Ten games in - what have we learned?

Bris Vegas

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you saying give them a chance and not ten games. Utter hypocrisy.

I bet you weren't willing the board to give Phil Brown until the end of the season in order to make a proper judgement.

You were probably gunning for his head along with the other thousands of supporters chanting 'You don't know what you're doing' during a 1-1 draw with Leicester City on the first of October 2005.

Derby boss Phil Brown on the reaction to Paul Peschisolido's substitution:
"He played a full 90 minutes earlier in the week.

"There was fatigue in those legs. If any of the supporters had seen him training they would have realised. People said I don't know what I'm doing but I do and I don't have to justify my substitutions for anyone."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_1/4277782.stm

I don't really remember Martin's first ten games in all honesty, don't think I actually saw much of him so I can't answer that.

He was poor, ok maybe average at best. Not one person would have predicted the 20 goal a season striker, no chance.

We had the players to play 4-3-3 at the beginning of the season, yet Clement opted not to and that decision largely was responsible for our awful League Cup performance and ensuing exit.

Having watched back our decline last season maybe Clement wanted to try something new, it's great looking back with hindsight now but I won't knock him for playing around with the system. McClaren didn't walk in and stick to Clough's blueprints, nor does any new manager.

Regarding the change of system, I doubt that. As more than half our our team play much better in a 4-3-3. I still think we've messed up by not bringing in another winger and Martin alternative.

I guess we could also dip into the loan market if needs be.

It's the one position I think we're light on, would agree there, an injury to either Russell or Ince would mean a change of system, Clement has already agreed that Weimann is no wide player. Exactly my point tho, one injury can change the system and without a crystal ball it would be impossible to say it couldn't be improved.

We haven't been playing that great with 4-3-3 but we are picking up results which is all that matters I guess.

Well i ain't writing Weimann off just yet ..

Good good, he just needs a goal then kick on from there. Look at Incey though just saying! :) 

Lots. How many games did we win? 

How many games did we win with him in the side?

It's a team game, after all.

How many players did we have out injured?

And in other threads I am led to believe that the entire team gave up trying because McClaren refused to commit to Derby until he passed away. 

But to answer your question I would guess roughly the same amount as we did with Tom Ince in the team. 

How many players did we have out injured?

And in other threads I am led to believe that the entire team gave up trying because McClaren refused to commit to Derby until he passed away. 

But to answer your question I would guess roughly the same amount as we did with Tom Ince in the team. 

To answer yours, Ince didn't change our pattern of play as much as Bent did.

To answer yours, Ince didn't change our pattern of play as much as Bent did.

As we're doing a 10 game review, Ince, how has he performed so far this season? Hasn't looked the best has he, not that I'm writing him off just yet. Too early for that.

There are 46 games in a season. We had an easy set of fixtures in the first five games and did not take enough points. We needed about 10 out of 15 from them. The next five were harder and 8 out of 15 without losing to Burnley would have been acceptable. So for me, we are one point off where we should be at this stage. Easy to make up. Next four games need to be won then a series of crunch matches in November and December that will define the season. We need a quality right or left back and a very crafty, experienced striker at Xmas on loan with a view to buy them.

We've learned that we have a massive squad, and it seems to have already paid dividends. New manager, new system, new players and what can only be described as an injury disaster to star the season, yet we're running along at 1.7 points per game after 10. We managed to lose Hughes and Bryson and at times Thorne, Hendrick, Baird and even Hanson, yet kept it ticking over, and ultimately only have one loss to our name. 

We started slower than some would have liked, but that's understandable in the circumstances. The real question now is how having such a large squad will change the dynamic at the club for the season. We've already seen Hendrick battle back his position from Butterfield, and put in a performance deserving of the faith. Russell started the season on top form and not only won his place back against stiff competition from new signings, but also a new deal. 

I do wonder how Pearce, Bent and Weimann must be feeling right now though. I'd hope that they realised the competition for places was this high when they arrived. I'd assume Bent new he was up against it with Martin here, but with Shackell arriving after Pearce you'd have to wonder if he initially assumed he start the season as first choice. In any case, he may well get his chance, though seeing Shackell and Keogh together I in some ways hope he doesn't. The great thing to keep in mind though is that if he does win a spot from here, he'll have to be in red hot form himself, as he even after consider Keogh and Shackell, still has considerable competition in the form of Buxton and Shotton to contend with. 

The next 12-16 games is what shapes a season, and at least we know that even with injuries we have the squad to cope. It boggles the mind to think we could lose Martin, Russell, Ince, Johnson, Butterfield, Thorne, Christie, Warnock, Shackell, Keogh and Carson and could still line up as:

Weimann      Bent

Bryson      Hendrick     Hanson

Baird

Forsyth   Buxton   Pearce   Shotton

Grant

With Hughes still out of course. Not a lot of width in that line up, but it's just to illustrate the shear strength in depth at the club right now. 

I've learned that I (And plenty of others off here) were correct. We said Keogh is one of the best centre backs in this league and he just needed a settled partnership to prove it and he has done 

To be blunt about it, he has been the best centreback at the club in his time here. He's been amazing so far this season, but he was a very good centreback for the last two. Despite this, a mix of formation and the attention the armband brought made him a target for many, particularly after Wembley. It was an utterly bizarre situation though, pretty much everyone in the country but Derby fans rated him as one of the best defenders outside the Premier League, yet many on here would have paid to drive him to his next club. 

Needless to say, I'm elated for him that people are finally getting off his back. With a more solid structure in front and one of the best players in the division beside him though, he really is shining through now. 

Archived