the middle than any other formation this season.

We've barely seen a diamond or two up top kind of formation. What if we stuck Bent up top with Weimann for a few games, it worked and we looked good all over? 

No, but he was a major factor.

Our system, shape and style went to pot with him in the team. We would have fared much better with someone less prolific in terms of goals, but more attributed to holding up play, providing an outlet and linking with the rest of the team.

We would have made the playoffs at least had we loaned in Kenweyne Jones instead of Bent.

You cannot possibly know that.  You may be right but equally so maybe not. 

There were more issues than simply not having a ball holding CF.  It is not like we were under the cosh for 90 minutes scoring no goals we were scoring plenty! You make a good point but I am not sure you are dead on the money with it to be honest. 

Archived