Albentosa to Malaga - Loan

Srg

Hope the club learns its lesson from the embarrassing fanfare with which we celebrated the transfer, looking back it almost seems like we were writing his own story for him in which he was doomed to fail.

All that fanfare and we gave him a Bic to sign with? 

If I'd known that, I wouldn't have been so enthusiastic.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The comments attributed to Eric Steele suggested that the management thought at the time that the club had got it wrong in expending too much time and effort in getting Albentosa in at the expense of higher priorities. 

But are we?

Apart from pinning hopes on Shackell, the likelihood of which recedes on an almost daily basis, I am not seeing any coherent plan that we have overhauled the defence in any signifcant way. We've played a few combinations and are possibly going to try a couple more if/when bucko is fit but that is all.

Baird is in and might be RB, or CB (but a bit small say some) or is a CDM.

Doesn't smack of being where we intended to be.

Narrow it down a bit and relax. Albi came in, was crap, Clemmo checked to make sure and has binned him.

Broaden it out to the whole defence. For 1 and a half seasons (alas three quarters of one and three quarters of the next) we have been a top side at this level with Keogh and Buxton and not a great deal behind them. Now we're got Pearce as competition. That's progress. We've also allegedly got a pot of money to sign Shackell, or someone else if it comes to it. I'd call that brilliant.

Still say more likely than not we'll sign Shackell.

Do we know Derby have 'binned' him? Maybe he came back from the summer break and asked for a move back to Spain. I don't think he was lying when he said his ambition was to play in England but it sounds like his personal circumstances have made it difficult for him to do that. I  wish him and his family well and look forward to seeing who we spend his wages on. 

So if a significant number of people had a poor first impression of Albentosa what does this say about Chris Evans?

unlucky? 

Feel a bit sorry for the guy and I hope the loan works out for him. Couldn't really get settled, was in a team that was beginning to freefall plus he'd just become a dad. Professional footballer or not he's still human like the rest of us.

A real shame because with Clement speaking da lingo and possibly playing at RCB with Pearce at LCB, I thought we'd see him starting to come good and his performance at Grimsby was decent.

Harry Redknapp spoke in his book about the difficulty of integrating foreign players. He said that it is totally unrealistic to expect a foreign player to come in, who doesn't speak the language; is uprooted from friends and family; hasn't got a uk driving license; doesn't know the place or where to get anything; hasn't got a house; who's wife is unhappy- etc etc - to come in, be accepted, and perform well.

They need a whole network of support and time to adjust.

i'd say that this was never more evident than with Albentosa. He was ignored by the other players. Unfortunately It seems that he was also significantly over-rated and that there was a basic lack of ability. altho he had some attributes, he looked a bit of a donkey, and was to prone to switch off.

nevertheless he seemed like a genuine guy and i'm sure everyone wishes him well.

He's only human, And it couldn't of been easy for him making the move from Spain, Especially when England as a whole is completely foreign to you.

I think for a transfer like this to work, You need to sign them in the summer. This way you have more time to get to know them as people, Rather than just footballers. Because coming in when he did, Everyone expected far too much and the guy had no real time to settle without pressure/criticism.

And now he's on loan to a team that not long ago was in the Champions League... Let that just sink in a minute.

He's only human, And it couldn't of been easy for him making the move from Spain, Especially when England as a whole is completely foreign to you.

I think for a transfer like this to work, You need to sign them in the summer. This way you have more time to get to know them as people, Rather than just footballers. Because coming in when he did, Everyone expected far too much and the guy had no real time to settle without pressure/criticism.

And now he's on loan to a team that not long ago was in the Champions League... Let that just sink in a minute.

That side is a long, long way from the team that was in the CL.

So if a significant number of people had a poor first impression of Albentosa what does this say about Chris Evans?

unlucky? 

Add in Shotton and Warnock...

Basically, the best team we have is still Clough's players. Ince has skill, Bent has poachers instinct, Pearce might be another sound defender at this level, Carson might take the #1 spot off Granty...but most peoples first 11 would still have at least 7 or 8 Clough signings in it.

Chris Evans has a bit to do to convince me that he knows his arse from his elbow.

Archived