Sepp Blatter Resigns

-JW-

Jordan still has an elected prime minister and a king. The guy in Fifa in a prince. They have the same system as it's song that it was a British, and still is, a protectorate. 

​I didn't mean Jordan itself (though it is not really the same system). I meant the man himself. He's a prince. How is that good for world football?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He wasn't taking questions very well the other day was he. Look rattled for once. And this is the guy that was booed by the whole ground in the Champions League final and smiled and waved as if they were all his adoring fans.

Good riddance to the complete idiot. Hope he drags a load down with him. 

I'm going to bet at this stage that the 2018 World Cup will be unaffected - and that the 2022 World Cup won't be.

Whatever has happened behind the scenes, at this point my guess would be that with the revelations about the US DoJ indictments coming out so close to the election, the best move for Blatter would be to win, let the dust settle, then resign to give them time to pick the replacement that his faction want. Keep well in mind that the talk is of a December 15 to March 16 election date, so there's still a long way to go. The problems FIFA face aren't going to be fixed by simply removing Blatter, they are likely deeper ingrained, and I think it's naive to think that Blatter is the centre of them or that everything he did or will do with FIFA was a bad thing. 

I'd also be cautious with Platini's faction as well. I don't see any reason to see them as any more trustworthy, and to my knowledge Platini was openly in support of Qatar 22. I don't know, this just looks like the kind of situation where it's going to get worse before it gets better. You rarely see an allegedly "corrupt" organisation or system fixed by simply removing the leader, and in many cases such action makes things orders of magnitude worse, as the power vacuum can let even worse types seize control. 

He wasn't taking questions very well the other day was he. Look rattled for once. And this is the guy that was booed by the whole ground in the Champions League final and smiled and waved as if they were all his adoring fans.

Good riddance to the complete idiot. Hope he drags a load down with him. 

​Got booed at the Asian Cup final as well. Quite a booing too, though that may well have been out of frustration from the crowd that they didn't get a chance to boo Tony Abbott too. 

Whatever has happened behind the scenes, at this point my guess would be that with the revelations about the US DoJ indictments coming out so close to the election, the best move for Blatter would be to win, let the dust settle, then resign to give them time to pick the replacement that his faction want. Keep well in mind that the talk is of a December 15 to March 16 election date, so there's still a long way to go. The problems FIFA face aren't going to be fixed by simply removing Blatter, they are likely deeper ingrained, and I think it's naive to think that Blatter is the centre of them or that everything he did or will do with FIFA was a bad thing. 

I'd also be cautious with Platini's faction as well. I don't see any reason to see them as any more trustworthy, and to my knowledge Platini was openly in support of Qatar 22. I don't know, this just looks like the kind of situation where it's going to get worse before it gets better. You rarely see an allegedly "corrupt" organisation or system fixed by simply removing the leader, and in many cases such action makes things orders of magnitude worse, as the power vacuum can let even worse types seize control. 

We'll that's my post of the day sorted!

This one won't be over till the fat bloke (Chuck Blazer) sings in a U.S. court.

Thank God for that.

For all we may moan though we do need a world governing body.  If it wasn't there then there would be no World Cup, no international agreement on laws, no organisation to run the game world wide, no organisation to develop and protect the weaker footballing nations. It's not all bad.

There is now one main issue - who can fill the vacuum left by Blatter? Who commands that respect and clout? Who can possibly clean up FIFA and its constituent organisations in countries where bribery and corruption are merely a way of life?

If there isn't any one person then FIFA will just continue to do the same or will be broken up as individual organisations form alliances.  This is a dangerous time of change, if you like the idea of a single governing body

B4.... Obviously!! 

FIFA has now become a playground for dirty global politics and we may well ask ourselves why the Americans are now suddenly so interested in it's inner workings and how is it that the FBI gained jurisdiction the world over.  If things play out as planned i suspect there will be no World Cup held in Russia but the Qatar one will likely go ahead, scorching heat or not.
Blatter ran a corrupt organization, as it's head he is responsible for it's current state, but i hope in retrospect as this game plays out he won't be considered the lesser of two evils.  A puppet state prince is lined up for the job, this could be the beginning of the end of FIFA.

​This.

And that's why the whole FIFA system needs to be dismantled and replaced. 

​At least B4 would come up with a more motivational speech when FIFA is in crisis than "I can't keep an eye on what everyone is doing" (or words to that effect). 

Takes a lot to gobsmack me Albert... But when he said that my jaw just dropped. 

Almost as incredible as when Steve McLaren described our defending as " it is what it is and there will be more days like this" or words to that effect... 

Both Sepp and Steve are/were disappointed to be leaving!! 

Archived