Richard Keogh

Smiffy2491

I always find he spends much of his time on his arse, he is too slow  - the opposition do find it easy just to knock the ball past him and run around him....

He does give the ball away too often [defenders should be able to pass the ball acurately], does get caught in possession too often, he can and is a liability and the problem is, it does rub off onto those around him.

Sometimes commitment is just not good enough, skill is more of a requirement.

We do really need somebody that can read the game better, spend less time on their arse and hopefully can pass a ball

you don't seem to appreciate that he his always an outlet for his defensive colleagues, so by him being there we maintain possession and don't end up with an aimless punt in the direction of our centre forward.  If there is no pass, Christie and Buxton can go back to Keogh and he picks out another option.

If you'd prefer Darren Moore to just clog it up every time, then great.  Just don't expect to watch good passing football.

You should have a look at how many goal scoring chances start at the feet of Keogh.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always find he spends much of his time on his arse, he is too slow  - the opposition do find it easy just to knock the ball past him and run around him....

He does give the ball away too often [defenders should be able to pass the ball acurately], does get caught in possession too often, he can and is a liability and the problem is, it does rub off onto those around him.

We do really need somebody that can read the game better, spend less time on their arse and hopefully can pass a ball

I agree that he sometimes goes to ground too easily but the other criticism surprises me.

I don't think he is slow for a CB, he is a good tackler and his passing is pretty accurate. He does look like he is a bit uncoordinated and awkward getting his feet in position to pass the ball but the fact remains his peers voted him into the team of the year.

His key strength is in intercepting passes.

I'd have him in for the start of the season, see how he fares alongside a new partner and take the captaincy off him.

Buxton cost us wembley..gave ball away to llow their only attack of last 30minutes hitting a Hollywood pass.....that got nowhere near its man,

Buxton tackled, or rather did nt tackle, like a fairy by the by line. Admittedly he never panicked, nor made a "last ditch" tackle so hated by most derby fans

after these simple, un pressured errors...keogh then made a mistake and did not sweep,up and tidy up Bucko's errors.......which you and many many others forget about

i have no beef with Bucko, very solid player.  I detest the biased simplistic view that Keogh fuked up.

anyway, in interests of debate...name the keogh errors that cost us games. (Chelsea had a big Bucko error in it.......the keogh error occurs after Omar screwed up bigtime.....keogh won the ball back in a tackle but the tackle sent the ball straight to Fabregas....Bucko then failed to make a challenge and our midfield were slow coming back as Omar should have given grant the ball to clear down field which is where our midfielders were heading.......

don't let facts get in the way of you getting rid of our best defender and captain

watch it back again. I'm sure fozzy made a gaff before either bucko or Keogh did.

watch it back again. I'm sure fozzy made a gaff before either bucko or Keogh did.

I'm quoting in general Dav.... Not because of what you said.... Does anyone think West Brom fans blame particular player/s for the goal they conceded against us?

Probably not they got over it.... It's been done to death.... I can't believe we still argue over whose fault it was.

And this is the main thing they want to beat certain players with they have a agenda/grudge against....

We lost people! GET OVER IT!!!! 

I agree that he sometimes goes to ground too easily but the other criticism surprises me.

I don't think he is slow for a CB, he is a good tackler and his passing is pretty accurate. He does look like he is a bit uncoordinated and awkward getting his feet in position to pass the ball but the fact remains his peers voted him into the team of the year.

His key strength is in intercepting passes.

I'd have him in for the start of the season, see how he fares alongside a new partner and take the captaincy off him.

agree about Keogh being a mobile centre back who can tackle and pass. IMO his weakness is strength when the ball is in the air. A number of times last season, we played a team with a tall and/or strong centre forward who matched up against Keogh for aerial balls. I'm sure Keogh lost a majority in every one of those games. Bucko has shown he can come across and fearlessly fly in to put pressure on, and Albentosa should be able to do similar, but Keogh doesn't seem to apply sufficient pressure on the attacker to stop them winning it and starting an attack.

I'm quoting in general Dav.... Not because of what you said.... Does anyone think West Brom fans blame particular player/s for the goal they conceded against us?

Probably not they got over it.... It's been done to death.... I can't believe we still argue over whose fault it was.

And this is the main thing they want to beat certain players with they have a agenda/grudge against....

We lost people! GET OVER IT!!!! 

I blame MafiaBob.  We had just got a grip of the game, when Mafia went and said "no way we are going to lose this game", and put a monkey on it with Ladbrokes on his online account.

agree about Keogh being a mobile centre back who can tackle and pass. IMO his weakness is strength when the ball is in the air. A number of times last season, we played a team with a tall and/or strong centre forward who matched up against Keogh for aerial balls. I'm sure Keogh lost a majority in every one of those games. Bucko has shown he can come across and fearlessly fly in to put pressure on, and Albentosa should be able to do similar, but Keogh doesn't seem to apply sufficient pressure on the attacker to stop them winning it and starting an attack.

Yes - you're right. He's too light for a CB. Muscular players use their weight against him.

That's why he needs to take the quick one and the lump (whoever that should be) takes the big guy.

I blame MafiaBob.  We had just got a grip of the game, when Mafia went and said "no way we are going to lose this game", and put a monkey on it with Ladbrokes on his online account.

*still bouncing off walls now* 

Layed QPR at 999/1 at that moment on  Betfair :ph34r:

It's statements like this that make people think you're talking out of your arse.

Of CBs that played more than 2500 minutes of Championship football last season:

Player                                   Lost Possession PG         Ball Recovery PG            Touches         Minutes

Richard Keogh                              8.49                                  4.16                              65                4005
Bruno Manga                                8.55                                  6.59                              50                2610
Richard Stearman                           9                                     5.02                              53                3502
Michael Mancienne                       9.31                                  4.39                              55                3100
Lewis Dunk                                   9.34                                  7.24                              69                3346
Alex Pearce                                  9.35                                   4.4                                40                3489
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dorian Dervite                              16.3                                   3.97                              60                3195
Michael Hector                            17.73                                  8.15                              61                3621
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jake Buxton                                 6.84                                   3.63                              55                1613

Buxton and Keogh together lose the ball less times per game than the two most guilty of it in the division alone. I'm guessing people are spoilt in this regard with Buxton and expect everyone else to be at that standard. 

When I came away from Wembley, my eldest asked me what we needed to do to get promotion again. I gave him two answers.

1. keep the main squad together

2. Get replacements for Ke-ouch and Fozzy

Two great, genuine and committed Guys but lacking the level needed in the prem; -  two many mis-placed passes and  inadequate clearances.

I would have thought of failure to score against 10 men might have been part of the problem.

I have to say I am sick to death of all the criticism that Keogh receives . If he reads the rubbish written on here he would run up Sunderland or any other club that is more appreciative of his efforts and skills.

every game I here people slating him and giving him stick, I have to wonder if they have ever played football or have only ever played netball or gone fishing!!

Keogh may well mistakes, actually not that many, he gives 100% and has to cover for what has been a woefully inadequate defence.

I for one hope he stays, plays in an improved defensive line up and gets some better recognition that he definitely deserves.

He is our Captain and we should be 100% behind him and the team

If you can do nothing but moan go watch the **** down the road where you certainly will have something to moan about

this is it i actually think people who slate keogh are missing a few brain cells, never played a team sport or are so sad in their lives.

Keogh and Bucko are good Championship defenders, but I can't see either being Premier League quality, particularly Keogh. That's why I'd like to sell Keogh in the summer, can't see his value getting much higher after a TOTY appearance, however undeserved it is.

It's statements like this that make people think you're talking out of your arse.

Of CBs that played more than 2500 minutes of Championship football last season:

Player                                   Lost Possession PG         Ball Recovery PG            Touches         Minutes

Richard Keogh                              8.49                                  4.16                              65                4005
Bruno Manga                                8.55                                  6.59                              50                2610
Richard Stearman                           9                                     5.02                              53                3502
Michael Mancienne                       9.31                                  4.39                              55                3100
Lewis Dunk                                   9.34                                  7.24                              69                3346
Alex Pearce                                  9.35                                   4.4                                40                3489
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dorian Dervite                              16.3                                   3.97                              60                3195
Michael Hector                            17.73                                  8.15                              61                3621
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jake Buxton                                 6.84                                   3.63                              55                1613

Buxton and Keogh together lose the ball less times per game than the two most guilty of it in the division alone. I'm guessing people are spoilt in this regard with Buxton and expect everyone else to be at that standard. 

Yeah, stats don't you just love em,

Against Reading, we had 63%  possession - we all know what happened

Against Millwall we had 56%  possession - we all know what happened

Against Huddlesfield we had 56%  possession - we all know what happened

Against Wolves we had 60% possession - we all know what happened

Against Boro we had 59% possession - we all know what happened

Stats, yes meaningless rubbish.

Nope, team possession stats are often meaningless rubbish. @Ambitious was providing individual player stats that are actually pretty useful, especially in this case to reject your ridiculous allegation of Keogh giving the ball away loads. 

No offence, but are you really so stupid that you can't see the difference between the crude stats you put above and the advanced stats you just saw on centre-halves in possession? 

Your point was that he gives the ball away too often, which I proved he doesn't do. 

If you think stats are meaningless rubbish then that's your own opinion. I use them to back up my own opinions as it gives it more foundation than 'I seens it with me own eyes' that some people live and die by. 

Archived