Club Ownership?

CornwallRam

OK, we’re splashing the cash in a way not seen at Derby County for many a year. It feels a bit like when Arthur Cox bought a new team with Lionel Pickering’s money. Clearly that cash is coming from somewhere and I hope it’s not from a Panamanian version of Wonga. The most obvious source of the finance is Mel Morris. He seems to be acting like either a sole owner or a shareholder with a sizeable majority. Yet there has been no announcement of any takeover. Indeed, I believe that Ramblur intimated that the paper trail he followed indicated that Mel was a very minor shareholder. It seems almost inconceivable that things haven’t changed since then.

The OS still lists the owners as:

Andy Appleby

Bill Luby

Jeff Mallett

Mel Morris

Tom Ricketts

Tom Vertin

W. Brett Wilson

Does anyone know if things have changed recently or has Mel just convinced the previously conservative owners to stump up? Anyone heard any ownership gossip at all?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well this splurge is certainly looking much better than the one they went in when they first came in! :D

Truly happy days at the moment. There was a chance that the bitter disappointment of the end of last season might have carried through the summer and hung over us still when the new season kicks off. Not a chance of that now! :)

24419e34decb0fe0d03565e301ebf2c6.png

I find that absolutely staggering. Normally I'd think that this is so unlikely that it must be a lie, but I'd find it even more incredible if Brett Wilson deliberately lied in such an unambiguous and public answer. The only wiggle room there is if Mel actually became the major shareholder 15 months ago - but I'm sure that paperwork would have landed somewhere by now. 

Maybe our billionaire owners have finally decided to act like, well, billionaire owners!

I find that absolutely staggering. Normally I'd think that this is so unlikely that it must be a lie, but I'd find it even more incredible if Brett Wilson deliberately lied in such an unambiguous and public answer. The only wiggle room there is if Mel actually became the major shareholder 15 months ago - but I'm sure that paperwork would have landed somewhere by now. 

Maybe our billionaire owners have finally decided to act like, well, billionaire owners!

They're intelligent businessmen, not billionaire playboys using a football club as a plaything. No point splashing the cash when the club's in disarray and the squad is woeful as it was during Clough's very important tenure. 

During McClaren's season he explicitly told the board he didn't think more signings were necessary other than Thorne, that was widely publicised. 

I think it makes complete sense that this is the point in which our owners are investing in players, the coach wants to strengthen and we are in a position to compete for promotion. What's important to the board is building a squad capable of stabilising in the premiership, with a view to rolling profits for them, or selling the club on once it's established.

Why would Brett Wilson lie, he has nothing to gain from that. When Mel Morris became chairman it was stated that he was a significant minority shareholder. 

Remember over the years the ownership group without Mel have put in a millions some have stated upto 100 million. So maybe Mel is playing catch up. For that I for one salute him

Why would Brett Wilson lie, he has nothing to gain from that. When Mel Morris became chairman it was stated that he was a significant minority shareholder. 

Remember over the years the ownership group without Mel have put in a millions some have stated upto 100 million. So maybe Mel is playing catch up. For that I for one salute him

My point was that Brett wouldn't lie - even if he had to hide the truth for some unknown contractual reason, he'd simply not have answered. Such a clear answer indicates with something approaching 'beyond reasonable doubt' that the ownership group is unchanged in over a year. It is that, given the sudden sea-change in spending policy, which I find completely amazing. Such a change wouldn't be particularly surprising if it was caused by a wealthy fan suddenly taking over the club, but is quite remarkable from an ownership group who brought us austerity before George Osborne had even learnt to spell it and were the driving force behind the introduction of FFP in the Championship.

This issue was discussed with Mel during our visit, there has been no change in the ownership make up in terms of the individuals involved.

Whilst Mel did confirm how much he'd agreed to invest, and what return he was gaining, share wise, for commercial reasons he asked us not to disclose this information.

However he was quite happy for us to state it was significantly under a 50% holding.

Hope this info helps, I'm sure it's in the 'our day with Mel' thread.

I think Brett for one has become noticeably more engaged with the club. After all his health problems, what's the point of running an overseas sports team in a very austere way? Where's the excitement in that? He doesn't need to count his pennies, so is maybe looking for a bit of pleasure/fun/success out of this project he bought into.

Extra spend must be connected with the massive tv money now in the Prem and the ramping up of the competition to get there. No point trundling around on 20-22k gates and a decent but small squad hoping to sneak 6th and blag a play off win, especially as the relegated clubs and assorted hopefuls are raising the spending bar in the Champ.

The value of promotion makes it worth throwing a few quid at it, it's like a poker game where the pot is so big you might as well see another card. Plus we have some momentum since Sam came in and took the plunge to replace our Nig, and it's be criminal to let that slip.

outrageous.

You're drinking that crap. 

For two euros?

It's a euro in Cyprus. 

It was the only beer on sale at the ground. We got back to Scheveningen at around 7:00 pm, and I was safely tucking away my first Duvel at about 7:15.

I would say that the financial outlay at the moment, puts MM on an even footing with the rest of the

Board, and that they have agreed to him improving the squad, rather than a payment to them. Which

was obviously suggested by Mel and accepted.  THANK GOD!!!!

Archived