19 years ago WTF !!!

loweman2

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're getting old. Slippery slope mate.

Are you at the "complaining all music sounds the same and you can't hear the words" stage or "the first thing you do when entering a pub is look for somewhere to sit down" stage?.

Very fond memories of Euro 96. Watching games in the village pub with mates & then getting to watch Stimac & Asanovic for Croatia vs Norway at Hillsborough. Happy days.

The euro 96 championships were great in so many ways, it started off slowly with a draw with Switzerland, the press was full of how poor we were and the all time classic football anthem was just beginning to gather momentum, I agree with hantsram that the demolition of Holland was my all time favourite England match, also beating Spain on penalties and psychos clenched fist, it didn't matter that he was forest captain in that moment he was a true full blooded Englishman !!,

I was mid 20s at that time so each match was all about getting tanked up and shouting, shouting very loudly and everybody in the pub singing its coming home or shearer, shearer, shaearer, !!

on top of that it was a glorious few weeks weather wise, flags were everywhere and the spirit of the country was lifted as one !! very happy days !!!

thinking about it that was the last time I enjoyed watching an England game other than the 5-1 demolition of Germany,

football definitely came home in those few weeks !!

Spare a thought for those born in 1997 who never really saw a good tournament <_<

I spare a thought for those who didn't see the 1966 world cup final. Now THAT was a good day.

I remember being on a training course in Birmingham during the tournament. I walked into New Street to get my train home and was met by an unexpected sea of orange as hundreds of Netherlands supporters swept through the station. One of those truly surreal moments that stay with you forever

97? And I thought I was young.

If it makes you feel any better, I was born in 92 and don't remember anything.

​haha good point.

I spare a thought for those who didn't see the 1966 world cup final. Now THAT was a good day.

​Don't rub it in will you :( next youll be saying you saw the FA cup triumph ;)

Strangely I was going to the football a lot back then but don't remember anything from Euro 96. My first international tournament i can remember was the 98 world Cup in France. Mainly because I had the mascot pencil case, bag and lunch box

God I was cool.

futix.png

​I still have a cuddly Footix ("WE love that mascot") and it STILL sings "Olé olé, alléz France" when I can be bothered to put batteries in it.

And this is why I say Country before Club.....

You can see Derby get promoted etc and win big games now and again....

I want that moment when England win the World Cup/Euros.... Like a way were you when that happened kind of moment....

Envious Eddie.... Very much so

What a day that Eng v Sco game was. Lots of media reports about possible trouble. We went to trafalger square in the morning and the fans were mixing no problem.

The first half was boring but venables brought on Redknapp which changed the game.

We went from the high of getting that penalty to the low of Gazza's goal in what seemed like 2 minutes.

The rest of the game was listening to the crowd sing "footballs coming home".

Shed load of trouble in central london as various firms who were spending the day in london bars started to pick off Scotland fans. We were advised by CID to go home, which for the night was wimbledon.

Off we headed to Birmingham for the Swiss game.

For some reason the Zulu warriors all had a meet up in central bham and started to cause a riot with anyone and everyone who was interested in fighting.

Birmingham was brilliant, canal street on the day of the game was fantastic.

Shame about Seaman letting Kliverts shot through his legs. That goal knocked us out.

We had a blast in England for those 2 weeks. Its a crying shame no tournament has been here since. 

Mind you, id hate the whole corporate culture, ticket prices and ticket scramble which any future tournament would undoubtedly be.

God, Im getting old.....

Strangely I was going to the football a lot back then but don't remember anything from Euro 96. My first international tournament i can remember was the 98 world Cup in France. Mainly because I had the mascot pencil case, bag and lunch box

God I was cool.

futix.png

I was 8 in 96. Had this lunch bag in 98

Archived