Easy start / Hard start?

zaragozaram

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The longest run of games we have against the supposedly harder teams is three during December and none of those are amongst the main favourites. Looks very good for us on paper but there will obviously be teams who aren't expected to do well but push for promotion

there's one little cluster around end September beginning October where we have 3 of our main rivals in 4 matches, but apart from that it is a pretty reasonable schedule with the supposed tricky matches well spaced.

There ws a comment about Brentfords easy run in but tbf I think we have as reasonable a run-in with all of the big red dots out of the way early March.

I still fancy us to catch Boro cold in game 3. Has that Stuani signed for them yet as that deal had still not been tied up late last week!

There won't be many easy games this season. Every team, no matter how limited, will battle and work their socks off for every ball. Most teams will be well organised, trying to work out ways of stopping us pinging the ball around.

First three games,

Bolton (a)

Charlton (h)

Boro (h)

I'd take 5 points from those three games right now if it were offered.

There won't be many easy games this season. Every team, no matter how limited, will battle and work their socks off for every ball. Most teams will be well organised, trying to work out ways of stopping us pinging the ball around.

First three games,

Bolton (a)

Charlton (h)

Boro (h)

Who would you beat? (5 would be a decent start)

This means absolutely nothing to me I'm afraid.

For starters it is based on bookies odds, which are more aimed at how they expect people to bet rather than how good a team is, although I do realise that there is some sort of link between the two.

Anybody remember our easy run in last season where most people were expecting about 21 points from the last 8 games?!

I wont post the entire article because its pretty long, but this basically says it doesn't matter if its easy or hard or how well you do. The start is irrelevant.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/poor-start-indication-season-progress/story-27521242-detail/story.html

That's a handful of examples. We need Albert's statistical acumen for a full picture......

there's one little cluster around end September beginning October where we have 3 of our main rivals in 4 matches, but apart from that it is a pretty reasonable schedule with the supposed tricky matches well spaced.

There ws a comment about Brentfords easy run in but tbf I think we have as reasonable a run-in with all of the big red dots out of the way early March.

I still fancy us to catch Boro cold in game 3. Has that Stuani signed for them yet as that deal had still not been tied up late last week!

Remember how easy our run in looked last season? We all know how that one turned out don't we...

First three games,

Bolton (a)

Charlton (h)

Boro (h)

Exactly!!

When Bolton host Charlton and when Charlton visit Bolton there will be a different attitude to what they have in their first and second game respectively.

Can't think of the exact phrase but something "...The best have to work harder to stay there"

Look how we've raised our game against top sides in the past. Newcastle, WBA, West Ham (who didn't even get possession in our half for 20mins), Swansea etc only to go and be second best to Doncaster or Coventry. 

You can see from how away fans cheer a point at the ipro that we have a target on us. And now we've spent £10m. 

Someone like Blackburn can assess their fixtures a bit easier. They could go somewhere like Rotherham, play at 80% and win. The times we drop off we'll probably get punished.

Bolton will be so fired up for Saturday. Opening day at home v "big spending Derby" Motivation already there

Who would you beat? (5 would be a decent start)

I'd take the 3 against Boro.

Apart from the fact that I'm actually going to that game, a draw away to Bolton isn't a poor result, and I'd take a 'slow' start with two draws against Bolton and Charlton and then really set our stall out and smash Boro whilst they're off their guard.

I'd take the 3 against Boro.

Apart from the fact that I'm actually going to that game, a draw away to Bolton isn't a poor result, and I'd take a 'slow' start with two draws against Bolton and Charlton and then really set our stall out and smash Boro whilst they're off their guard.

Nahhh I'd take the point away at Bolton but we really need to smash Charlton to send a warning to Boro more than anything...

An advanced  "Welcome to the iPro" warning...

Nahhh I'd take the point away at Bolton but we really need to smash Charlton to send a warning to Boro more than anything...

An advanced  "Welcome to the iPro" warning...

But if we're talking about 5 from our first 3 we can only pick one win and two draws. I reckon a good win against Boro would send them a pretty good message, not to mention a message to the rest of the league. 

But if we're talking about 5 from our first 3 we can only pick one win and two draws. I reckon a good win against Boro would send them a pretty good message, not to mention a message to the rest of the league. 

Who said anything about 5 :D

I want 7... But would settle for 5 (draw with Boro if we have to)

imho  ..   yes  would be excellent  to get off  to a great start  ,      but   just  to   see how bad starts can be misleading

jim smiths  first  6 matches  of season  95/96

1 win ,  2 draws , 3 defeats ...   the results  didnt get much better  until  November 11th ....        ended up  Promoted

2006/07  season   First 6 matches   1 win  ,   2 draws  ,   3 defeats   ,  still  hit and miss  until  Nov  1st  ...  ended up  Promoted

2011/12 season   won first  4 fixtures  ...   ended up   12th 

Archived