Ashamed to be a Rams fan

and the latest one is "marauding" "" the world, no sorry the UK has gone mad !! we are so restricted from voicing an opinion !!

I do however feel that there is no reason at a football match for shouting out the "CLINT" word, in the pub with your mates is fine but at a match surrounded by strangers many of who are women and kids its not, it shows a real lack of class and lack of respect for those around you, many of us seem to have forgotten about respect !,

I sit in the west stand with my old man and my 5 year old son, on the rare occasions that profanities are used out of context in our library of a stand I normally point out to the offender that my boy welcomes the views of those around him but I, as his dad do not swear in front of him and I would request that neither do they and we take it from there,

another personal irritation is the "if you don't flicking bounce youre a red" song, it just sounds so lacking in any sort of intelligence !

I'd agree with that. I'm not going to pretend I'm whiter than white, I don't swear loads but I do at times. 

For me, swear words serve a function. They allow you to communicate to someone you're angry, possibly at them. If swear words use the shock factor due to overuse then you can see why some resort to physical violence.

Having a certain section where the language might get a bit colourful though? I've not really got a problem with that. You can't do that at away games mind so people should show some respect there.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

another personal irritation is the "if you don't flicking bounce youre a red" song, it just sounds so lacking in any sort of intelligence !

Yeaaaah, but  I don't think that

"If you don't firkin bounce you're over 12, can make your own decisions rather than simply copying others', realise that the whole 'bouncing' thing is a cringeworthy, embarrassing load of ***** and avoid looking & sounding like a moron,. Good on you, I say"

is going to catch on, sadly.

The bouncy song makes me more ashamed to be a Derby fan than anything else on this thread.Leave it to the kids, like the phone LED lights thing. Grown adults doing the bouncy song, get a bloody grip.

and the latest one is "marauding" "" the world, no sorry the UK has gone mad !! we are so restricted from voicing an opinion !!

I do however feel that there is no reason at a football match for shouting out the "CLINT" word, in the pub with your mates is fine but at a match surrounded by strangers many of who are women and kids its not, it shows a real lack of class and lack of respect for those around you, many of us seem to have forgotten about respect !,

I sit in the west stand with my old man and my 5 year old son, on the rare occasions that profanities are used out of context in our library of a stand I normally point out to the offender that my boy welcomes the views of those around him but I, as his dad do not swear in front of him and I would request that neither do they and we take it from there,

when I started going to the football back in 1979,with my granddad he always said what is said at football stays at football,I never went into school swearing or in my home in front of my mum and Dad,football is were we go to let off a bit of steam,my son is 13 and has been told the same,when I go to away matches and at home I enjoy the chanting ,and still enjoy it,and the bounce song is brilliant when the whole end does it.So you sitting in the west stand is a good place to go not to hear much swearing,but at away matches you do not get that choice,so it's best if you stay away from it with your son.

"If you don't firkin bounce you're over 12, can make your own decisions rather than simply copying others', realise that the whole 'bouncing' thing is a cringeworthy, embarrassing load of ***** and avoid looking & sounding like a moron,. Good on you, I say"

Leave it to the kids, like the phone LED lights thing. Grown adults doing the bouncy song, get a bloody grip.

Not sure it's really about the words, just the atmosphere. Everyone jumping creates a pretty booming drum, people could sing "blah blah blah blablah blah, blah blah-blah blablah blah blah blah blah blah" and it would still work.

Not sure it's really about the words, just the atmosphere. Everyone jumping creates a pretty booming drum, people could sing "blah blah blah blablah blah, blah blah-blah blablah blah blah blah blah blah" and it would still work.

Here's a secret: My objection wasn't really to do with the words. You look around and see otherwise reputable people acting like 8 year olds. The whole thing is awful and needs to stop. :lol:

Here's a secret: My objection wasn't really to do with the words. The whole thing is awful and needs to stop. :lol:

I'm not a singer, I'm far too lazy. But watching a bunch of grown men jump around like 6 year olds on a bouncy castle makes me feel better about myself :lol:

The bouncy song makes me more ashamed to be a Derby fan than anything else on this thread.Leave it to the kids, like the phone LED lights thing. Grown adults doing the bouncy song, get a bloody grip.

It's just a bit of fun to get a bit of an atmosphere going on. I no longer bounce due to osteoarthritis in both hips, but I have no objection to the bounce brigade, so stop being so bleeding boring. Match days are all about havin fun.

Here's a secret: My objection wasn't really to do with the words. You look around and see otherwise reputable people acting like 8 year olds. The whole thing is awful and needs to stop. :lol: Let your hair down,and have some fun,supporting your team should be a FUN experience,so let's get bouncing and make some,noise,and push the Rams on to promotion.

It's just a bit of fun to get a bit of an atmosphere going on. I no longer bounce due to osteoarthritis in both hips, but I have no objection to the bounce brigade, so stop being so bleeding boring. Match days are all about havin fun.

Well said,let's have some fun,pushing the Rams to promotion,back the lads,and stop bloody moaning,this year is going to be a great one.

when I started going to the football back in 1979,with my granddad he always said what is said at football stays at football,I never went into school swearing or in my home in front of my mum and Dad,football is were we go to let off a bit of steam,my son is 13 and has been told the same,when I go to away matches and at home I enjoy the chanting ,and still enjoy it,and the bounce song is brilliant when the whole end does it.So you sitting in the west stand is a good place to go not to hear much swearing,but at away matches you do not get that choice,so it's best if you stay away from it with your son.

Away matches is for me and my mates, never take the boy lol, few beers, bit of banter, do I lose all self control and become a complete kn0b ? maybe a few years ago but now I try and be a bit more respectful if I see a dad with his kids, perhaps its just something that happens when you have kids that you see it from a different perspective ?

strange thread this one but good to see a good split of for and against

at the end of the day we are all Derby !!

It is so difficult now day's ,I am ex Popside, non PC who would neither take or mean offence at most things .Forty tears ago you would not have seen a very young child in the Popside [kids corner?] or many females.

Now wherever you sit you have families around you,despite my age and should know better, I do like to be vocal at games so who gives way should families expect to hear bad language or should it be made completely sterile?

Except it isn't 'fun' to me. I'd roughly equate the fun factor to being stuck at a 1980's cheese-disco with no exit door and people looking at you funny if you don't want to to get up and dance to something you find uttery intolerable.

It's the equivalent of doing Agadoo or Superman, or Whoops Upside Your Head or other utter **** like that at a Christmas party / wedding reception, or theatres full of middle aged woman standing up and doing all the hand actions to Mamma Mia.

None of these things should be attempted by anyone with an ounce of dignity.

You call it boring I call it being being exceptionally uncomfortable with the situation. I'd love it if 'letting my hair down' was actually an option but my very essence is opposed to it!

I do however feel that there is no reason at a football match for shouting out the "CLINT" word, in the pub with your mates is fine but at a match surrounded by strangers many of who are women and kids its not, it shows a real lack of class and lack of respect for those around you

Well the person behind me doing all the swearing on Saturday  (including the c word) was a fairly young female. And it was aimed at individual players. Luckily too far from the pitch for them to be able to hear it, but clearly audible to kids nearby. 

I find it offensive even though I was one of the few females standing on the Popside in the 70s so there's not much I haven't heard. But the abuse seems to be getting more personal these days (or maybe I'm just getting old). 

I  do like pretending to bounce, though! 

Except it isn't 'fun' to me. I'd roughly equate the fun factor to being stuck at a 1980's cheese-disco with no exit door and people looking at you funny if you don't want to to get up and dance to something you find uttery intolerable.

It's the equivalent of doing Agadoo or Superman, or Whoops Upside Your Head or other utter **** like that at a Christmas party / wedding reception, or theatres full of middle aged woman standing up and doing all the hand actions to Mamma Mia.

You call it boring I call it being being exceptionally uncomfortable with the situation. I'd love it if 'letting my hair down' was actually an option but my very essence is opposed to it!

the birdie song gets on my tits at weddings.

A darned sight lower than that, Utch, when we were in Division 3.

As for away support, I went to Newport away in 86, I think it was (not the New Years Day one, 1-1 Christie), and there might have been 50 of us if we were lucky.

This brought back some memories, although I was surprised if there were only 50 or so, the New Year day game got abandoned due to waterlogged pitch, after Bobby Davison broke his foot I think and the rearranged game was a Tuesday night.

That promotion season we had the 20th largest home attendances in the country and I think it was the 4th or 5th largest average away at >3k despite us being 3rd division - I remember a few articles about it in Shoot etc as to why.

But my bigger memory was from the season before when the back of their stand got kicked out as I think there were only 2 turnstiles open and over 1k of fans outside 5 mins before ko. All the temporary fencing and barriers got ripped down in the grd and at the end we ran their stands clear of home fans in a matter of minutes.

The bus journey back to train station (to try to control the fans) was interesting as certainly the one I was on lost most of the seats from the upper deck thru the little slidey windows (how we found out they fitted is still a mystery) every time we went around a corner trying to hit the police cars between each bus.

Also remember some brave Newport fans at side of road giving it some as the buses passed..... until a car of Derby lads heading the same way stopped and showed them the error of their ways :D:D

So, as much as I dislike some vulgar language and behaviour of some 'lads' it's not a patch on the 80s let alone what the 70s must have been like!

the birdie song gets on my tits at weddings.

A darned sight lower than that, Utch, when we were in Division 3.

As for away support, I went to Newport away in 86, I think it was (not the New Years Day one, 1-1 Christie), and there might have been 50 of us if we were lucky.

we had just 11,000 in Jim smiths first game home to port vale in 1995 capacity was 18,000. smallest away following was Newcastle in simod cup.......went to extra time. Only a few thousand in crowd inside st James on a cold night. Good day out still.....away end behind goal was tiny terrace

Archived