Seth Johnson Derby legend

Bris Vegas

Did Glyn play pro football,Knabby? I saw Jack play in his declining years and instantly warmed to him and knew he was part of a footballing family. I can remember Ray (Blackpool and England?) and had heard of Glyn,but can't remember the others

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've had a thread like this before about the difference between club heroes and club legends. Seth Johnson is like Buxton in the hero category. A legend has to be someone who set records and achieved legendary things. A hero just has to put in heroic performances.

Just found the answer about Glyn myself - never knew he was once on our staff. Also didn't realise that brother Ray played for Bolton and England (though I suppose he may have moved to Blackpool when his England career was over?).Found a classic piece to illustrate Jack's wit. He got injured in a game,and Ralph Hann feared concussion,so asked him where he was :-

" I'm at Wembley,we're beating Brazil 2-0 and I've scored both".

Legend.

I more often than not like your posts Bris, but to say that Seth is a Derby legend......come on... glad you reprieved yourself by saying he was jsut a hardworking average midfielder.

Yep, they all get tapped up, all the time, i could never undersand all the fuss about Ashley Cole going to Chelsea, anyone who thinks it doesnt happen every single day is lliving in a dream world.

For the record, i think he would have been decent in the Scottish league, but another 8 million down the drain is all that Rangers need..!!

I think my ironic title got lost on you there buddy.

I certainly don't think he's Derby legend, far from it. But in many people's eyes, especially in the younger generation he is and as somebody mentioned, the word 'legend' gets thrown around way too much.

But I just find it funny for somebody who was held in such high esteem here, he's very much like any other player who chases the cash and rightly so I guess.

I wouldn't say he was desperate to leave, but his actions suggest he was easily persuaded by the cash - especially if he was tempted to leave us for Scotland.

Did Glyn play pro football,Knabby? I saw Jack play in his declining years and instantly warmed to him and knew he was part of a footballing family. I can remember Ray (Blackpool and England?) and had heard of Glyn,but can't remember the others

Glyn was on Derby's books and played for Derby Boys and England Boys, later he played for Belper Town, Heanor Town, Roe Farm Athletic and my Sunday team Olympiads Sports.

Ray played for Bolton and England, Cyril played for Notts County, Glyn always reckoned that the best footballer as a lad was the eldest brother Fred who joined the Navy.

We'll be there next season, analysing where Clement is going wrong and moaning at the Worm Worrier when he is studying the grass and the worms.

;)

Just found the answer about Glyn myself - never knew he was once on our staff. Also didn't realise that brother Ray played for Bolton and England (though I suppose he may have moved to Blackpool when his England career was over?).Found a classic piece to illustrate Jack's wit. He got injured in a game,and Ralph Hann feared concussion,so asked him where he was :-

" I'm at Wembley,we're beating Brazil 2-0 and I've scored both".

Legend.

Jack was sharp as a knife through butter in the dressing room and he always seemed to be the one who gave new players a nickname, when Ray Swallow arrived from Arsenal he decided that he was to be known as Bruce Blackbird, the name stuck whilst Ray was at DCFC.   Over the years I got to know a lot of the players from meeting them at the Trocadero on Saturday nights and having mutual female friends, the Bell Hotel on Sadler Gate was another place where they hung out and it was there I struck up friendships with Albert Mays, Ray Young, Mike Smith and Glyn Davies.

Happy days.

Glyn was on Derby's books and played for Derby Boys and England Boys, later he played for Belper Town, Heanor Town, Roe Farm Athletic and my Sunday team Olympiads Sports.

Ray played for Bolton and England, Cyril played for Notts County, Glyn always reckoned that the best footballer as a lad was the eldest brother Fred who joined the Navy.

We'll be there next season, analysing where Clement is going wrong and moaning at the Worm Worrier when he is studying the grass and the worms.

;)

I notice Ray joined Blackpool in 1960,not far off the time I started watching the Rams,and probably why I associated him with that club.Are many from that era still alive ? I'm sure I've heard Reg,Ronnie and Pete mentioned in recent years..

I've talked to several fans who hold Ashley Ward and Daryl Powell in the same regard. Just out and out battlers whom the fans can relate to, players that set the standard for pure  guts and determination.

Darryl Powell has to be one of my all time favourite players.  Took a lot of flak from the fans due to trying to do his job, as well as Kinkladze's and Burley's whilst they were hiding on the pitch.  Something he was plainly not up to, but at least he stepped up to the plate.

Ronnie Willems was another gem - if only he'd got a couple of extra yards of pace, he'd have been top class...

I notice Ray joined Blackpool in 1960,not far off the time I started watching the Rams,and probably why I associated him with that club.Are many from that era still alive ? I'm sure I've heard Reg,Ronnie and Pete mentioned in recent years..

Ray Parry died about 3 years ago, Mike Smith died about 2 years ago, I used to bump into Ray Young when shopping at Sainsburys, Kingsway but not seen him for a while, my old Derby School pal Dennis McQuillan died last year.   Glyn sometimes sees Reg Harrison when shopping in Derby and I think Pete Daniel is living in Derbyshire somewhere [Belper?].

We're all getting older and the Grim Reaper is on a constant lookout for any signs of weakness, reminds me, I must get some more garlic to hang round my neck!!

:ermm:

Ray Parry died about 3 years ago, Mike Smith died about 2 years ago, I used to bump into Ray Young when shopping at Sainsburys, Kingsway but not seen him for a while, my old Derby School pal Dennis McQuillan died last year.   Glyn sometimes sees Reg Harrison when shopping in Derby and I think Pete Daniel is living in Derbyshire somewhere [Belper?].

We're all getting older and the Grim Reaper is on a constant lookout for any signs of weakness, reminds me, I must get some more garlic to hang round my neck!!

Thanks for that Tony, cheered me right up. :(

Sorry, I'm putting it down to the weather and aching joints and the fact that I'm down to my last bottle of Cognac.

:(

This isn't helping. Last bottle of cognac? Tragic. :(

Thanks for info Knabby It was Reg Matthews I was really interested in. Is Jack still alive? 

He's always going to be remembered by me, i still remember that time (cant name the game, southampton 2nd leg i think?) where he runs into the ref, breaks two of his ribs and carries on, anyone else remember this

what a moment haha

im only 21 so i dont have many memories, but never going to forget the he's big/ he's black he'll break your f****** darren moore, stevie howard or peschisolido anytime soon!

Thanks for info Knabby It was Reg Matthews I was really interested in. Is Jack still alive? 

Yes, I saw him in Intu shopping with his wife about 6/7 weeks ago, he is starting to look a bit frail but is still in full control of his faculties and always has a little chat.

Reg Matthews died in Coventry on 6th October 2001.

He's always going to be remembered by me, i still remember that time (cant name the game, southampton 2nd leg i think?) where he runs into the ref, breaks two of his ribs and carries on, anyone else remember this

what a moment haha

im only 21 so i dont have many memories, but never going to forget the he's big/ he's black he'll break your f****** darren moore, stevie howard or peschisolido anytime soon!

Leeds at home, last game of the 06/07 season before the play offs

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/6602847.stm

The day Robbie Savage was called a legend for waving that scarf at the City Ground ruined the whole meaning behind the word legend.

If he's a legend so is every player to pull on a Derby shirt. 

Archived