Dawkins - Rams Player Interview

JAT

When he first arrived at the club he was a revelation. Almost never lost the ball, ghosted past players like they weren't there and his link up play was exceptional. 

Please dont think I'm Dawkins basher, because i am not.

But I just cant accept that as a fact, in my eyes he wasn't a revelation.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Dawkins had played for us since academy level, I genuinely think he'd be like a right-footed Hughes and have a similar level of hype (although he'd be quite a bit older). Imo, he's much more cut out for playing in the middle than on the wing. If we go with the 442 diamond formation, I'd love to see him in that attacking midfielder role, he could have a breakout season.

With a fully fit squad, Dawkins will be lucky to make the bench. 7 subs consisting of perhaps Russell, Bent, Bryson, Hanson, Pearce, Christie and Carson. To make that bench either PC has to adopt a more attacking bench or Dawkins has to rely on someone being injured. 

With a fully fit squad, Dawkins will be lucky to make the bench. 7 subs consisting of perhaps Russell, Bent, Bryson, Hanson, Pearce, Christie and Carson. To make that bench either PC has to adopt a more attacking bench or Dawkins has to rely on someone being injured. 

Now how does a player of his calibre find himself sat on the bench at all? 

when he is in some peoples views the "one of the best technical players outside the premier league" a "class, class player" a "revelation", a "black iniesta"

It makes you wonder why he's at derby and not in a league above...

P.S i would imagine Dawks will be on the bench come first game of the season, i doubt he will be left out.

I think Dawkins gets overhyped a lot on this forum, maybe to counteract how much stick he seems to get for playing scapegoat from certain fans at the matches. 

He's a decent player but is "supposed" to be a forward/winger, and I wouldn't put him ahead of Russell/Ince/Weimann.

I'd agree he's more effective in the middle but still don't think he's more effective from an attacking perspective and cutting through defences with throughballs when compared to Hendrick/Hughes/Bryson. 

He is excellent at retaining possession, but given that i'm assuming a lot of teams will be parking the bus against us is that exactly what's required when we're trying to kill teams off? 

Now how does a player of his calibre find himself sat on the bench at all? 

when he is in some peoples views the "one of the best technical players outside the premier league" a "class, class player" a "revelation", a "black iniesta"

It makes you wonder why he's at derby and not in a league above...

P.S i would imagine Dawks will be on the bench come first game of the season, i doubt he will be left out.

But who's place on the bench will he have? That's my point. 

There are three Dawkins we could see this season. The one lacking in confidence from last year, in which case I'd say your suggestion is very likely, or the one we've been watching play for Jamaica this summer who is a good premier league quality player who could easily start for us with a fully fit squad. There's also a Dawkins in the middle, who i would bank on being a bench player. I wouldn't like to say which one we'll get and how often we'll get it, but it's certainly going to be interesting to watch, and looking back on the season come next spring I'm fascinated to see how much input Dawkins will have had.

It's going to be very interesting to see this season who the new coach sees as his best team/squad. There are understandably different views from different people on certain players. Dawkins/Keogh/Russell to name but three. Lets see how the new broom views them. For me.............First game, Keogh starts Dawkins & Russell on the bench. As said its going to be very interesting with such a strong squad.

I think Dawkins gets overhyped a lot on this forum, maybe to counteract how much stick he seems to get for playing scapegoat from certain fans at the matches. 

He's a decent player but is "supposed" to be a forward/winger, and I wouldn't put him ahead of Russell/Ince/Weimann.

I'd agree he's more effective in the middle but still don't think he's more effective from an attacking perspective and cutting through defences with throughballs when compared to Hendrick/Hughes/Bryson. 

He is excellent at retaining possession, but given that i'm assuming a lot of teams will be parking the bus against us is that exactly what's required when we're trying to kill teams off? 

He's not supposed to be a forward/winger - the guys attributes point to the fact his best position is clearly in centre-midfield, and the furthest forward of a three.

And you say that you don't think he's more effective from an attacking persepctive? On what basis? He's played a grand total of just two matches in his entire Derby career in the middle, and got MOTM on both occasions.

You don't need to score plenty of goals of create numerous assists to be a great attacking player and benefit those of your teammates. Last season, Barcelona scored over 100 La Liga goals, yet Andres Iniesta scoreda  grand total of ZERO and assisted a grand total of ONE.

Is he a rubbish attacking player? After all, of a midfield three consistent of Busquets, Rakitic and Iniesta, he is the most attacking of the three. He has movement, dribbling ability, amazing vision, passing, agility... the lot.

So why in the best attacking team in the world, does he have a grand total of just one assist? Why?

He's not supposed to be a forward/winger - the guys attributes point to the fact his best position is clearly in centre-midfield, and the furthest forward of a three.

And you say that you don't think he's more effective from an attacking persepctive? On what basis? He's played a grand total of just two matches in his entire Derby career in the middle, and got MOTM on both occasions.

You don't need to score plenty of goals of create numerous assists to be a great attacking player and benefit those of your teammates. Last season, Barcelona scored over 100 La Liga goals, yet Andres Iniesta scoreda  grand total of ZERO and assisted a grand total of ONE.

Is he a rubbish attacking player? After all, of a midfield three consistent of Busquets, Rakitic and Iniesta, he is the most attacking of the three. He has movement, dribbling ability, amazing vision, passing, agility... the lot.

So why in the best attacking team in the world, does he have a grand total of just one assist? Why?

If the guy's attributes point to the fact his best position is clearly in centre-midfield then why has he only played two matches there? Given that he's seen on a daily basis by his coaching staff then you'd assume if he was as effective as you make out then he'd easily get in that position every game.

Comparing Iniesta to Simon Dawkins is ridiculous, they're not even close to the same standard.

I don't think he's a rubbish attacking player, as I said I think he's decent but there's no chance I'd start him over Hendrick/Hughes/Bryson on Saturday until he's proven himself.

If the guy's attributes point to the fact his best position is clearly in centre-midfield then why has he only played two matches there? Given that he's seen on a daily basis by his coaching staff then you'd assume if he was as effective as you make out then he'd easily get in that position every game.

Comparing Iniesta to Simon Dawkins is ridiculous, they're not even close to the same standard.

I don't think he's a rubbish attacking player, as I said I think he's decent but there's no chance I'd start him over Hendrick/Hughes/Bryson on Saturday until he's proven himself.

Iniesta and Dawkins are clearly not to the same standard, but their best attributes and skill set are very similar so there is every reason to compare them. It would be no different to comparing a Championship winger to a world class one.

He's only ever played two matches there for Derby. He regularly plays in the middle for Jamaica, well more as a number 10. I don't know why, but McClaren made a huge mistake in not playing him there.

Or he just felt we had enough bodies there already and it was easier to play Dawks out wide, where he is also capable of performing but just not to the same effect.

Also, how do you prove yourself? Is two MOTM performances in two games at CM not enough to suggest he should be given a longer run in the side in the middle? He must be given a chance.

Iniesta and Dawkins are clearly not to the same standard, but their best attributes and skill set are very similar so there is every reason to compare them. It would be no different to comparing a Championship winger to a world class one.

He's only ever played two matches there for Derby. He regularly plays in the middle for Jamaica, well more as a number 10. I don't know why, but McClaren made a huge mistake in not playing him there.

Or he just felt we had enough bodies there already and it was easier to play Dawks out wide, where he is also capable of performing but just not to the same effect.

Also, how do you prove yourself? Is two MOTM performances in two games at CM not enough to suggest he should be given a longer run in the side in the middle? He must be given a chance.

I don't think McClaren made a mistake. I don't think Dawkins was with it at all last season, in training, so was never picked. It says a lot that someone in Dawkins' emotional state played at all, and McClaren saw enough to sign him permanently from Spurs.

Do you understand what an "example" is?

There's no point debating if you genuinely thought Bris was comparing Dawkins' ability with Iniesta's.

Bris Vegas' point is that measuring an attacking player's effectiveness by goals and assists isn't a perfect science and that if you want to measure the world's greatest team by that method alone, Iniesta looks useless. Which he clearly isn't. Barcelona score lots of goals and Iniesta is an integral part of that side, and clearly contributes with more than goals or assists.

But come on. You knew Bris wasn't saying they were of the same standard. That's not even close to the point he was making.

They're exactly the same type of player, Iniesta's just far better. They're still comparable.

Chris Martin and Diego Costa have very similar play styles, and were compared not only by us but a BBC article mid way through last season. No-ones ever suggested Martin could start for Chelsea.

They're exactly the same type of player, Iniesta's just far better. They're still comparable.

Chris Martin and Diego Costa have very similar play styles, and were compared not only by us but a BBC article mid way through last season. No-ones ever suggested Martin could start for Chelsea.

Its not comparable because Dawkins in his time here has primarily been deployed as a forward. And as a forward he hasnt produced enough, end product lacking.

If Clement sees him as a midfielder, then yes, like iniesta aslong as he makes up for it in other areas he doesn't have to assist/score.

But for me as a forward, thats your job, to score/assist!

Do you understand that Its a rubbish example? Iniesta over 350 apps for barca in midfield, Dawkins 2 apps.

Okay, now we're talking. That's a better counter-point than "Iniesta and Dawkins aren't even close to the same standard". Obviously...

Dawkins plays centrally for Jamaica. He played centrally at times in the MLS. And after some fans calling for him to be played there for Derby, when he finally did, he was MOTM both times.

I prefer Dawkins centrally, personally, but I don't mind him on the wing either, and that's not what this is about anyway. It's this English/Sky Sports obsession with the "Big Two" stats - goals and assists. That's fine for Fantasy Football, but there's more going on on an actual pitch. Dawkins is one of the few players who can always be relied on not to lose the ball. He can be involved in those tight, intricate moves needed to break down the opposition. He rarely find the right pass himself, but is very good at finding the player who will, be that Martin, Hughes or an overlapping full-back.

Not every winger has to have an assist tally larger than his shoe size, have the pace of a cheetah, do a gazillion stepovers and "whip in a good ball" to be effective. In fact you can be a good wide player without having any of those attributes.

Archived