Derby County v Villarreal

i-Ram

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too much is used to compare English and Spanish teams through cup competitions which is just daft. 

La Liga and even the Bundesliga have winter breaks, over Christmas Barca play 3 league games whilst Chelsea will play 6. Or Bayern will play just 3 games between 5th December and 23rd January, Chelsea? 9 games. This is without throwing in FA Cup games to the mix.

I'm not saying a winter break would help Chelsea beat Barca, Real or Bayern they are the best 3 teams in the world right now, it would help give the players a break, time to refresh. At the same time as a fan I love the Christmas football schedule.

It's been said by countless players how demanding this league is, to expect clubs to go out there and keep up in Europe is too much.

I still maintain outside the top 2 the Bundesliga and La Liga are nowhere near as competitive as the Premier League, last season after Chelsea's first Champions League game v Shalke they played Man City 4 days later. Second Champions League game away at Sporting they played Arsenal 5 days later.

You can't go saving players after European games against teams like that, we have Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City and even Liverpool a couple seasons ago all being strong contenders to win the league. 

Barca? 1st game v Apeol with 4 days later Levante, 2nd game v PSG 3 days after playing Granada. No comparison really, these are games against clubs which Barca finished with 50+ points more, an absolute walk over for them.

Give the English teams a winter break and help them out fixture wise for European games then we will see better performances in Europe. Football isn't a video game.

Way off topic now, I'll give myself a warning.

I'd actually take your opinion more seriously if you give proper examples to what you're saying.

The fixture list is pot luck. And if the PL was so competitive, the best team in the league would have lost more than just three games all season. Even Celtic lost more and they played five games less!

That said, I also love the winter schedule and gives us English football fans something to look forward to over the festive period. I think the English leage finishes too early, extend the league into June and they might be fresher.

Villarreal at Crystal Palace's level :lol:

May aswell go the whole hog and say Southampton are at Barcelona's level too.

How can everyone else be wrong by having a winter break... And we are right by not having one.... 

We have needed one for years.... Unfortunately Sky is the problem... It's showing matches in the Far East etc over Christmas... Money talks... That's actually in David Davies autobiography... Sky chief and Mr Scudamore actually said this...

First week of January... 

We're straying off topic here, but why can't English football have its cake and it eat it? Have a winter break by all means, but just stick it in January and then everyone gets their winter schedule. 

La Liga only has two weeks off. Premier League can keep their festive period, take two weeks off from Jan 2 - 16 or whatever and then pull the league date back two weeks at the end and finish in June.

Solves all problems, doesn't disrupt anything other than the first round of the FA Cup which could also easily be moved back a couple of weeks. Allows players to take a quick sunny break in Qatar or something and return fresh.

Bayern had 6 weeks off last season over Christmas, that's almost what our players had before returning to pre season training over the summer, that's just mental and you can't deny there is a massive advantage there to the Germans. 

Whilst Bayern were having their break Chelsea played, Stoke, West Ham, Southampton, Spurs, Newcastle, Swansea in the league, a 2 leg semi final in the League Cup v Liverpool and 2 FA Cup games v Watford and Bradford.

Bayern returned on the 30th January, played their first Champions League game February 17th v Shakhtar, sandwiched between games in the league v Hamburger and Paderborn, both of which finished in the bottom 3, come on now, really?

If you want to see English teams improve in Europe need to help them out a bit here, and until we have a level playing field I won't read anything into European game results. 

I have a nasty feeling that Villareal will exploit any defensive weaknesses on wednesday.We need to be tight at the back. This is a very useful test for us. Derby 1 Villareal 2 realistically. If all gels well then a draw.

Just been announced on BBC Radio Derby that Shackell's fitness is being "monitored" as he hasn't had the same amount of pre-season training as the other players in the squad.

This is not a game to introduce him for a full 90 minutes as the hamstrings, muscles and, dare I say it, ligaments, have not yet been stretched or properly developed for the coming season.

We don't want another pre-season injury to the "star" signing to whom many think is the missing link for the defence.

I have a nasty feeling that Villareal will exploit any defensive weaknesses on wednesday.We need to be tight at the back. This is a very useful test for us. Derby 1 Villareal 2 realistically. If all gels well then a draw.

If any prats around me starting booing Keogh or berate him for a goal clearly not his fault, you can expect a steaming hot, half eaten chicken balti to be lobbed in you're direction.

If any prats around me starting booing Keogh or berate him for a goal clearly not his fault, you can expect a steaming hot, half eaten chicken balti to be lobbed in you're direction.

Sam -DCFC_1994P, lease endeavour to hold onto the Balti without starting it, as it could be an early occurrence and I like my Balti unopened. I am a fan of Keogh's, he is now our second best centre half, I think. Keogh has been covering for other players, now Shackell will cover for him.

Newsflash, Rampage has passed 1000 posts (not including the lost ones). Number Crunchers from Massachusets Institute of Technology have declared  that 117 were indisputably in the correct thread, 43 may have been in the correct thread. The remaining posts were still being processed and it it is to be hoped that they would be read sympathetically and deemed to be valid in the broader scheme of things..

Just been announced on BBC Radio Derby that Shackell's fitness is being "monitored" as he hasn't had the same amount of pre-season training as the other players in the squad.

This is not a game to introduce him for a full 90 minutes as the hamstrings, muscles and, dare I say it, ligaments, have not yet been stretched or properly developed for the coming season.

We don't want another pre-season injury to the "star" signing to whom many think is the missing link for the defence.

Walk about part for the last five minutes with a Cruyff turn or two will be about right. I think.

How can everyone else be wrong by having a winter break... And we are right by not having one.... 

We have needed one for years.... Unfortunately Sky is the problem... It's showing matches in the Far East etc over Christmas... Money talks... That's actually in David Davies autobiography... Sky chief and Mr Scudamore actually said this...

First week of January... 

Yes I agree , Sky tends to influence the schedule. The premier league is already the favourite out in Asia , so what could currently be better than having no viewing competition for virtually one month of the season for sky ??

Our authorities probably just look at the revenue streams and then appear unprepared to challenge this even for the good of the national team.

2-1 to Villareal. They will probably control most of the game but like clement said, he bases his tactics and formation on the opposition. So i'd expect us to keep it tight and maybe look to counter when we can. Set pieces could be important for us again like they were against Uterecht. 

Archived