New goalkeeper

oldtimeram

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​what a silly response

Grant suffered from a crisis of confidence towards the end of the season, exacerbated by the same crisis of confidence 20 yards in front of him. He showed earlier in the season what he can do and so that's why I hope a new coach & clean slate will be good for all of the defence. No need to get rid IMO.

​doesn't bode well for the prem though does it.  When we get promoted his confidence will be challenged like never beofre

not disputing that really, just that I need to see him have an impressive season to feel that he has any longer term future with us

​I'm with you there. Let's face it, they all need to have an impressive season for all of our sakes!.

If Frank Fielding or Roy Carroll or Lee Camp made the mistakes that Grant did, they would get slaughtered.

i think he was a decent keeper but for some reason he went absolutely doo-lally. Who knows which Lee Grant will turn up this season. I fear the latter. Unfortunately i don't think we can risk another season of this.

His technique is dreadful. 

If Frank Fielding or Roy Carroll or Lee Camp made the mistakes that Grant did, they would get slaughtered.

i think he was a decent keeper but for some reason he went absolutely doo-lally. Who knows which Lee Grant will turn up this season. I fear the latter. Unfortunately i don't think we can risk another season of this.

Dont show this to Eddie. 

He's pretty gash of we need to move fwd.

​doesn't bode well for the prem though does it.  When we get promoted his confidence will be challenged like never beofre

​Not at all.

People need to stop preparing for the premier league. This is the 3rd or 4th reference I have seen in recent days about transfer targets not being good enough for the premier league.

Arthur Cox and Lionel Pickering prepared for the premier league with Short, Gabbiadini, Kitson, Johnson et al and it all went wrong. 

We need a team to get out of this division. Boding well for the premier league is neither here nor there.

Am I in the minority thinking we need a new goalkeeper?  Any suggestions as to who we should be going for and are there any whispers coming from within the club regarding a replacement for Coco?

​There certainly are others that agree with you, however I can't class myself as one of them.

Grant made a couple of errors when the team was playing poorly. For the remainder of his time with us, he has been excellent. He's certainly good enough for the Championship so do we really need another keeper?

​Grant did get slaughtered...

He underperformed when the rest of the team underperformed, no shame in that and also no reason as to why he won't return to his normal self.

Performances like this were in the minority for Grant, the other 95% of the time he was absolutely outstanding, as McClaren often recognised, praising him for his match winning saves.

It takes a hell of a selective memory to call for his head based on a couple of errors considering just how good he'd been up to that point.

If we dropped players as soon as they made an error, we'd need 11 new players for this season. Instead of criticising him why not back him to return better than ever next season because we've all seen he's more than capable of being a top keeper in this division!

Keepers are expected to make saves, even good ones heaven forbid. Grant made a catalogue of errors during last season both with his kicking, general distribution & punching that make me worry a lot about his basic reliability. If he stays he needs to up his game dramatically in terms of being solid. If he is replaced by someone better.........great!

What would I personally do? Cheerio Lee.

Karl Darlow on loan - that should brighten this place up ;)

In all seriousness, though, unless we're going to shell out on a keeper then why bother. I'm not adverse to seeing a new one come in but there isn't many in the Championship I'd have over Grant.

It's going to be an extremely costly position to improve on - especially if people want experience. I've heard rave reviews over Southend's keeper, maybe he's worth the gamble?

Otherwise I think we're looking at a transfer fee of £3m upwards and wages of £15k upwards.

It will be interesting to see Troy if Paul Clement selects him firstly as a first choice centre back and secondly as captain. If he does he joins the following list of Coco the clown admirers.:

1. Selected by Nigel Clough as first choice centre back plus captain.

2. Selected by Steve McClaren as first choice centre back and captain.

3. Selected by Trapattoni for Ireland as second/first choice centre back. Captain once.

4. Selected by Martin O'Neil as second choice centre back for Ireland.

5. Selected in players championship team of the season 14/15.

It will be interesting to see Troy if Paul Clement selects him firstly as a first choice centre back and secondly as captain. If he does he joins the following list of Coco the clown admirers.:

1. Selected by Nigel Clough as first choice centre back plus captain.

2. Selected by Steve McClaren as first choice centre back and captain.

3. Selected by Trapattoni for Ireland as second/first choice centre back. Captain once.

4. Selected by Martin O'Neil as second choice centre back for Ireland.

5. Selected in players championship team of the season 14/15.

1. Clough was crap. 

2. SM defence cost us promotion.

3. Ireland are ****. 

5. As above. 

6. A team of the year so mental that it didn't even include the already crowned player of the season. 

Archived