Paul Clement - 1st month impressions?

Rev

How do you feel it's going so far under our new head coach?

Happy with how the squads shaping up, do you have faith in the new boy, can you see differences between our approach now and previous seasons?

What, if anything, do you like so far, what would you change, which area of the team would you like him to prioritise, and why? 

Will he recognise what a great player Martin is, for instance? So far he'll have seen little of him, especially with him being injured upto now, will he rate him as highly as we all do?

Can he coax Bryson back into form, and play him in his correct position, or will he see him as a luxery we can't afford, a massive mistake imo?

Has the Grimsby game opened his eyes to our defensive frailties, or will he see it as nothing more than a training session with a poor outcome?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very intelligent guy who knows that there is a big job ahead.He is not the spokesman for Derby County, he is part of a team of people. Training the players is his job and doing tactics. I think that he will be very circumspect. He will not criticise people. He will get what he wants for 18 months but will be under pressure to get promotion within two years. No big talk, all hard work and planning. he is not building false expectations.He needs help and he will get it in abundance. He will teach us that it will take time and hope that we take our chances and get a bit of luck in defence. He knows that he needs a centre half of stature.Norwich came good at a critical time and were promoted. i would not expect us to gel quickly and neither will he. He will have no favourites.Very talented guy with a great future. Rome was not built in a day.Mel can have no complaints because nobody has come to the Club that he does not want here. There may be more pressure on Mel Morris than on Paul Clement.

Not much to say, we don't even know how much say he's had in the signings - I guess not much. 

Based on the game against Grimsby, I would say that it's going to take some time to get his ideas across. Thorne, Hanson and Hughes looked clueless and the team was severely disorganised. Second half was much better, but we will find out more as each game passes. 

He was my first choice as McClaren's replacement so I did/do have high hopes. I'm still not sure we have the best squad in the division, we're two or three away from that. I also don't know if he's going to shoot himself in the foot by allowing the wrong players to leave, i.e. Buxton, Martin, Keogh. 

How do you feel it's going so far under our new head coach?

Way too early to tell, but fairly happy with the signings and glad to see we've (so far) kept a hold of Hughes and Martin. Really happy he managed to convince Ince and Bent to sign even though it was McClaren who originally put faith in them.

Happy with how the squads shaping up, do you have faith in the new boy, can you see differences between our approach now and previous seasons?

So far yes, obviously I'd love it if Shackell was added, a holding mid and maybe a couple of young Prem loans, but so far so good. I have a lot of faith in Clement, you don't get to be assistant at PSG, Real Madrid and Chelsea if you're not good at what you do.

What, if anything, do you like so far, what would you change, which area of the team would you like him to prioritise, and why? 

Not seen enough yet to know what I'd like to change. And I'd like Clement to prioritise the holding mid position once the Shackell saga is sorted. We saw how bad injuries can affect your season and we had 3 senior holding mids. So to currently have just Thorne and Baird, who both haven't played much football over the past couple of years is a little worrying but I'm sure Clement has a plan to sort that.

The only real disappointment for me so far was Clement's decision to release Steele after it looked all set that he was staying. He got rid of one of the best goalkeeping coaches in the country and replaced him with someone who's only coached the Philippine national team's keepers. Obviously he preferred to have someone he knows and can trust, but Steele looked all set to stay so I wonder what changed that?

Will he recognise what a great player Martin is, for instance? So far he'll have seen little of him, especially with him being injured upto now, will he rate him as highly as we all do?

He's watched videos and I'm sure people around the club will have told him how highly rated he is. Hopefully whatever system he decides to use will enable Martin to perform to the same ability he has for the past 2 seasons.

Can he coax Bryson back into form, and play him in his correct position, or will he see him as a luxery we can't afford, a massive mistake imo?

Bryson hasn't turned sh*te over night, he just needs to regain his confidence and get back to doing what he was during the 2013-14 season. We had one of the best midfielders in the league being wasted last season because he was played so deep, lets hope Clement doesn't make the same mistake.

Has the Grimsby game opened his eyes to our defensive frailties, or will he see it as nothing more than a training session with a poor outcome?

It's opened my eyes to which fans are wrist slashers and over react way too easily, that's about it :lol:

Be interesting to see how he uses Baird...

He was captain second half vs Grimsby which to me indicates that PC sees Baird as an important player, who we may see playing regularly.

Was Baird at Fulham when Clement was there if so maybe he knows him well or has contacts .

Actually just found out  Clement was at Chelsea when Baird was at Fulham but it's still in London football circles  

Baird is obviously a Clement choice which is good as he must see something that we need in him  .

Im looking forward to seeing him play  

Was Baird at Fulham when Clement was there if so maybe he knows him well or has contacts .

Actually just found out  Clement was at Chelsea when Baird was at Fulham but it's still in London football circles  

Baird is obviously a Clement choice which is good as he must see something that we need in him  .

Im looking forward to seeing him play  

As am i! I wonder if he will play him along side Thorne or instead of.

As am i! I wonder if he will play him along side Thorne or instead of.

He's a RB mostly but could do the DM role I suppose but it's him or Thorne I would imagine rather than together in the midfield as we have better players like Hughes, Hendricks and Bryson and even Dawkins for the other midfield roles. 

Archived