Back room staff announced

Cardifframs

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Give then all a chance for God's sake

Back in the 70's  - me dad used to always say at the start of the season...that we would always lose the first four games of the seaon....most of the time he was right, maybe pick the odd point up....but it all came good.....

its all a bit new down there.....but we seem to have got a good mix of experience, people who have been here before, and enthusiasm.......

upbeat chaps....

Well a more learned individual than yourself, who's coached some of the most skilled footballers on the planet decided that this is how he wants things to be ran.  I have faith that it'll work out ok.

My point is, bringng in a man who has 13 years coaching experience is a safer bet than a perma-tanned ex Wimbledon player, who'd barely passed his badges.

As for Zuber, a lot of GK coaches with less experience than him have started at bigger clubs than ours and became highly respected coaches, Chris Woods, Carlo l'ami and John Ackterberg to name a few.

and I too have to find the faith to hope it works out. Doesn't seem to fit in with Mr Mel Morris' "Derby Way" which identifies the right people for the right roles. It can hardly be classed as that when the whole coaching setup are ALL turning up for the first day in the role as "head coach", "first team coach", and "goalkeeping coach", for the first time at club level in their respective careers!

I can welcome one gamble, but 3 separate gambles?!?!

Steele the first time at Derby had no real track record, he helped out with the keepers at the odd club like wolves and did some kids coaching, yet he was/is a good coach and has had a good career. How does someone get a track record if they never get an opportunity? That's why the same failed managers get job after job.

Wont Clement be doing most of the coaching himself anyway? Isn't that why we have brought him in as he is thought off as a class coach? Peacock clearly knows what he is doing as he wouldn't have held the positions he has for so long and Clement has chosen him as he trusts him.

Steele came into Derby (the first time) into a massively experienced setup. This whole setup now seems like a team of graduates! Peacock's roles, IMO, are barely related to this role he now has.

Personally I think the changes will bring youth a chance to step up into the fold, that was an agenda a few seasons ago but since Hughes/Hendrick, how many others have stepped up to a regular berth?

if there kept on, bunkaju, Lowe, rawson etc will surely get an opportunity 

Well I think this Zuberbuhler guy shows we are going places, I think it's only fare we give him a chance and see if he can get Grant on the road to recovery, if he doesn't then it's Taaaaaxi for Zuber

Personally I think the changes will bring youth a chance to step up into the fold, that was an agenda a few seasons ago but since Hughes/Hendrick, how many others have stepped up to a regular berth?

if there kept on, bunkaju, Lowe, rawson etc will surely get an opportunity 

I appreciate, and agree in principle with the notion of youth players breaking through, but the reality is, even at the best clubs, only a handful of players come through every ten years.

Personally, I don't get the criticism for any manager not picking youth players like your Bunjaku and Lowe, and Rawson etc, simply you should pick your best XI, and try to win. Quality and ability OVER youth or experience (either way). 

Apart from Southampton , they pull one out of the hat every now and then to top up their coffers .

Another 12.5 million today .

who?

Nathaniel Clyne? Pretty sure they bought him from Watford

Or was it Palace? I think it was Palace actually. He certainly never came through Soton's academy.

Well I think this Zuberbuhler guy shows we are going places, I think it's only fare we give him a chance and see if he can get Grant on the road to recovery, if he doesn't then it's Taaaaaxi for Zuber

I think - unfortunately for the pun - that when he played for the Swiss national team he had "Zubi" on the back of his shirt.

I hope Zuberbuhler is as good as a coach as he was a goalie.

My thoughts exactly. At least he is well-connected to Philippines football...

Overall, change of coaches is only positive as old ones and their trainig systems won't develop players endlessly.

I think - unfortunately for the pun - that when he played for the Swiss national team he had "Zubi" on the back of his shirt.

You'd think with the money those lot have stored away in the banks they could afford to pay for his full name to be printed

it's exactly like it. We have 3 members of staff who have NEVER held positions at this level.

Some people scoffed at Nigel coming from Non-League, but believe it or not, I didn't. I won't moan that Clement is untested, BUT like with Clough, I want experienced and professional staff to back him up. I don't think Peacock has enough experience with senior pros, and I don't think Zuberbuhler has coaching experience of any note.

As you can imagine, I will support and hope the whole setup is successful, but with Steele, there was a proven track record.

I know what you are saying, but they do have a lot of experience between them. John Peacock didn't just manage the U17's in the England set up. He was also head of senior elite coaching development, which I am guessing is where he came into contact with Clement. Eric Steele was a strange decision but as he was responsible for coaching not only the goalkeepers, but also the defence from set plays, I think he maybe fell a little short there in the chaos towards the back end of the season. 

I know what you are saying, but they do have a lot of experience between them. John Peacock didn't just manage the U17's in the England set up. He was also head of senior elite coaching development, which I am guessing is where he came into contact with Clement. Eric Steele was a strange decision but as he was responsible for coaching not only the goalkeepers, but also the defence from set plays, I think he maybe fell a little short there in the chaos towards the back end of the season. 

and that's where the Swiss clean sheet record comes into play! 

See, it all falls into place. No one needs to worry about anything.

I'm with Daveo. Who are we to judge coaches? 

Lack of experience? Have a look what Clement and Peacock have been doing. 

Zuberbuhler? Maybe Clement has seen how he works. Spoken to him about the way he does things. Maybe he likes his philosophy and ideas and work ethic. Or should he go and get the oldest GK coach he can find to appease our need for experience even if that coach has methods that don't fit in at all. 

How does this not fit "the Derby way" Mostyn? The whole point is that these coaches are all being brought in to expand on McClaren's work. Then when these lot go it doesn't matter if we have a whole new clean sweep again because the anyone coming into the club will be expanding on what these guys leave behind. The philosophy is installed. Everyone recruited to fit that philosophy. That's why Clement was chosen and not Dyche. Otherwise it would break the mould. That's why identifying potential players is seperate. So we can continue to have lists who fit the Derby way and then new coaches (who also fit the philosophy) will always leave behind a certain style on the team. 

It doesn't mean we can't change people. It just narrows the type of people down so whenever new people do come in, they recognise what is left for them. Nobody will need to massive overhaul any squads. Just bring their own staff and slot right in

I'm with Daveo. Who are we to judge coaches? 

Lack of experience? Have a look what Clement and Peacock have been doing. 

Zuberbuhler? Maybe Clement has seen how he works. Spoken to him about the way he does things. Maybe he likes his philosophy and ideas and work ethic. Or should he go and get the oldest GK coach he can find to appease our need for experience even if that coach has methods that don't fit in at all. 

How does this not fit "the Derby way" Mostyn? The whole point is that these coaches are all being brought in to expand on McClaren's work. Then when these lot go it doesn't matter if we have a whole new clean sweep again because the anyone coming into the club will be expanding on what these guys leave behind. The philosophy is installed. Everyone recruited to fit that philosophy. That's why Clement was chosen and not Dyche. Otherwise it would break the mould. That's why identifying potential players is seperate. So we can continue to have lists who fit the Derby way and then new coaches (who also fit the philosophy) will always leave behind a certain style on the team. 

It doesn't mean we can't change people. It just narrows the type of people down so whenever new people do come in, they recognise what is left for them. Nobody will need to massive overhaul any squads. Just bring their own staff and slot right in

quite simply, the reports from the chosen few suggested Mr Morris was keen to instill a certain mentality and philosophy, which required a certain "skill set" for each role, yet here we are employing people who cannot truly say they have a proven track record for these roles, hence they do not fit in with the much lauded vision.

Archived