Dawkins - Rams Player Interview

JAT

Been in SRG's #DMLB since day uno. 

He's class, proper class. I accept he's only shown glimpses and at times his lack of urgency/aggression has been frustrating. But there's a really, really good player there. 

Just needs to fit. Whoever told him he's a striker should be shot. Twice. Playing on the wing works but he's too sort of nice. Like Hughes. He's too safe to be tasked with that role. He wants to play in close quarters intricate little exchanges. 

Getting in the team and getting a run of games is going to be hard for him in a central position. But if he does I think he'll win over some critics. Maybe even @rammieib!! :D

Black Iniesta

Oi, I say one semi ok post about him and you jump on top of me like a lead balloon!!! Last time I make that mistake with you around.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dawkins is one of the best technical players outside the Premier League. His ball control, vision, movement and dribbling in tight spaces is wonderful to watch, especially for a player at this level.

Sure he has his weaknesses, and it's a great pity his biggest weakness (end product) is the only one that counts in the minds of a few numpties on here, prompting calls of him being 'useless' and 'offers nothing'.

I genuinely found it laughable how much stick he got last season, while Jamie Ward's feint, feint, smash it style was in contrast lauded because he 'looked like' he could create something in the final third.

Dawks is at his best in the middle, I've said it for ages and when played there he has performed very well indeed. He definitely deserves a place in our squad, and I just hope he's given opportunities in the middle.

what complete cobblers. 

Too much football manager there. 

nice guy? Yup. Good footballer? Uhuh. Could he make the starting line up?  Hope so, but he aint going to be setting the Forest on fire. 

Never played football manager. What exactly don't you agree with. 

You say "complete cobblers" and then say he's a good footballer that you hope makes the starting line up. 

What's cobblers? Are you saying he should play on the wing where he will just constantly try to get inside to play intricate give and goes and then get slated for not running down the wing and smashing the ball into a defender? He's technically one of the most reliable players in a strong squad. 

All he's ever lacked is decent finishing. 

He wants to play in tight spaces. Anyone can see he's happier with teammates within 10 yards than having to cut inside and look for them.  I'm alright with him on the wing. It's not me that was booing him for not running fast into a corner.

Never played football manager. What exactly don't you agree with. 

You say "complete cobblers" and then say he's a good footballer that you hope makes the starting line up. 

What's cobblers? Are you saying he should play on the wing where he will just constantly try to get inside to play intricate give and goes and then get slated for not running down the wing and smashing the ball into a defender? He's technically one of the most reliable players in a strong squad. 

All he's ever lacked is decent finishing. 

He wants to play in tight spaces. Anyone can see he's happier with teammates within 10 yards than having to cut inside and look for them.  I'm alright with him on the wing. It's not me that was booing him for not running fast into a corner.

I think you may be over analyzing things. Don't recall anyone had him down or said he was a striker. He was brought in from spurs to be a winger, but he isn't. I think he'll have a bright future as a 5-aside or beach footballer. I just don't think he'll cut it in the championship or the prem. He lacks the ruthlessness and consistency. 

He's the perfect fill in sub for most positions, but he isn't first choice for any positions. I still think he is a talented footballer but isn't a winger supposed to beat his man and whip is a cross? I don't know why you are insinuating that running down the line and whipping in a cross is a bad thing? Is it because the Dawks love brigade the cool thing to be into?

PistoldPete2

Thorne, Hughes and Dawkins in midfield. :cool:

You'd have to have another ball just to let the other team have a kick.

would play keep ball, but would we do enough with it? Hendo or Bryso for me to  add urgency and some end product in the final third. Dawks is a good player, mind. 

Been in SRG's #DMLB since day uno. 

He's class, proper class. I accept he's only shown glimpses and at times his lack of urgency/aggression has been frustrating. But there's a really, really good player there. 

Just needs to fit. Whoever told him he's a striker should be shot. Twice. Playing on the wing works but he's too sort of nice. Like Hughes. He's too safe to be tasked with that role. He wants to play in close quarters intricate little exchanges. 

Getting in the team and getting a run of games is going to be hard for him in a central position. But if he does I think he'll win over some critics. Maybe even @rammieib!! :D

Black Iniesta

The best of luck to him this season, hes shown in glimpses what he can do, but so could Theo Robinson when he was here. I'm not comparing the 2 blokes, im just saying that anyone can look brilliant occasionally.

Dawkins in the last 2 seasons has not shown anything remarkable, his performances have been average at best, his end product is often lacking and that's the truth. As a forward he gets in good positions, but doesn't score/create enough. There might be a class, class player there but he hasn't shown it for me YET. if he was that good he would be in the starting 11 week in, week out this season but it just wont happen and there's a reason for that.

The fact that alot of people on this forum are suggesting he would be better in a central midfield position says it all. Hes been a forward (i presume) all his professional career and based on last seasons display fans have decided he would be better competing for a spot in midfield because hes good at ball retention. As a forward he isn't daring enough, he doesn't beat his man, but credit to him, he rarely loses the ball. 

In any formation he isn't a starter for me over the players we've got, in fairness that does say a lot about the strength of the squad. Some people on twitter suggested we play a diamond formation with Dawks at the tip, again would you honestly put Dawkins in over Ince, Weimann, Russell? Simply not as clinical as the other forwards in the team.

Saying all that, i will support him fully this season when hes on the pitch, i will be rooting for him. Fresh start for the lad, i know he had a torrid time at the back end of last season with family issues, that's past him now. New players, new coach, Fresh start for everyone, no excuses. Hopefully Dawkins will make me eat my words.

I don't understand why people say he has no end product?

He retains possession, he can get assists and he can get goals. He just needs a consistent run in the team.

Competition for places means he'll need to earn a starting position and keep it.

Dawkins is one of the best technical players outside the Premier League. His ball control, vision, movement and dribbling in tight spaces is wonderful to watch, especially for a player at this level.

Sure he has his weaknesses, and it's a great pity his biggest weakness (end product) is the only one that counts in the minds of a few numpties on here, prompting calls of him being 'useless' and 'offers nothing'.

I genuinely found it laughable how much stick he got last season, while Jamie Ward's feint, feint, smash it style was in contrast lauded because he 'looked like' he could create something in the final third.

Dawks is at his best in the middle, I've said it for ages and when played there he has performed very well indeed. He definitely deserves a place in our squad, and I just hope he's given opportunities in the middle.

Just using the same comparison to highlight another of Dawks strengths. For the record I did like Jamie Ward, other than his hot head and stupid fouls.

How many times did we see Ward go for (as Ramage would put it) Worldies! Especially when his legs were tired! And how many time in all the time as he been here have we seen one fly in? Success rate - low.

How many times have we seen Dawkins go for worldies? No way near as much!

Why??

Because he's an INTELLIGENT player who in that second, will assess his chances of scoring such goals and instead will opt to retain possession. 

You can coach decision making but inevitably it all comes down to intelligence.

Same reason why Hughes is better than Hendrick. Or Martin is better than Sammon.

The end product with all of these players is normally the intelligent decision. It may not always be a worldie!

He retains possession, he can get assists and he can get goals. He just needs a consistent run in the team.

Competition for places means he'll need to earn a starting position and keep it.

Be interesting to know how many assists and goals he's got for us since he arrived? I highly doubt he has many to his name.

I understand that part of that will be because of limited playing time, but there's a reason he hasn't had a consistent run in the team, as you mention the competition for places is fierce and the last 2 seasons the other forwards simply offer more.

I know its not all about goals/assists he has other qualities, i accept he is a good squad player, am i happy he's at Derby? yes.

Some people do over hype him though. "One of the best technical players outside the premier league."  Is just abit ridiculous.

Perhaps im under selling him, but its the way i see it...

I can only agree with those saying that Dawkins is a fantastic player at this level and I really hope, and think he will,  have a great season this year if played. 

When he first arrived at the club he was a revelation. Almost never lost the ball, ghosted past players like they weren't there and his link up play was exceptional.  

The dip in form last year we now know was due to something very sad and difficult to deal and come to terms with for him. No wonder his football suffered. 

Hopefully, for himself, his family, the club and the fans, he will be back firing on all cylinders this season. 

Can be the pivotal word - but he hasn't yet. His assists and goals contribution are less than any other forward thinking player in the squad at the moment.

I take the point of view that out wide isn't the best area for him, but its up to him through training and game time opportunities to prove his worth. If he does then great. When he doesn't - I'll mumble silently to myself that he's crap and wait for @Alpha to tell me I was right.

Can be the pivotal word - but he hasn't yet. His assists and goals contribution are less than any other forward thinking player in the squad at the moment.

I take the point of view that out wide isn't the best area for him, but its up to him through training and game time opportunities to prove his worth. If he does then great. When he doesn't - I'll mumble silently to myself that he's crap and wait for @Alpha to tell me I was right.

Would be good if there was a statistician on here that could provide some assists and goals per minute. I think that's a truer way to measure a players contribution and impact.

I don't think the wide position is his best position but looking at how that role is going to be played this year I think he'll be more suited to it. From what I've seen the wide players have more freedom to come inside and to get behind the centre forward so they are not so isolated.

Last season's tactics were more suited to pace and power, until Ince came in and we made some adjustments.

Think it's easy to look too much into statistics, and they don't always reveal the full picture. I think other players often play better with Dawkins in the side - especially Hughes and Hendrick.

He may himself contribute fewer assists and goals than other wingers, but he helps others increase their's.

Think it's easy to look too much into statistics, and they don't always reveal the full picture. I think other players often play better with Dawkins in the side - especially Hughes and Hendrick.

He may himself contribute fewer assists and goals than other wingers, but he helps others increase their's.

Good point!

Archived