Ten games in - what have we learned?

Bris Vegas

4-3-3 is our best formation. Didn't really take a genius to work that one out.

Andreas Weimann was a poor buy - doesn't fit in our preferred system which was stressed quite a number of times on his arrival.

Darren Bent is probably the most expensively paid sub in the Championship. It's not my money, so I don't care. He's handy for the last five minutes of matches, nothing more.

Bradley Johnson is a superb signing. Well done recruitment team.

Alex Pearce where art thou? Why did we sign him? Even my Reading mate was baffled by this.

Scott Carson is much more reliable than Grant. I've been impressed, and admit I was wrong to dismiss this signing when it happened.

Performances have been really strange. We robbed MK Dons, and we probably would have lost at Reading had they not gone down to 10 men. Much better against Brentford though and unlucky not to beat Burnley. Still think top two is out of reach, 

Anybody else want to add something?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4-3-3 is our best formation. Didn't really take a genius to work that one out.

Andres Weimann was a poor buy - doesn't fit in our preferred system which was stressed quite a number of times on his arrival.

Darren Bent is probably the most expensively paid sub in the Championship. It's not my money, so I don't care. He's handy for the last five minutes of matches, nothing more.

Bradley Johnson is a superb signing. Well done recruitment team.

Alex Pearce where art thou? Why did we sign him? Even my Reading mate was baffled by this.

Scott Carson is much more reliable than Grant. I've been impressed, and admit I was wrong to dismiss this signing when it happened.

Performances have been really strange. We robbed MK Dons, and we probably would have lost at Reading had they not gone down to 10 men. Much better against Brentford though and unlucky not to beat Burnley. Still think top two is out of reach, 

Anybody else want to add something?

Generally speaking our signings got better as the summer went on.

Three signings we don't need (in terms of type of player)

If and when Butterfield picks up form, we could make top two, 

I would still like Martin cover, another winger and a footballing full back.

I will give my thoughts on the signings at the end of the season, give them a chance, not 10 games 

I don't need to give them an entire season to write them off. If they were playing in their preferred role and just underperforming, by all means give them time to see if they can turn it around.

But when they're struggling because they're being badly misused, then I can see that they're poor signings. I'm not calling Weimann a poor player, just a poor signing from our part.

Weimann reminds me of a slighlty more skillful Jamie Mackie.

I've learned that Simon Dawkins is probably the best centre midfield player in the UK.

Is he even in the UK? Thought he was back in Jamaica right now? I can't see him getting in with our options now, unfortunately. I love him as a player though, technically beautiful.

Bradly Johnson has lesser technique but is naturally a dominant player. Great physique and strength on the ball, intelligent too. Will prove to be a great asset.

I don't need to give them an entire season to write them off. If they were playing in their preferred role and just underperforming, by all means give them time to see if they can turn it around.

But when they're struggling because they're being badly misused, then I can see that they're poor signings. I'm not calling Weimann a poor player, just a poor signing from our part.

Weimann reminds me of a slighlty more skillful Jamie Mackie.

We're 10 games in with a new head coach, new to the job, new ideas, still finding out his best team whilst suffering huge injuries in the process. Writing any player off as a bad signing after 10 games is just ridiculous, really it is. I'll wait until the end of the season.

We're 10 games in with a new head coach, new to the job, new ideas, still finding out his best team whilst suffering huge injuries in the process. Writing any player off as a bad signing after 10 games is just ridiculous, really it is. I'll wait until the end of the season.

Why is it ridiculous? You can clearly see when players simply don't fit, or are simply rubbish. A player with any talent will always go through spells of playing badly, and that could be at the very start of their time at a new club.

To say we must judge after a complete season is ridiculous. Liverpool didn't with Mario Balotelli, and rightly so.

The ideas should be based on the evidence infront of you. Clement, being new in the job, should have known our players' capabilities and how 4-3-3 was the only logical option to get the best out of our players.

We have learned that Paul Clement might be up to the job after all - he is visibly growing into the role.

That Bent we could live without.

That we were very light in midfield until we signed Butters and Brad.

That Christie with confidence could be a very good player. 

That Warnock can do a job for us after all

That we've got some backbone in the squad after all

That Russell isn't going to be benched without a fight

That we've potential to be a very good side but we're not there yet. I'd place us at "good" now but only time will tell if it's good enough.

Oh, and, yeah.......4-3-3 but I think we have more options to change things now.

...and we already knew Thorne was awesome.

To answer the question tho Ten games in - what have we learned?

That fans are far too quick to judge.

Ten games is sufficient time to judge whether a player is right for your system. In fact, that's arguably too much time.

Too quick to judge? I don't see the logic.

I wouldn't be with a girl or a car for a year first before deciding if they're good for me, I should be able to know much sooner than and in football the same applies. 

I didn't need a year to see that players such as Stern John, Claude Davis and Jay McEverly weren't right for Derby.

Why is it ridiculous? You can clearly see when players simply don't fit, or are simply rubbish.

Chris Martin when he first joined, how would you have rated him 10 games in? would you have predicted him would go on to be a 20 goal a season striker and become a vital part of the team? If you saw that can I ask what the lottery numbers are this weekend

The ideas should be based on the evidence infront of you. Clement, being new in the job, should have known our players' capabilities and how 4-3-3 was the only logical option to get the best out of our players.

You do realise that we had injuries, we simply didn't have the players to go with 4-3-3, now we've signed Johnson and Butterfield we have. 

In the next 2 weeks Martin could be ruled out for the season, Ince could be out till the new year allowing both Bent and Weimann into the team, a new system that could be even better suited to us. Football can change so quickly and to call any signing poor 10 games in is ridiculous. To be fair you was doing it before a ball has been kicked so at least you're consistent.

10 games in I can say I've learned very little about Weimann, and if that remains the same come the end of the season then he was a bad signing but that's how long I'll give him.

As Cam says, I've learned I and many others were correct in our defence of Keogh, and also my faith in Christie. 

We spoke before the captaincy was given, and we all agreed it didn't really matter, but it's not looking like (after 10 games may I emphasise) that Baird was the right choice, as he's already lost his place.

That Johnny Russell has been underperforming every season before this.

10 games is a reasonable point to make and initial assessment.

Chris Martin 10 games in after joining us, initial assessments would be miles off from what we're seeing today.

If we were reviewing just form alone great, no problems, I'll join in with that. it's the writing them off as bad signings which isn't reasonable at this time. They were also written off by Bris before a ball was even kicked, just feels like a I told you so thread and it's just turned October.

Chris Martin when he first joined, how would you have rated him 10 games in? would you have predicted him would go on to be a 20 goal a season striker and become a vital part of the team? If you saw that can I ask what the lottery numbers are this weekend

You do realise that we had injuries, we simply didn't have the players to go with 4-3-3, now we've signed Johnson and Butterfield we have. 

In the next 2 weeks Martin could be ruled out for the season, Ince could be out till the new year allowing both Bent and Weimann into the team, a new system that could be even better suited to us. Football can change so quickly and to call any signing poor 10 games in is ridiculous. To be fair you was doing it before a ball has been kicked so at least you're consistent.

I don't really remember Martin's first ten games in all honesty, don't think I actually saw much of him so I can't answer that.

We had the players to play 4-3-3 at the beginning of the season, yet Clement opted not to and that decision largely was responsible for our awful League Cup performance and ensuing exit.

Regarding the change of system, I doubt that. As more than half our our team play much better in a 4-3-3. I still think we've messed up by not bringing in another winger and Martin alternative.

I guess we could also dip into the loan market if needs be.

Archived