Baird

Sam_DCFC_1994

What did everyone make of his performance on Saturday? 

Early days, but he left me frustrated. There was a lot of space in infront of Ince, it was crying out for someone to overlap him constantly, or to give and go, he didn't do this often enough or at all really on Saturday for me. Ince was insolated at times. I would like to see Christie given more of a go, but I doubt he will as Baird is captain.

Granted that he is solid defensively, but going forward he isn't enough of a threat. 

Just quickly would like to add keogh was arguably MOTM, absolute dismay at some bloke on radio Derby suggesting it was his fault for the goal. The goal was Rotten luck, nothing more, nothing less. Fozzy also brilliant, a couple frustrating misplaced passes are always made up by his overall performance, brilliant aerially, solid defensively and going forward he is a real outlet. Shame we don't have a carbon copy of him at RB! 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's really hard to say. Christie was not on for long and almost got an assist at the death, but if he's on for longer do Charlton have some joy up that wing? Who knows. 

I don't think Clement will be afraid to rotate Baird out if he feels Christie can offer more in a game, but Christie's going to need to have more substitute games like Saturday to convince anyone he's back to his best.

It's easy to have short memories, everyone was delighted Baird was RB and even saying Ssewankambo was no. 2 for the spot. Time will tell, right now I'm glad we've been as solid as we are (in the league) defensively.

Baird is a frustrating player for those used to last 2 seasons Derby, of course he is, he spent a large amount of years at WBA. But I feel like you take him out and put Christie in and suddenly our opponents left wingers are more in the game and Keogh looks panicky again.

Did great at RB I thought, didn't overlap much but I don't think it was needed, Ince was pretty comfortable all game.

Baird plays RB when Christie plays as well, it was evident in the Burton game and when Christie came on Saturday. Christie has a tendency to linger up field, leaves us vunerable at the back, Baird made us luck experienced and I think he helped Hanson and Thorne to retain possession.

On your other point @Sam_DCFC_1994 Keogh was incredible, I had faith in him that with Shackell and Baird around him (and maybe without the captaincy) he would thrive and he showed it. As you said, Rotten bit of luck for the goal and couldn't have happened to anyone worse, the Keogh haters came out quickly after the goal.

MOTM though has to go to Thorne, ran the show, incredible game. The reception he received after getting up after a knock really shows why he wanted to stay here.

Baird playing like Wisdom allows Forsyth to keep getting forward. So Baird can and should play the same way every week. We have not seen Forsyth play like that in a long time. He is very comfortable with our passing game and looks solid enough as a defender. He got the 3rd most successful passes in the whole Championship this weekend. Any issues going forward stem from Ince. Time and again Ince would be static or stand on the half way line waiting to take the ball off Baird. Ince was sulking for large parts of the game and the manager needs to give him a good slap round the head. Let Baird bring the ball into the oppositions half and let him feed you Ince. 

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/958450/MatchReport

If you scroll down there and click "Player Positions" you see Baird's average position wasn't far behind Forysth's. I just don't think Ince is the type of player you overlap. Chrsitie didn't overlap either after coming on, Ince runs down the side to pull the defenders and then lays it back to the FB.

you don't overlap ince, if he looses the ball you're screwed.

ince, like ward used to be, likes to go up against the fullback, cut inside, try and beat him and back yourself to create some thing.

i like ince and really think Baird is the ideal fullback to have with him on that side.

For me Baird was very good,defence looked solid to me,Baird has great positional sense,and very rarely gives the ball away,and is a very good captin,so for me Baird is a must,like the rest of the defence unit at the moment,look a lot more solid at the back for me,we seem to have a nice balance,long may this continue.

Baird playing like Wisdom allows Forsyth to keep getting forward. So Baird can and should play the same way every week. We have not seen Forsyth play like that in a long time. He is very comfortable with our passing game and looks solid enough as a defender. He got the 3rd most successful passes in the whole Championship this weekend. Any issues going forward stem from Ince. Time and again Ince would be static or stand on the half way line waiting to take the ball off Baird. Ince was sulking for large parts of the game and the manager needs to give him a good slap round the head. Let Baird bring the ball into the oppositions half and let him feed you Ince. 

swap Ince for Russell in your post and I would agree with it.... Russell looked like a lost puppy out there on Saturday... Getting in the way and very much on his heels....

Thought Ince was better second half.... Think a goal will do him good

I thought Baird was pretty good, got away with the back pass in the first half but apart from that he was solid. I don't really want Baird to be a threat, I think it's plain to see how unbalanced we've been for a couple of years. Whilst it's exciting to watch, having two gung-ho full backs, I think a balance between the two will be much better for us. Despite him not marauding forward as much as Christie would, he got himself in some good positions and put in some decent deliveries. One in the first half sticks out where his perfectly timed run was found by a beautiful through ball from our George.

More than happy at the moment with what he's giving us.

Call me old fashioned, but I like my defenders first and foremost to be able to defend. If you can do loads after that then great. Yes Baird is reluctant to charge forward like Forsyth does, if was frustrating a couple of times on Saturday, but overall we look solid defensively and long may that remain.

I thought Baird was pretty good, got away with the back pass in the first half but apart from that he was solid. I don't really want Baird to be a threat, I think it's plain to see how unbalanced we've been for a couple of years. Whilst it's exciting to watch, having two gung-ho full backs, I think a balance between the two will be much better for us. Despite him not marauding forward as much as Christie would, he got himself in some good positions and put in some decent deliveries. One in the first half sticks out where his perfectly timed run was found by a beautiful through ball from our George.

Absolutely. If Fozzy is going to be effective going forward he needs cover if they break back. Shackell & Keogh will be dragged over to cover therefore its essential the right full back is covering the far post.

good post never thought about it that way! For the record defensively all afternoon I thought we were sound. Everyone performed well, Baird included. Just going forward he frustrated me, but the reasoning behind that is justified. Happy daisss :)

swap Ince for Russell in your post and I would agree with it.... Russell looked like a lost puppy out there on Saturday... Getting in the way and very much on his heels....

Thought Ince was better second half.... Think a goal will do him good

I agree Russell wasn't his usual self. But this thread is in relation to Baird's performance. Ince directly affected/affects the way Baird performs and plays. 

Archived