Ched Evans wins High Court appeal

Day

10 minutes ago, Ovis aries said:

When  you gave evidence at the trial did you tell them you where hiding in the cupboard?

On 05 October 2015 at 15:05, RamLad1884 said:

His careers over anyway, even if he is now found innocent, he'll still carry a label that'll put most if not all clubs off him

It seems as though you've forgotten we were engaged in a hypothetical discussion regarding what would happen if he is found innocent. If his appeal isn't successful I'd be surprised if he ever plays professionally in this country again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting,

Awful for him if he's spent 2 years inside as an innocent man, difficult for everyone to go through the trial again I imagine too. 

PistoldPete2
4 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Interesting,

Awful for him if he's spent 2 years inside as an innocent man, difficult for everyone to go through the trial again I imagine too. 

Not sure how he can be said to have "won" his appeal if he has already served the sentence and still has to go on trial again! but as i said repeatedly during the furore over Sheff United taking him back.. this case was dodgy from the start. Surely a retrial is the worst outcome though for both the alleged victim and for the footballer too.

1 minute ago, Simsy said:

He will surely get substantial compensation now.   He can get his football career back on track perhaps?

Many would argue he was in jail during his prime years, so 'on track' might be difficult - he can certainly get playing again though. He was a good player. 

Anybody that looked passed the media BS of "Footballer, rapist" could clearly see he was innocent. At worst he was a seedy opportunist. The girl saying she cant remember was total BS too. I hope he gets a hefty pay out in compensation and all the people that stopped him getting his life back on track after a wrongful conviction apologise to him. 

23 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Any comments why a retrial has been ordered? Don't they have to have new evidence? 

Yep apparantly new evidence has been heard. 

But if his conviction has been quashed, why a retrial?  How can there be a guilty verdict if he's been cleared? Or has he even be cleared? Its a bit confusing.

Just now, ladyram said:

But if his conviction has been quashed, why a retrial?  How can there be a guilty verdict of he's been cleared?

New evidence can counter the information that primarily resulted in the original guilty verdict, while not completely proving his innocence. It will mean that if he is guilty, the prosecution will have to come from a different angle. Very unusual for someone to get a second guilty verdict from this point, though. 

1 minute ago, ladyram said:

But if his conviction has been quashed, why a retrial?  How can there be a guilty verdict of he's been cleared?

My understanding is the court was hearing the evidence to decide if it can go to retrial for him to clear his name. If he's found not guilty at retrial his name is cleared, if he is found guilty it will remain on his record but he's already served his sentence.

11 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

He's innocent until proven guilty still.

Surely since he's already been convicted it's the other way around?

As with all these incidents, you have to respect his girlfriend sticking by his bank balance through all of this.  What a strong role model she is for other women...

3 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

As with all these incidents, you have to respect his girlfriend sticking by his bank balance through all of this.  What a strong role model she is for other women...

I think the rape conviction was quashed. 

Just now, GboroRam said:

I think the rape conviction was quashed. 

Oh yeah, my bad.

Still he must be certain he's innocent cus if get's sent down again, by a trial he's initiated...  I mean, footballers generally aren't known for their IQ but he's be the dumbest of all time if it were to happen

5 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I am not 100% sure of the facts but I think that his girlfriend comes from money, serious amounts of money, so she wouldn't need to  be sticking by him for the payout. 

1 minute ago, MuespachRam said:

I am not 100% sure of the facts but I think that his girlfriend comes from money, serious amounts of money, so she wouldn't need to  be sticking by him for the payout. 

Aaaah so it's the other way around.  All that letter writing he did in prison has been worth it then :lol:

Archived