Under 21s & Academy 15/16

cheron85

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RicME85 said:

One thing I noticed last night was how quiet Rory Delap was on the touchline. I was sat right next to the Arsenal dugout and they were very vocal. Arsenal had coaches in the technical area shouting instructions to the players and coaches on the bench were also shouting instructions to players. Delap and co were pretty much silent.

I thought the same about Delap. i did not like that.

something else i noticed was behind us for the second half in the comfy seats was Des Walker sat with Karl Robinson. If it wasn't him he looks very, very similar. not trying to start a rumour, he could have been there for a number of reasons or like i say it might not have been him but at the final whistle he walked right past me and i'm 99% sure it was him.

4 hours ago, samtheram83 said:

something else i noticed was behind us for the second half in the comfy seats was Des Walker sat with Karl Robinson. If it wasn't him he looks very, very similar. not trying to start a rumour, he could have been there for a number of reasons or like i say it might not have been him but at the final whistle he walked right past me and i'm 99% sure it was him.

It was Danny Holmes. One of the academy coaches. Looks nothing like Karl Robinson 

This season I have been to all the u21 matches that have been played at St George's Park and all but 1 to the ones at the Ipro and despite the result on Tuesday, they really excite me! We have a serious amount of talent right through the team. Various goalkeepers that have come in and done a great job between the sticks, Johnathan Michell in particular, an excellent shot stopper. Farrend rawson for me is a future captain, very consistent, very demanding and very very rarely loses an aerial battle. Koblenz had an abysmal game on Monday, however has been solid throughout the season no matter where he has played (CB and CDM). for me Callum Guy is one of the most underrated players in the team, been in the academy from a very young age and a great prospect. Played alongside hughes and Hanson at times this season and not been fazed at all. Scored every penalty this season, an exceptional eye for a pass and loves a crunching challenge, never seen him back out a challenge yet. Captain against arsenal in a team with Bucko and Hughesy which speaks volumes. My criticism of guy would be argues with the ref alot which can be a distraction to him. Probably the best player in the u21s along with Guy has to be Ivan Calero, already seen him in the first team last season and on loan at burton (where he kind of flopped). However he has been a star player in this side this season. Extremely good feet who loves to get past players and have an eye for goal. Works very good with the man up top and racks up alot of assists. Just needs to bulk up abit so doesn't get pushed off the ball as much. Then there's the other star man, of course Zanzala. This guy is a nuisance to play against, very good in the air, doesn't give defenders a moment peace, great pace and trickery too. So unfortunate against arsenal, think they were glad to see the back of him! Only criticism is can be inconsistent, when he has a bad game, boy does he have a bad game! However a great player in the making if he continues the way he is.

Have other prospects too such as Vernam, Stabana, Roos, Elsnik etc but I'll not bore you any longer :)

3 minutes ago, Burtonrammy said:

This season I have been to all the u21 matches that have been played at St George's Park and all but 1 to the ones at the Ipro and despite the result on Tuesday, they really excite me! We have a serious amount of talent right through the team. Various goalkeepers that have come in and done a great job between the sticks, Johnathan Michell in particular, an excellent shot stopper. Farrend rawson for me is a future captain, very consistent, very demanding and very very rarely loses an aerial battle. Koblenz had an abysmal game on Monday, however has been solid throughout the season no matter where he has played (CB and CDM). for me Callum Guy is one of the most underrated players in the team, been in the academy from a very young age and a great prospect. Played alongside hughes and Hanson at times this season and not been fazed at all. Scored every penalty this season, an exceptional eye for a pass and loves a crunching challenge, never seen him back out a challenge yet. Captain against arsenal in a team with Bucko and Hughesy which speaks volumes. My criticism of guy would be argues with the ref alot which can be a distraction to him. Probably the best player in the u21s along with Guy has to be Ivan Calero, already seen him in the first team last season and on loan at burton (where he kind of flopped). However he has been a star player in this side this season. Extremely good feet who loves to get past players and have an eye for goal. Works very good with the man up top and racks up alot of assists. Just needs to bulk up abit so doesn't get pushed off the ball as much. Then there's the other star man, of course Zanzala. This guy is a nuisance to play against, very good in the air, doesn't give defenders a moment peace, great pace and trickery too. So unfortunate against arsenal, think they were glad to see the back of him! Only criticism is can be inconsistent, when he has a bad game, boy does he have a bad game! However a great player in the making if he continues the way he is.

Have other prospects too such as Vernam, Stabana, Roos, Elsnik etc but I'll not bore you any longer :)

Good post.

Elsnik is who I think is going to go the furthest in football, but I don't disagree with any of your opinions regarding the current level.

Thankyou :)

Yep, Elsnik is another great future player, very very good technically. He's fairly new so didn't quite make the cut off for my post ;). But looks a very tidy player indeed. Arsenal are 2-0 down in one of their 2 games in hand! Need 2 points out of their last 2 games to secure the title. 

If WBA beat Arsenal, not only do Derby win the league but if Blackburn lose their last game, WBA get the last play-off place on goal difference.

So it's not like they lack incentive.

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

If WBA beat Arsenal, not only do Derby win the league but if Blackburn lose their last game, WBA get the last play-off place on goal difference.

So it's not like they lack incentive.

didn't the first team win a rather nervy race to the title a few years back, waiting by a phone in Spain?

4 hours ago, Burtonrammy said:

Brilliant report Burtonrammy.

1 minute ago, Rampage said:

These U21s need to be playing against Division One Clubs next year. we need promotion

I agree. I wasn't at the match (Arsenal) but it sounded as though we were second best. Nerves, possibly.

We need to be playing better opposition frequently to get the young 'uns to realise they have to up their game consistently.

Interesting to see mighty Leicester's squad are bottom of Div1.

3 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

I agree. I wasn't at the match (Arsenal) but it sounded as though we were second best. Nerves, possibly.

We need to be playing better opposition frequently to get the young 'uns to realise they have to up their game consistently.

I would settle for our U21s bottom of the League if the First Team were top of the Premier Phoenix! :D

19 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Very close at the bottom though, could easily get out of that.

Archived