The Full Back conundrum...

Mafiabob

After much debate during the summer saying how weak we are in these areas.... 

I I think it's been a slight myth... Ok we are not world beaters in them positions. But they have seemed to have stepped up quite a bit already. Due to one thing, competition...

Take Christie last night... Seemed to be back to his old self last night... Yes he had one or two dodgy moments... But was playing against a very good winger... Seemed confident on the ball

Forsyth seemed to have kicked on a bit too.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm pretty comfortable with the 5 people  that can cover the full back position.

Gone from being a potential weakness to a potential strength!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was much improved from Christie but still a few things to work on.

Was late getting back at least once when Brum were on the counter, just casually walked back. Needs to work on his positioning/where he is channelling an attacker as he is either too close to Keogh leaving the outside as a nice inviting place to go to get a ball across or he is too wide putting pressure on Keogh. 

Gray would terrorise most full backs in this league and even in the Prem. Thought Cyrus did well in all fairness.

Just a shame Baird is captain, unless you can drop your captain?

I would much rather see Baird as right back than Christie. Christie over commits on a regular basis. It gives us a good balance when Forsyth is on the other side.

After much debate during the summer saying how weak we are in these areas.... 

I I think it's been a slight myth... Ok we are not world beaters in them positions. But they have seemed to have stepped up quite a bit already. Due to one thing, competition...

Take Christie last night... Seemed to be back to his old self last night... Yes he had one or two dodgy moments... But was playing against a very good winger... Seemed confident on the ball

Forsyth seemed to have kicked on a bit too.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm pretty comfortable with the 5 people  that can cover the full back position.

Gone from being a potential weakness to a potential strength!

For me, our full backs remain a weakness and our main one at that.

Am not sure what game you were watching if you thought Christie had a good game. He did a job but offered little or nothing going forward. The best cross of the night came when he was subbed and Shotton came on.Christie is barely a Championship winger and has only ever played well for half a season and even then, was poor in his defensive duties.

Forsyth is at best average going forward but struggles defensively.

Couple this with wingers in Russell and in particular Ince who don't seem to see tracking back as part of their job.

Am not sure what game you were watching if you thought Christie had a good game. He did a job but offered little or nothing going forward. The best cross of the night came when he was subbed and Shotton came on.Christie is barely a Championship winger and has only ever played well for half a season and even then, was poor in his defensive duties.

Couple this with wingers in Russell and in particular Ince who don't seem to see tracking back as part of their job.

Have to disagree Silks... Thought Christie improved when the game went on....

Forsyth struggles defensively? I think there's only one game he's been ripped apart in best part of three seasons... QPR away when Phillips ran rings around him.

I think we're a lot better in that area than what you think. 

Onviously plenty of inprovement... If anything the weakness for me... Particularly last night, and as you allude too a bit with the crossing... Was the final decisions... 

Mafia is right. Fozzy was immense going forward (as usual), and was very clever and effective in most of his defending as well. Christie also started to look like the Christie we first saw a year ago, so that was quite pleasing. Did they do everything perfectly? No, but they were very good. We've conceded one goal from the full back spots this season so far, right? And that was when Baird got turned inside out.  We just need to bury our chances because we created v Brum.

He isn't a winger at all, he is a full back.:whistle:

He played well last night. Gray didn't really get past him, and switched flanks only for Forsyth to slam the door in his face as well. He tried going back to the left when Shotton came on but again nothing. The only time he did anything was when he was in the middle with his volley early on, and when he cut inside Ince.

Love Forsyth but get nervous when he's got the ball in our half. 

Warnock seems sound enough. I don't think he defends as well as Forsyth and he doesn't attack as well either.  But I don't get scared when he is on the ball. 

Christie day dreams too much for me. He's indecisive.

Shotton has casual moments. Like Bamford when he was here the simple stuff catches him out. 'oh its just a simple pass/header to...oops'

Baird I think is similar to Warnock but a bit more forward thinking on the ball when played at RB. Forsyth is hard to beat no matter what you try. He has no weakness defensively imo. Your only hope is to get at 2v1 on him or catch him on the counter and even then he's coming back quick. He pulls rabbits out hats with his defending sometimes. 1v1 with any Champ winger and the smart money goes on Fozzy. Baird and Warnock aren't that good. They don't exceed expectations defensively. They can be beaten in the air and in a race. But neither are pushovers.

Baird is the best all rounder FB. Better than Forsyth and Warnock in possession (Warnock too safe and Fozzy too unpredictable.) Better than Christie at defending.

Baird and Forsyth cover most bases

The conundrum here is Baird, as he's not getting any younger and to me he looked exhausted from the off last night. The point of a squad is that you can rotate for injuries,fatigue and form. So where does that leave Christie? he's a massive confidence player, so the only way he'll get better is by staying in the team. But surely Baird won't get dropped, to me if we got another 1/2 midfielders then I'd prefer an in form Christie to an in form Baird

the modern day full back can never win with the modern day football fan.

The days where fullbacks were defenders first and foremost have long gone. The modern game, fuelled by demanding fans, wants the full back to be an attacker more than a defender.

Personally, I'd rather a Stuart Pearce at full back than a Craig Forsyth.

Fans cannot moan that fullbacks are dodgy defensively if they want them to be attacking.

Archived