Seth Johnson Derby legend

Bris Vegas

Not only did he leave us for Leeds, but he almost went to Rangers a year before.

Not quite a legend as the title suggets, more a hardworking fairly average PL midfielder in his prime. But what a guy.

“I was at Derby and left there at 22 for Leeds United,” Johnson told The Scottish Sun. “But the year before Rangers wanted me to come up and have a look around."

“They were flying at the time. I knew they were a massive club and how intense the rivalry with Celtic was."

“It would have been a problem if it had leaked out I’d gone to Ibrox on the quiet, as I was still a Derby player."

“Derby were looking for a lot of money, up to £8m, and it didn’t happen with Rangers. But if they’d agreed a fee with Derby then, yes, I’d have seriously considered moving.”

Did anyone else know about this? I wonder how many other Derby players over the years have gone off to look at other club while under contract with us? Or is he implying he didn't go?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I more often than not like your posts Bris, but to say that Seth is a Derby legend......come on... glad you reprieved yourself by saying he was jsut a hardworking average midfielder.

Yep, they all get tapped up, all the time, i could never undersand all the fuss about Ashley Cole going to Chelsea, anyone who thinks it doesnt happen every single day is lliving in a dream world.

For the record, i think he would have been decent in the Scottish league, but another 8 million down the drain is all that Rangers need..!!

I think players can be legends for other reasons than just skill.

He ripped Leeds off for one.

he came back and helped a band of brothers win at Wembley is another.

Will Bucko be remembered as a Legend in some people's eyes?  I believe so.

Attitude is just as valuable as outrageous skill in the stuff of legends. Sethlad had that in spades, and when you add in his single-handed contribution towards the financial meltdown of the Dirties, he's getting close.

Skills is great, possibly the most skilful I've ever seen in a Rams shirt would be Kinkladze, but will he be remembered as a legend? Not a chance. Remembered with respect and some good memories, but not a legend. Seth didn't have a shred of Kinky's skill but will be remembered as a legend because of his other attibutes, the fact that he achieved something here, and the leeds thing.

He was asked to have a look around at Rangers? Not bothered. Bryson had a look at Burnley. It's not a problem to be wanted by another club, it's only a problem if you do a Tyrone Mears.

IMO the word "legend" has become the most overused and corrupted word (in terms of departure from its original contextual use) in football.

Seth did some good stuff, but I think it the nostalgia of him achieving something with us in the twilight of his career, rather than his relatively ordinary first spell with us has skewed views.

What he had done to get such a plum bid out of Leeds I could never fathom. But Ridsdale was an idiot. 

legends for me are probably players that will never be in anyone's top 11, or maybe in the top 20.

I am an admirer of players who give their all, that's why the likes of Seth and Paul Peschisolido, and Michael Johnson are amongst MY legends!

legends for me are probably players that will never be in anyone's top 11, or maybe in the top 20.

I am an admirer of players who give their all, that's why the likes of Seth and Paul Peschisolido, and Michael Johnson are amongst MY legends!

Long live Gary Teale.

and hence my precise point - Legend means something different to all of us.

I apply a somewhat different interpretation. I'm not claiming intellectual purity over you, but if I apply your definition strictly then I would come up with names like Steve Maclaren who always got substituted after about 65 mins having run himself into the ground.

Legendary status for Mac!.........nah, can't do it.

and hence my precise point - Legend means something different to all of us.

I apply a somewhat different interpretation. I'm not claiming intellectual purity over you, but if I apply your definition strictly then I would come up with names like Steve Maclaren who always got substituted after about 65 mins having run himself into the ground.

Legendary status for Mac!.........nah, can't do it.

sadly, Steve's playing days were slightly before my time as a supporter.

Long live Gary Teale.

"He used to be *****, but now he's alright" still ranks amongst my favourite festive chants.

Pesch was my absolute favourite player at that time, hero.

Seth was 'special', he rarely gave anything less than 100% on the pitch, the odd 99% times were usually when he was carrying an injury but was played for what his presence brought to the team.

Over the years I've seen many players that I would call 'special' or 'legends'...........

Asanovic - Only played 42 [1 sub] games but what a player.

Baiano - Played 63 [12 subs] games, sublime.

Barrowcliffe - What a full back he was, 39 goals in 503 games.

Carlin - A terrier in black and white, he'd bite anyone's ankles.

Carter - Horatio, the name says it all.

Curry - A proper centre forward.

Daniel - Steady, reliable and a 100% Ram and very proud he is my second cousin.

Doherty - 17 goals in just 25 games, scored the first Rams goal I witnessed.

Duncan - One of my first heroes.

Durban - Our 'Welsh Wonder'.

Eranio - Exquisite skills and one of the nicest players I have had the honour of meeting.

Gabbiadini - 200 [27 subs] games producing much more than just 68 goals.

Hector - The King.

Hinton - Gladys could put his crosses on a sixpence.

Johnson - One of our best ever full backs.

Kinkladze - Moments of sheer genius.

Laursen - A rock of our defence with added skill.

Leuty - Our best ever centre half.

Mackay - The Field Marshall.

McFarland - Our 2nd best centre half.

McMinn - This Tin Man had a brain.

Mozley - Another great full back.

Parry - Jack was steadfast in 516 [1 sub] games, I attend games with his brother Glyn.

Poom - What a keeper, Pooooooooooooooooooommmm.

Robson - He knew how to defend.

Saunders - Deano knew how to provide as well as score goals.

Stamps - The wonderful, brave scorer of 126 Rams goals.

Steel - Wee Billy, a Tartan Magician.

Stimac - Our 3rd best centre half.

Straw - Ilson lad Ray scored 60 goals in 98 games.

Thomas - We new a good full back when we saw one.

Webster - Full back or wing half, Ron was impeccable.

There are many others I have admired over the years and I try to remember them rather than the dross which has been foisted upon us by managers, directors and owners, its not all been bad but when it was it was bloody awful.

;)

Todd - Mr Immaculate.

Gemmill - A Tartan Terror who was our midfield engine.

Always admired Seth Johnson, right from the start when he wouldn't sign for Derby till Crewe were safe from relegation. 

I remember what might well have been his first home game against Arsenal. We were ultimately outclassed but Johnson gave their midfield a hell of a game. 

I've talked to several fans who hold Ashley Ward and Daryl Powell in the same regard. Just out and out battlers whom the fans can relate to, players that set the standard for pure  guts and determination.

Bucko may actually go on to be the king of the cult heroes in that regard.

Ultimately I agree, legend is overused, but Seth Johnson's Rams career deserves the praise that many fans give it. 

Archived