Solid start to the season

Albert

We're 4 games undefeated, the side is bedding in well in trying circumstances, and things are starting to click against a side that ended the season well, and have began well this season. 

We're defending well, but have been a bit unfortunate with deflections, but the key now is starting to turn performances into points. Another game that we were the better side, kept possession well, bizarrely enough away from home with only one of our first choice midfield. 

We'll see if we get others in before the end of the transfer window, but the squad is looking good, we have options and can change things up. We're getting there and the wins will come. Clement leading the side well, could be an exciting season ahead. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're 4 games undefeated, the side is bedding in well in trying circumstances, and things are starting to click against a side that ended the season well, and have began well this season. 

We're defending well, but have been a bit unfortunate with deflections, but the key now is starting to turn performances into points. Another game that we were the better side, kept possession well, bizarrely enough away from home with only one of our first choice midfield. 

We'll see if we get others in before the end of the transfer window, but the squad is looking good, we have options and can change things up. We're getting there and the wins will come. Clement leading the side well, could be an exciting season ahead. 

Good post, have a like

While I agree with some of what you say, I cannot agree with the title 'solid start to the season'. I would say it's a poor start but we're beginning to show signs of playing the brand of football that will take us towards the right end of the table.

Failing to beat Bolton, Charlton and Birmingham cannot be considered solid.

I don't think our defence looks particularly solid either. We don't have a full back on either flank that can defend as well as I would like, injuries mean we're having to play players in unfamiliar positions and our best player of the last couple of seasons is out of sorts under this new regime.

Four points from four games is poor, especially adding a League Cup defeat to Portsmouth.

At Bolton and Pompey we played awful, but three points from the last three games is wholly unjust with the way we've played. Actually, it's a crime we've only picked up three points.

Defensively we've given very little away and all the goals conceded have come as a result of deflections.

I'm optimistic for a top six spot. Reckon we have the potential to go on a long unbeaten run too, with the highest I can remember since Jim Smith's promotion in 95/96 being the nine league matches last season.

While I agree with some of what you say, I cannot agree with the title 'solid start to the season'. I would say it's a poor start but we're beginning to show signs of playing the brand of football that will take us towards the right end of the table.

Failing to beat Barnsley, Charlton and Birmingham cannot be considered solid.

I don't think our defence looks particularly solid either. We don't have a full back on either flank that can defend as well as I would like, injuries mean we're having to play players in unfamiliar positions and our best player of the last couple of seasons is out of sorts under this new regime.

...we've... we've not played Barnsley, and unless we get them in the FA Cup, we're not going to. I'm guessing you mean Bolton. 

We've got a changed squad, new manager, 4 injuries in midfield, and played one of our likely biggest rivals this season already. Beyond that, all we know is we've played two away, and one at home against other Championship sides who could finish anywhere. To be honest about it, I wouldn't be at all shocked if Birmingham finished in or around the top 6 seeing them play today, they looked solid in defence and have some cutting edge up front. Rowett has done a good job there. 

The big thing about this time in the season is we just don't know who's strong or not. How many would have picked Brentford to do as they did, or Bournemouth to go up? Until the 10-15 games mark it's hard to tell which sides are strong, and until Christmas we really don't know the shape the league's taking. 4 undefeated however isn't bad, and a solid platform to start from all things considered. If you'd told me "Hughes, Bryson, Hendrick and even Hanson are injured, and we're down to Baird and Thorne in midfield, but I'll offer you 4 draws", I'd take it to be honest, because that's a rough situation to get through. Even just losing Hughes and Bryson is rough. 

At the very least we've shown some adaptability, which was one of the main complaints form people last season, and on tonight's performance, with our midfield back (or potentially with another one or two in), we could do very well. 

At least today against a fairly solid side we posed a goal threat hitting the woodwork 3 times and conceding thanks to a deflection I think if we can play like we did today against Leeds we can get 3 points on the board which would give us 7 points from 5 games which is a fairly 'solid start to the season'

With Ince playing well and Russell scoring 2 in his last 2 I think the goals will come

Addressed last seasons issues which was a absolute must of we are to get promotion.

Players look comfortable at the back and the offensive play is getting better.

We'll win against Leeds and get a run going!

4 points from 4 games.

Looking at last years table, that tally would leave us in 21st place.

It's some unbelievable kind of rhetoric to suggest that that's a 'solid' start.

The same sequence for the next four games and Clement will be under pressure, irrespective of performances.

Archived