New goalkeeper

oldtimeram

​Grant did get slaughtered...

He underperformed when the rest of the team underperformed, no shame in that and also no reason as to why he won't return to his normal self.

Performances like this were in the minority for Grant, the other 95% of the time he was absolutely outstanding, as McClaren often recognised, praising him for his match winning saves.

It takes a hell of a selective memory to call for his head based on a couple of errors considering just how good he'd been up to that point.

If we dropped players as soon as they made an error, we'd need 11 new players for this season. Instead of criticising him why not back him to return better than ever next season because we've all seen he's more than capable of being a top keeper in this division!

I beg to differ. i no longer have faith in him. I particularly don't trust him on corners and crosses. He seems to make bad decisions.

But i genuinely don't understand why you over compensate by saying the stuff in bold. 

Anyway hey ho.

You are correct to id Daniel Bentley as an up and coming prospect. I believe that Southend were looking for a big fee, otherwise he would have moved by now.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone who wants us to actively replace grant as a Gk is blighted with an incredibly short and extremely selective memory process

​That's presuming that they've thought Grant was good in the past, I've always thought he was average. If the opportunity arises to bring in a top class keeper like Butland then I'm all for it but I'm not too fussed if not. 

​That's presuming that they've thought Grant was good in the past, I've always thought he was average. If the opportunity arises to bring in a top class keeper like Butland then I'm all for it but I'm not too fussed if not. 

​oh, im all for bringing in better quality if there is available in any position, im more directing towards the people who think grant isn't good enough and that if hes inbetween the sticks at the start of next season then you can blow away promotion 

Scott Carson is a possibility / probability / certainty / going to sign. I think that covered most of the bases :-)

​It has also been mooted that Eric Steele wanted McClaren to drop Grant towards the end of last season but SM wouldn't go with it.

​Is he no good then?

​Tbh I didn't see him play much for Wigan last season (although seen him play many times before for other teams) but from what I can gather he is a decent enough championship level keeper however I feel Grant is slightly better and Roos has the potential to be much better in the future. However I'm not gonna complain about it cos as long his wages are low, a free's a free!

Archived