Back room staff announced

Cardifframs

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, to go with a new manager (sorry Head Coach) who's never managed before, we've picked a new goalkeeping coach who's effectively never done that before (apart from the occasional week in the Phillipines). Does seem a strange one. Let's hope he's better than his CV suggests.

Steve Mc's CV wasn't particularly that great when Jim Smith brought him in the first time around.

Don't get me wrong it would sound great to have a backroom team of Eranio, Stimac and Wanchope, those names still put a smile on my face but it could be a total horror show on the training ground.

If they appointed Eranio as one of our coaches I think I might have a sex wee in my trousers... :wub:

Fortunately that's never going to happen

Just a little something from Wiki, about our new goalkeeping coach

Zuberbühler has been capped 51 times by Switzerland and was a member of the Swiss squads for Euro 2004, Euro 2008 and World Cup 2006. Despite having received criticism in the run-up to the 2006 tournament, particularly his handling of crosses, he did not concede a goal in exactly 463 minutes of football against hard shots from France, South Korea, and Togo as his team lost in the last 16 on penalties against Ukraine. Switzerland are the only team in the history of the tournament not to concede a goal in normal time. Zuberbühler holds the record for most successive matches at an international tournament without conceding (five games). On 11 June 2008, he played his last game with the Swiss national team, during the 2–0 victory over Portugal in Euro 2008, held in his home country.

this is feeling far too similar to Phil Brown, Kevin Poole and Dean Holdsworth for my liking.

Come on Most, it's nowhere near.  As soon as Brown came in, he said he wanted an experienced No 2 to help him out, and about four weeks later he brought in Holdsworth who's younger than him.  PC obviously sees the merits of an old head and has employed a man who's not only older, but has an affinity with the club and has been sought after for a long time.  Chalk & cheese.

As for Zubar, you don't have to be a world class player to be a world class coach...  let's see how keepers perform over a few games before writing him off...

New manager/head coach comes in, new manager/head coach appoints his own coaching staff who he can trust and is confident he can work with. That's how it works 99% of the time in football, I don't see what the big problem is here?

Clement isn't going to keep Steele and Simpson on just to please the fans. They served us well in their time at the club, but it's time for both parties to move on, have a fresh start and let the new guys get down to work.

Come on Most, it's nowhere near.  As soon as Brown came in, he said he wanted an experienced No 2 to help him out, and about four weeks later he brought in Holdsworth who's younger than him.  PC obviously sees the merits of an old head and has employed a man who's not only older, but has an affinity with the club and has been sought after for a long time.  Chalk & cheese.

As for Zubar, you don't have to be a world class player to be a world class coach...  let's see how keepers perform over a few games before writing him off...

it's exactly like it. We have 3 members of staff who have NEVER held positions at this level.

Some people scoffed at Nigel coming from Non-League, but believe it or not, I didn't. I won't moan that Clement is untested, BUT like with Clough, I want experienced and professional staff to back him up. I don't think Peacock has enough experience with senior pros, and I don't think Zuberbuhler has coaching experience of any note.

As you can imagine, I will support and hope the whole setup is successful, but with Steele, there was a proven track record.

Tbf that was because the rest of the team was set up like a defensive rock

Maybe, but he is the one with the record and will have contributed towards it.

Also he had Senderos in front of him and that is an achievement in itself :lol:

it's exactly like it. We have 3 members of staff who have NEVER held positions at this level.

Some people scoffed at Nigel coming from Non-League, but believe it or not, I didn't. I won't moan that Clement is untested, BUT like with Clough, I want experienced and professional staff to back him up. I don't think Peacock has enough experience with senior pros, and I don't think Zuberbuhler has coaching experience of any note.

As you can imagine, I will support and hope the whole setup is successful, but with Steele, there was a proven track record.

Well a more learned individual than yourself, who's coached some of the most skilled footballers on the planet decided that this is how he wants things to be ran.  I have faith that it'll work out ok.

My point is, bringng in a man who has 13 years coaching experience is a safer bet than a perma-tanned ex Wimbledon player, who'd barely passed his badges.

As for Zuber, a lot of GK coaches with less experience than him have started at bigger clubs than ours and became highly respected coaches, Chris Woods, Carlo l'ami and John Ackterberg to name a few.

Just typical of Derby fans to be calling doomsday before it's even begun. Give them a chance for Christ sake.

It's important for those of a cynical mind, that when the times comes when everything does fail they can say, "told you so."

I believe Zuberbuhler has been helping out at Fulham in a coaching role recently.

Steele the first time at Derby had no real track record, he helped out with the keepers at the odd club like wolves and did some kids coaching, yet he was/is a good coach and has had a good career. How does someone get a track record if they never get an opportunity? That's why the same failed managers get job after job.

Wont Clement be doing most of the coaching himself anyway? Isn't that why we have brought him in as he is thought off as a class coach? Peacock clearly knows what he is doing as he wouldn't have held the positions he has for so long and Clement has chosen him as he trusts him.

Happy with Peacock but one thing we lost with Steele was that he brought Butland here just by his name. No offence to the new guy, hes only young and I hope we can say the same about him in years to come but with Steele came a reputation renowned in the goalkeeping world.

Archived