Ched Evans wins High Court appeal

Day

The footballer Ched Evans is to have his rape conviction reviewed by the Court of Appeal.

The Wales football international was jailed for five years in 2012 after being found guilty of raping a 19-year-old woman at a hotel near Rhyl.

Evans, 26, was released last year after serving half of his sentence.

The Criminal Cases Review Commission referred the conviction after his lawyers lodged fresh evidence.

The former Sheffield United footballer has always maintained his innocence but his attempts to restart his career with Oldham Athletic and his former club collapsed in the face of a public outcry.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-34441348

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why don't he just start a nice little business and forget about football, he will be open to abuse from fans and players alike.

if you was found guilty of something you thought/knew was a miscarriage of justice, would you just say "okay, I'm on the sex offender's register for life, my career is ruined, my reputation is ruined, the world thinks I'm a wrong 'un, I'll just start a business, yeah... it'll do well..."??

if you was found guilty of something you thought/knew was a miscarriage of justice, would you just say "okay, I'm on the sex offender's register for life, my career is ruined, my reputation is ruined, the world thinks I'm a wrong 'un, I'll just start a business, yeah... it'll do well..."??

yes

did you sort out your car crash sweet pea ?

did you sort out your car crash sweet pea ?

handed the car in on Friday, £535 damage. Still not sorted yet in terms of the insurance. 

As someone accused of something bad, having it over you consumes your every thought. No way, if you was innocent of something, would you sit back and accept it 

PistoldPete2

Hopefully this will put it to bed one way or another.

maybe an unfortunate turn of phrase, but yes this should be resolved now. I have never understood why, given all the genuine crimes against women that go unprosecuted, there was such a campaign against this guy when the conviction looked dodgy from the start. As the review body says no reflection on the lady involved but .... it's hard to see how a crime was actually committed. Scummy sleazeball he may be , rapist I really don't think so. 

The 'official' Ched Evans website certainly offers some thought-provoking info. 

http://www.chedevans.com

Now I'm not saying he's innocent, but there appear to be an awful lot of people willing to back him In his appeal. 

They wouldn't be doing so if they didn't believe there was a possible miscarriage of justice . 

Something about the whole case just doesn't add up. Of course he admitted to having sex with the accuser, as did his friend who was acquitted . This will run and run . 

If he is found innocent and I mean a massive IF then the Crown Prosecution Service should have the other party in court for perverting the course of justice, wasting police time. Evans should also seek a civil case against them for defamation of charecter and associated damages. Will be an interesting one.

If he is found innocent and I mean a massive IF then the Crown Prosecution Service should have the other party in court for perverting the course of justice, wasting police time. Evans should also seek a civil case against them for defamation of charecter and associated damages. Will be an interesting one.

I'd say that would rather depend on what this new evidence is.

I'd say that would rather depend on what this new evidence is.

Point I was trying to make was if he is found innocent then there needs to be consequences for the party bringing the complaint forward in the first place. How many cases are there where the victim remains anonymous whilst the defendant is found innocent but still has their name raked across the papers.

Point I was trying to make was if he is found innocent then there needs to be consequences for the party bringing the complaint forward in the first place. How many cases are there where the victim remains anonymous whilst the defendant is found innocent but still has their name raked across the papers.

the victim was coerced by the police. She knew nothing about a rape and by the sounds of it had her head turned by the prospect of compensation. 

Good point to be honest, does that mean the alleged victim now perverted the course of justice? Even if the case is overturned Ched's career is effectively over, no club will touch him still and won't be able to shake the rapist label. If you think the loss of earnings there must be some compensation he could claim.

Found not guilty he's still guilty of stupidity and he's lucky his missus has stood by him, whilst some will say he deserves it he's not the only person to cheat on their partner, bet theres a few on this forum that have over a prolonged period of time, not a drunken one off with a mate.

Sith Happens

Firstly - I cannot see a situation where the girl involved would become liable for any sort of prosecution for damages, it would be a nightmare for any rape victims, who would want to press charges if there was a chance that they could then be sued if the defendant is found not guilty? I dont imagine this has been easy for her either. Im sure her charachter has been questioned in court, in her mind she may feel she has been raped, i dont know the facts of this case but where does the line between persuasion and being forced get crossed? In her mind she may have woke up in the morning and genuinly feel the line was crossed but maybe it wasnt...i dont know.

Secondly - If the appeal succeeds, then he is therefore innocent and he should be allowed to get on with getting another job in football without protests from sponsors or whomever else wants to get involved. However, whilst his conviction stands all of those people have a right to stand up and say we dont want this person associated with our club, if he is proven innocent maybe some of those may come forward and say 'ok you didnt do it, so the objections i had before are withdrawn', although i doubt that will happen.

Thirdly - if the appeal doesnt succeed, he should get on with his life and let it lie, inside or outside of football. In the eyes of the law, regardless of if we agree or not, he has served his time. My view is the time served is nowhere near long enough for a rape conviction, and not just because its him. People do get jobs after committing a crime, look at that goalkeeper who killed those kids whilst drunk in charge, pretty sure he got player of the year last year for this club.

Finally - yeah if hes now found not guilty. in reality his career as a top footballer is over, does he have anyone he can sue over this? I doubt it, everyone will be able to show they acted based on the evidence to hand im sure, the only way he would be able to sue the police would be if it was proven evidence was tampered with etc. My only question would be....how come his own legal team have new evidence now...why didnt this come to hand previously....maybe he needs to look in their direction..but then again i dont know enough about it. There is an argument for the defendants name being kept out the press etc until found guilty, i agree with that, but he was found guilty so we would have known now anyway.

Archived