Ten games in - what have we learned?

Bris Vegas

As we're doing a 10 game review, Ince, how has he performed so far this season? Hasn't looked the best has he, not that I'm writing him off just yet. Too early for that.

Mixed bag. He got played behind the CF pre-season and in some early games and didn't look comfortable. It's no great surprise that he has gradually improved as he is now playing RW in a 4-3-3. 

In your eagerness to point the finger you seem to have conveniently forgotten that it was you who pointed out that Clement has said he is struggling to accommodate Bent and Weimann in our system. A comment that was made a week before Evans left.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In your eagerness to point the finger you seem to have conveniently forgotten that it was you who pointed out that Clement has said he is struggling to accommodate Bent and Weimann in our system. A comment that was made a week before Evans left.

I've not forgotten, I've even said in this thread about Clement agreeing that Weimann isn't a wide man, it still doesn't make them poor signings, it means they don't fit into our current Plan A which is always subject to change with injuries. Football is a squad game, I'm happy for us not to put all our eggs into one basket and have several different options that Clement can call upon.

I've not forgotten, I've even said in this thread about Clement agreeing that Weimann isn't a wide man, it still doesn't make them poor signings, it means they don't fit into our current Plan A which is always subject to change with injuries. Football is a squad game, I'm happy for us not to put all our eggs into one basket and have several different options that Clement can call upon.

Genuine question. Would you rather

- Weimann was a Johnny Russell clone (capable of playing on either wing).

- Weimann being just Weimann. Not a wide player, but perhaps good enough to feature in another system.

Genuine question. Would you rather

- Weimann was a Johnny Russell clone (capable of playing on either wing).

- Weimann being just Weimann. Not a wide player, but perhaps good enough to feature in another system.

Weimann being Weimann, I'm not into clones, I like options, lots of options which we have right now.

Say we have a Martin clone sat on the bench, on the pitch Martin isn't having the best of games, he's got a defender on his arse all game and can't shake him off, what do we do? bring on the Martin clone to do the exact same job or bring on Weimann for Thorne and Bent for Martin, switch 4-2-3-1 and try something different?

Weimann being Weimann, I'm not into clones, I like options, lots of options which we have right now.

Say we have a Martin clone sat on the bench, on the pitch Martin isn't having the best of games, he's got a defender on his arse all game and can't shake him off, what do we do? bring on the Martin clone to do the exact same job or bring on Weimann for Thorne and Bent for Martin, switch 4-2-3-1 and try something different?

I would prefer to see an Ibe clone as a 3rd winger, someone with outstanding pace.

In terms of Martin cover/alternative you need to someone to play that role, but they don't need to be a clone, they could be stronger like Nuhia or more mobile like Donaldson. But they need to be able to play as a lone striker and link play.   

I would prefer to see an Ibe clone as a 3rd winger, someone with outstanding pace.

In terms of Martin cover/alternative you need to someone to play that role, but they don't need to be a clone, they could be stronger like Nuhia or more mobile like Donaldson. But they need to be able to play as a lone striker and link play.   

To me it's like having a wardrobe full of grey t shirts and blue jeans, all slightly different shades but still blue and grey.

Then you have a job interview and all you have is a grey t shirt or blue jeans, you lose the job as you didn't have any alternative clothing.

To me it's like having a wardrobe full of grey t shirts and blue jeans, all slightly different shades but still blue and grey.

Then you have a job interview and all you have is a grey t shirt or blue jeans, you lose the job as you didn't have any alternative clothing.

Why change something which isn't broken though?

How many times have Swansea City changed formation over the past eight years or so? You only have to look at their list of strikers to see they've all had the same sort of attributes needed to succeed.

No team will ever win everygame, therefore there is no need to make drastic changes when soemthing doesn't work out.

Having options is not helpful when your options forces a system change, resulting in fellow players becoming weaker in plan B system and underperforming.

We've all seen how much we struggle with a midfield two, how Ince is wasted through the middle, how our fullbacks are exposed with no real wingers to protect them.

While someone like Man City could get away with having 30 players, numerous options and systems to play. We're a Championship team in a very competitive league.

Getting 90% out of your ten outfield players is far better than gettng 90% out of two outfield players, and 60% out of the following eight outfied players due to a system change which benefits only two players.

I've learned that Thorne is vital. When he doesn't play then nobody takes the ball and has the speed of thought and passing aggression to get us facing the right way. 

Without Hughes we need him more than we needed him last season. 

Why change something which isn't broken though?

Like the MK Dons game?

How many times have Swansea City changed formation over the past eight years or so? You only have to look at their list of strikers to see they've all had the same sort of attributes needed to succeed.

I haven't seen much of Swansea so pass

No team will ever win everygame, therefore there is no need to make drastic changes when soemthing doesn't work out.

I don't think making a couple of changes is drastic, I'm not suggesting we go from 4-3-3 to 5-2-3-1

Having options is not helpful when your options forces a system change, resulting in fellow players becoming weaker in plan B system and underperforming.

You're telling me that footballers are not capable of playing 2 formations? does that mean we can only sign players that come from playing a 4-3-3?

We've all seen how much we struggle with a midfield two, how Ince is wasted through the middle, how our fullbacks are exposed with no real wingers to protect them.

A 4-2-3-1 still gives the midfield 2, Ince and Russell out wide with Weimann down the centre. Russell and Ince will still need to drop back as they would in a 4-3-3

While someone like Man City could get away with having 30 players, numerous options and systems to play. We're a Championship team in a very competitive league.

So only Premier League sides are able to have different options? Championship sides are stuck with a Plan A or nothing?

Getting 90% out of your ten outfield players is far better than gettng 90% out of two outfield players, and 60% out of the following eight outfied players due to a system change which benefits only two players.

Our players are more than capable of playing a different formation in a bid to change a game, give them some credit. We're looking to go up, we will get slaughtered up there with a 4-3-3, imagine playing Arsenal, it would be double figures. If they are struggling with different formations it's better they learn now and quick or get rid.

I don't need to give them an entire season to write them off.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is probably the most asinine comment that Bris has come out with - well, in the last couple of hours at any rate. I am absolutely flabbergasted that anybody could be so arrogant.

Like the MK Dons game?

I haven't seen much of Swansea so pass

I don't think making a couple of changes is drastic, I'm not suggesting we go from 4-3-3 to 5-2-3-1

You're telling me that footballers are not capable of playing 2 formations? does that mean we can only sign players that come from playing a 4-3-3?

A 4-2-3-1 still gives the midfield 2, Ince and Russell out wide with Weimann down the centre. Russell and Ince will still need to drop back as they would in a 4-3-3

So only Premier League sides are able to have different options? Championship sides are stuck with a Plan A or nothing?

Our players are more than capable of playing a different formation in a bid to change a game, give them some credit. We're looking to go up, we will get slaughtered up there with a 4-3-3, imagine playing Arsenal, it would be double figures. 

I've also learnt that Dav is really enjoying the quote fuction.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is probably the most asinine comment that Bris has come out with - well, in the last couple of hours at any rate. I am absolutely flabbergasted that anybody could be so arrogant.

Its only arrogant if he thinks his opinion matters....

10 games in is still not long ! So probably not learned a lot ! Still learning ! 

I think it's quite clear too see the Weimann , bent and Pearce signings were not pc s choice but all could yet still to prove valuable squad members . 

Personally I like what I'm seeing so far if I had any cristicm of pc it would be the appointment of Baird as Captain but hey the man's learning !

What I've learnt after ten games...

Not to deconstruct every game to death....

Not to single out players for their failings. Will admit I've had previous doing this....

That sometimes a change in formation does work if playing poorly... (See MK Dons)

That the back four seem solid again... 

Carson is the signing of the season for me. Best distribution from a GK at  Derby County in all my watching years....

And finally.... Not being assed with winning internet points anymore....

And if we do lose... We can pretend we care about Forests attendance to make you feel a small glow in yer belly...

Personally I like what I'm seeing so far if I had any cristicm of pc it would be the appointment of Baird as Captain but hey the man's learning !

Almost started a thread on this the other day, Baird as captain may have been Clements first mistake, although not one that I will hold against him. Pre season Baird was great, and despite Shackell being the fans favourite option he arrived pretty late into the squad to be seriously considered. 

I don't think Baird is anywhere near as bad as people are saying but I don't see him as an obvious starter with a full strength team with Thorne fit and Christie returning to form. 

Thankfully the team is littered with players that have captained other teams so maybe not a big deal. I get the feeling that we maybe looking at a Baird club captain situation like Barker was and Martin on the pitch. 

How much it all matters anyway I don't know, one for the players to answer, I'd be surprised if Baird wasn't popular behind the scenes and at an age, just a day older than me would be fairly intelligent again like me enough to not rock the boat with not playing.

Archived