Moor Farm Academy

uttoxram75

Instead of losing this in the Mel Morris thread i thought i'd start a discussion on the Moor Farm complex.

Its f*****g brilliant.

Its a Category 1 facility putting it in the top 12 for the country. The purpose built swimming/rehab room is on a par with St.George's Park.

There is a newly laid pitch that is the exact replica of the i-Pro playing surface plus a full size synthetic all weather pitch.

Lorries and diggers were busy building another four pitches....

There's some serious money being invested in the whole training and academy set up, even to the point of building 200 seater stands for parents and family to come and watch their kids at under 8 level all the way through to the first team squad.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just finished reading the second secret footballer book whilst lying by the pool, he has section about St George's park saying that the people who work there hate it cos it was designed by an architect and not by the coaches and physios that are expected to work there. There was no thought to the layout meaning staff couldn't keep an eye on more than one player at a time. 

I would guess that our facility is much better than the national one.  

A lot has been said about once we get to the premiership, we will be looking to stay there. Everything is falling into place,we always had excellent facilities but they've been upgraded to some of the best. Great to see. When Sammon came back from his loan spell, he said it felt like he'd been gone for 2 or 3 years after seeing the new developments on the training ground

What, precisely, is a replica iPro pitch? Isn't any old pitch with the same dimensions a replica? 

No the pitch at the ipro is a different type of grass, until now no pitch at Moor Farm has been sown from the same strain, with the same dimensions. This is an exact replica, eventually to be replaced at both venues with a semi synthetic pitch, a la Bournemouth. Time constraints have ruled this out this season, but in future that's what we'll move to.

What, precisely, is a replica iPro pitch? Isn't any old pitch with the same dimensions a replica? 

No, the playing surface can vary from pitch to pitch so they've replicated the i-Pro exactly, much like the replica Wembley surface at St. George's Park.

I've just finished reading the second secret footballer book whilst lying by the pool, he has section about St George's park saying that the people who work there hate it cos it was designed by an architect and not by the coaches and physios that are expected to work there. There was no thought to the layout meaning staff couldn't keep an eye on more than one player at a time. 

I would guess that our facility is much better than the national one.  

I can tell you that the Spire physio's speak quite positively about the facility. 

Instead of losing this in the Mel Morris thread i thought i'd start a discussion on the Moor Farm complex.

Its f*****g brilliant.

Its a Category 1 facility putting it in the top 12 for the country. The purpose built swimming/rehab room is on a par with St.George's Park.

There is a newly laid pitch that is the exact replica of the i-Pro playing surface plus a full size synthetic all weather pitch.

Lorries and diggers were busy building another four pitches....

There's some serious money being invested in the whole training and academy set up, even to the point of building 200 seater stands for parents and family to come and watch their kids at under 8 level all the way through to the first team squad.

AND money spent on the academy/ training facilities doesn't count towards the FFP for all you worriers. 

The club have had to jump through hoops to acheive Cat 1. The big boys don't want too many clubs in this bracket so they can cherry pick the best youngsters on the cheap.

Its a bold and forward thinking move by the club imo. Short term, you could argue the money should be thrown at the first team but long term, it will leave the club in a far better sustainable situation. 

I'm a great believer in having the very best training facilities and having played myself in the Middle East, where the pitches, dressing rooms and fitness centres were 'second-to-none', it totally ensures you get the best out of your players.

Derby County must continue to enhance their Academy, not only for their present staff but also for the future, because if you achieve in getting two younger players to get to first team level every year then it will save millions in transfer fee's, or alternatively ensure the club receive a good fee when selling such player.

2x 200 seater stands are going up.

Replica pitch is floodlit

New 5 a side pitch in black, huge Ram on.

3x swimming lanes with underwater cameras, current for them to swim against. Also built higher to allow coaches to walk along side the player.

TV's everywhere so no neck strain injuries whilst trying to watch Jeremy Kyle in the cold tub.

Had a cheeky look in the kit room saw the away kit.....didn't really. By the way colour hasn't been decided yet.

Oh you can't go 30 seconds without seeing a Ram, you wouldn't forget what club you were at, on doors, floors, signs even on the weights. 

3x swimming lanes with underwater cameras, current for them to swim against. Also built higher to allow coaches to walk along side the player.

TV's everywhere so no neck strain injuries whilst trying to watch Jeremy Kyle in the cold tub.

Had a cheeky look in the kit room saw the away kit.....didn't really. By the way colour hasn't been decided yet.

Oh you can't go 30 seconds without seeing a Ram, you wouldn't forget what club you were at, on doors, floors, signs even on the weights. 

I wonder if they would be up for doing a fans comp like back in the 90's to decide kits?

The club have had to jump through hoops to acheive Cat 1. The big boys don't want too many clubs in this bracket so they can cherry pick the best youngsters on the cheap.

Its a bold and forward thinking move by the club imo. Short term, you could argue the money should be thrown at the first team but long term, it will leave the club in a far better sustainable situation. 

Why are Leicester a Cat 1 academy as their facilities aren't any where near as good as ours and that was before we did the extra work with the Hydro pool etc

Isnt the 5 aside pitch they are building actually a futsal pitch?

Isnt the 5 aside pitch they are building actually a futsal pitch?

Didn't get down to see that pitch, could only see from a distance, definitely said 5 a side, I'm sure he did....one of the others may correct me tho

Archived