Richard Keogh

Smiffy2491

Shackell? Berra? Coates (loan)? Some talented player PC knows from his time at Mardid? PSG? Chelsea? There's a lot of talent out there...

Shackell would be brought in to play on the left side I'd imagine and would likely partner Keogh rather than replace him. Keogh was voted ahead of Berra by his piers and there's very little chance Ipswich would sell to a promotion rival. Coates is signing for Sunderland very soon so no.

Are you one of those fans who just love to moan?

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because they know nothing and we clearly know more for watching them play for 90 minutes once a week

I think some of the people on this forum are in the wrong careers since they obviously have much more advanced football knowledge than people who are paid quite large sums of money for their knowledge...

ummmm. What choice did Mcclaren have last season? What was the alternative? Whitbread?:ph34r: and how can you even include Clement in that? When he's not even made ONE team sheet yet? 

Ummmmm back to you... McClaren had the choice to bring someone else in and decided not to... Also if you read my post it states "If Clement"... IF... IF... IF... Would you like that explaining any further? The meaning of IF maybe?

I don't know what people are talking about when they are saying Keogh isn't a leader as if you watch them in training he is clearly the leader of the group. Are people referring to style of play? From my experience and talking to the footballers I know they don't care who the captain is during the match, it doesn't make any different to how they play etc, do you think the captain telling someone "come on", "keep your head up" actually has any influence?

I cant actually believe what some people are posting on here, utter tosh.

I'm sorry but Keogh is genuinely is one of the best CB's in the championship without a doubt.

I still rate Manga,Shackell, Gibson,Kalas, Berra, Tommy Smith higher and that's off the top of my head but I think Keogh should stay

Shackell? Berra? Coates (loan)? Some talented player PC knows from his time at Mardid? PSG? Chelsea? There's a lot of talent out there...

So what you're actually saying is "I don't know who we can sign apart from either sub standard championship players, or maybe someone from the best teams in the world?"? Looks like you play too much Fifa or something pal.

So what you're act saying is "I don't know who we can sign apart from either sub standard championship players, or maybe someone from the best teams in the world?"? Looks like you play too much Fifa or something pal.

No not really actually. But those "sub standard players" could be the players that make a difference.. And because I suggest players from big clubs I'm automatically somebody one plays FIFA? Have you ever thought that they're the best teams in the world because they have the best eye for talent in there ranks? Was you calling McClaren a FIFA player when he brought in Ibe? Bamford? Mascarell? Wisdom? No I didn't think so.

I don't know what people are talking about when they are saying Keogh isn't a leader as if you watch them in training he is clearly the leader of the group. Are people referring to style of play? From my experience and talking to the footballers I know they don't care who the captain is during the match, it doesn't make any different to how they play etc, do you think the captain telling someone "come on", "keep your head up" actually has any influence?

My take on his leadership is that I don't see him organising and disciplining his fellow defenders enough.

I think he has all the attributes of a good defender except physical strength.

I would be more than happy if he stayed and played alongside a big partner.

However I like to see  a defence working as a solid unit, instinctively covering for each other and that takes a strong leader.

That's different to a popular one, which I suspect describes him.

Whether he stays captain under Clement is a bit of a misnomer - if a player is popular with the squad and is already captain it would take a brave (read: stupid) manager to come in and immediately remove and replace the captaincy, unless the player was being sold.

With Keogh's popularity on a personal basis amongst the squad I suppose we could move him to 'club captain' if we wanted to bring someone else in to the on-field role but it could create more problems than its worth in the dressing room. What I expect to happen this season is one of the signings (either Pearce, Baird or someone still to come) assumes a more authoritative role within the team, even without bein g named captain.

PS

Captaining Ireland in a friendly international against Oman as part of an experimental team is akin to captaining a 'Derby XI' side playing against Matlock Town, that's not really something to shout about, even if it is strictly speaking an achievement.

No not really actually. But those "sub standard players" could be the players that make a difference.. And because I suggest players from big clubs I'm automatically somebody one plays FIFA? Have you ever thought that they're the best teams in the world because they have the best eye for talent in there ranks? Was you calling McClaren a FIFA player when he brought in Ibe? Bamford? Mascarell? Wisdom? No I didn't think so.

But then the flip side of that argument is that if McClaren was able to bring in quality players then don't you think he may have thought that Keogh was already good enough?

He puts unnecessary pressure on Grant, young Christie, and his co CB. All with silly pressured passes. 

We need a no nonsense CB who's good in the air. Who can win a ball back and distribute it to wingers/Hughes/Martin. 

Don't you think he's playing passes like this because he's under instruction from the manager? The more technically difficult the pass, the greater the reward, but the more likely the chance of error.  And Keogh is actually pretty good at it for a player at his level.

You don't see the other centre backs doing this because they are presumably incapable or ceding responsibility by passing it to the defensive midfielder, full back or Keogh.  These passes do not yield the potential reward of carrying the ball forward and making a pass that pulls the opposition out of shape.

Yes, Keogh could ping long hopeful balls at Martin and the wingers, but it would result in loss of possession on a greater basis, ergo inviting additional pressure on to the defence - but he is taking the responsibility (sort of thing a captain might do?).

The centre back you are asking for is out of our price range and happily playing in the Premiership.  And the likes of an Igor Stimaç coming to Derby whilst in the 2nd Division are long gone.

Don't you think he's playing passes like this because he's under instruction from the manager? The more technically difficult the pass, the greater the reward, but the more likely the chance of error.  And Keogh is actually pretty good at it for a player at his level.

You don't see the other centre backs doing this because they are presumably incapable or ceding responsibility by passing it to the defensive midfielder, full back or Keogh.  These passes do not yield the potential reward of carrying the ball forward and making a pass that pulls the opposition out of shape.

Yes, Keogh could ping long hopeful balls at Martin and the wingers, but it would result in loss of possession on a greater basis, ergo inviting additional pressure on to the defence - but he is taking the responsibility (sort of thing a captain might do?).

The centre back you are asking for is out of our price range and happily playing in the Premiership.  And the likes of an Igor Stimaç coming to Derby whilst in the 2nd Division are long gone.

I thank you for starting the day with the word ceding.  It is a word rarely, if ever, used on this forum (certainly not the way of your spelling or meaning anyway) and I intend myself to use the word again today in my correspondence.  In fact given that today could be an exciting day we should all attempt to use "rarely seen" words in some of our postings.  I am obliged to you Maydrakin.

He is the galloping major, makes a 10 yard charge and then a 6 foot pass backwards, couldn't ping a door bell let alone a long pass, it's amazing how we can all have such diverse views of the same player, I for one see him as a weakness in our team and a very average player.

I don't care if people think Keogh is the worst person to ever walk the earth, just support him when he plays, don't constantly berate him and leave his poor wife alone on social media!!

The thing that really peed me off with some of our "fans". Keogh plays football for a living, and earns a decent wage. Media speculation, criticism, chants on a matchday etc., are all part of being a footballer professionally these days. His wife doesn't play football. In fact, I don't know a thing about her. Apart from the fact that she is married to our (current) skipper. Not a reason to berate her or try and get messages to Richard. Ridiculous behaviour.

And yet, kind of sums up a large percentage of twitter users mentality and purpose.

Archived