Johnny Russell

DCFC1388

"So if we get any offer from Cardiff anywhere near the £ 2.5 million, we should grab it - especially for a squad player!"

How do you know he'll only be a squad player? You keep saying let Clement make the decisions but then tell us how big a role Russell will play for us. Make your mind up, is it you making the decisions or is it Clement?

"Oh I hear you say but he has had a great pre season, yep probably won,t play any better in the coming season"

Again, how do you know? Have you recently become a fortune teller?

"but he will now be playing against better opposition"

I doubt we'll play anyone in the Championship who are as good as Villarreal or Utrecht

"making some assistsassists and scoring very few goals"

As long as the other players like Martin, Ince, Weimann and Bent are banging in the goalsgoals I couldn't care less if he only gets assistsassists and fewer goalsgoals than the others. Stats don't mean everything, if they did Hughes shouldn't even make our bench.

"£2.5 millon for a mid championships player is good business."

It would be very poor business to sell Russell to a league rival 5 days before the season starts leaving us with barely any wingers.

Again, how do you know?

Going on previous seasons.

I doubt we'll play anyone in the Championship who are as good as Villarreal or Utrecht?

Granted Villarreal decent, but come on Utrecht, Grimsby, Northampton....

As long as the other players like Martin, Ince, Weimann and Bent are banging in the goalsgoals I couldn't care less if he only gets assistsassists and fewer goalsgoals than the others. Stats don't mean everything......

Obviously if Martin, Ince, Weimann and Bent are scoring, then he will not get a game, PC will not put a player in that only produces a goal every 6 games or so, when others you mention do...

You are forgetting JR is only a squad player, not too sure he will feature in PC's staring 11 barring injuries of course.

As I said along time ago 17 goals from 87 starts for a forward is very poor, - JR is a good championship player, not a great championship player.

JR is not another Tom Ince - Please remove your glasses!

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, how do you know?

I doubt we'll play anyone in the Championship who are as good as Villarreal or Utrecht?

As long as the other players like Martin, Ince, Weimann and Bent are banging in the goalsgoals I couldn't care less if he only gets assistsassists and fewer goalsgoals than the others. Stats don't mean everything......

Obviously if Martin, Ince, Weimann and Bent are scoring, then he will not get a game, PC will not put a player in that only produces a goal every 6 games or so, when others you mention do...

You are forgetting JR is only a squad player, not too sure he will feature in PC's staring 11 barring injuries of course.

As I said along time ago 17 goals from 87 starts for a forward is very poor, - JR is a good championship player, not a great championship player.

Goals and assists would give a better reflection statistically of his impact on the team, rather than just goals. The only position on the pitch where it is acceptable to judge a player purely on goals is a striker...

Again, how do you know?

You're so difficult to converse with :lol:

You can't say let Clement decide how important Russell is and let Clement decide whether to sell him or not and then you tell us he's only a squad player. And stop trying to compare Ince and Russell, we all know Ince is the better player, but both have completely different styles. Ince will always try to cut in and get the shot off, hence him only getting one assist last season. Russell will try and put a cross in, hence him getting more assists than goals last season.

You've been asked this plenty of times before but I'll ask again. If you are so keen on doing Clement's job for him, who should we sign as a replacement for Russell? If Russell is only a squad player then obviously we aren't going to replace him with someone expensive just to sit on the bench, so who should we get?

I'm not in favour of getting rid of Johnny Russell but what's with the 'who would we replace him with for £2.5 million for'. Well going back 2 years we could have replaced him with Johnny Russell from Dundee for £750,000. Is it so unthinkable that a similar player for a similar amount of money might exist somewhere on planet Earth? We do have scouts you know. Apparently.

Granted Villarreal decent, but come on Utrecht

Seeing as people have  taken exception to everything else you've said in this post (rightly) I'll take exception to this.

If Utrecht were playing in the championship next season they would be in the same range of betting odds as Derby/Hull/Boro etc. so in the majority of games Russell is not going to be playing against better opposition than them.

They are Dutch top division, and while granted they're only mid-table in that league, it wouldn't take much for the majority of Championship teams to get relegated from that league if they played there,

I'm not in favour of getting rid of Johnny Russell but what's with the 'who would we replace him with for £2.5 million for'. Well going back 2 years we could have replaced him with Johnny Russell from Dundee for £750,000. Is it so unthinkable that a similar player for a similar amount of money might exist somewhere on planet Earth? We do have scouts you know. Apparently.

I'm not suggesting we couldn't find better for £2.5 million, but super rams seems to know what role Russell plays in our squad, how much we'd accept for him and that he's destined to have a poor season, so I'd like to know who he thinks we should replace him with.

I'm not suggesting we couldn't find better for £2.5 million, but super rams seems to know what role Russell plays in our squad, how much we'd accept for him and that he's destined to have a poor season, so I'd like to know who he thinks we should replace him with.

Well without reading the whole thread  again I agree with you that he's a good player who could have an important role to play this season as like Weimann he fits the bill of being quite versatile. But at the same time, £2.5 mill is a significant return on the investment and it's not super Rams' job to replace him. That's for Chris Evans and that dossier of his.

We've arguably improved the first team by signing, certainly Ince and possibly Weimann so there is some logic to selling players who aren't guaranteed starters for 3 times what you paid for them. It's exactly the same situation with Keogh, another player I really want to stay. But it's not our money.

Edit - whether 2.5 mill is on the cards or not I've got no idea 

I'm yet to see any evidence that super rams is anything other than a WUM.

Again, how do you know?

Let me introduce you to 2 concepts you are obviously unfamiliar with:

1) A player can IMPROVE... What happens is... One season they are at one level... the next they get (wait for it) BETTER... This could happen with Russel... Seems quite likely in fact as it's happened to a lot of his team mates... we have a good coaching staff and great facilities... plus he has the incentive of needing to step up to keep his place...

2) Maybe he fit's PC's formations/style of play etc BETTER than he did under Smacca's reign? Guess what... Again we have NO idea whether this is the case or not until AFTER we've actually seen them play it!

Will he be in the starting 11 for Bolton?

Will he be ahead of Ince in the pecking order?

Will he score more goals than last season?

Is he actually worth more than £2.5 million?

It does seem some on here have rose tinted classes on, they see a player that is actually better than his stats says he is.

no but clement has said its a squad game and you don't listen and have a thing against him and seem to know it all so we can therefore think you are a wind up .please give us the information to think otherwise . or perhaps shut up.

Move along everyone Super rams is nothing but a wum and/ or a red dog. Russell offers more than just goalscoring and assisting. His pure tenacity and hardwork can make opposition defenders make mistakes because they know that they won't have much time on the ball when against Russell. This can  have a positive effect on the rest of our team because it will make them naturally work harder when they see a team mate  grafting.Finally this can help our defenders because they know that Russell will make their lives easier as he leads from the front with the high press.

Will he be in the starting 11 for Bolton?

Will he be ahead of Ince in the pecking order?

Will he score more goals than last season?

Is he actually worth more than £2.5 million?

It does seem some on here have rose tinted classes on, they see a player that is actually better than his stats says he is.

We will need more than the starting 11 if we want to get promoted. No doubt that there will be injuries and Russell is versatile so can play a number of positions.

Tricky one for Paul Clement because Ince and Martin do not seem up to speed yet.  it is vital that Ince is played where he can do what he did last year. If Russell is so good in the last 30 mins then why not start him and substitute him at half time?

Well without reading the whole thread  again I agree with you that he's a good player who could have an important role to play this season as like Weimann he fits the bill of being quite versatile. But at the same time, £2.5 mill is a significant return on the investment and it's not super Rams' job to replace him. That's for Chris Evans and that dossier of his.

We've arguably improved the first team by signing, certainly Ince and possibly Weimann so there is some logic to selling players who aren't guaranteed starters for 3 times what you paid for them. It's exactly the same situation with Keogh, another player I really want to stay. But it's not our money.

Edit - whether 2.5 mill is on the cards or not I've got no idea 

The return on investment on players is irrelevant though. It doesn't matter that Russell is now worth 3 times what we paid for him and certainly shouldn't be grounds for cashing in and making a profit on him. 

What matters is how much a superior replacement would cost and how they fit into the squad. 

Someone who buys and sells players entirely dependent on their stats is someone who's head is very much stuck in Football Manager. In the real world, the numbers they generate for "generic" numbers (Goals, assists etc.) are just not as important as people think.

Someone has to be getting them, sure, but we are. I'd rather have a team that scored 100 goals, with 20 players getting 5 each in a season, than a team scoring 50 goals with one player getting 45 of them.

Russell is clearly important to the staff and players off the field, he's important to everyone who looks beyond the numbers on the field. 2.5m isn't even close to my valuation of him.

Now as @StringerBell said earlier, it's not impossible to replace him, but why create the situation where we need to. We don't need the money.

Archived