Derby want to sign Bent and Ince

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great individually - but how do we fit them into the same team?

The Championship is a tough league in which every team member has to be able to put pressure on the opposition, work hard and track back.

Our issues last season were not only the mis-matched back four but also the lack of defending from the front. This put pressure on a midfield without a natural defensive holding role.

If we assume Martin is a first pick, it's hard to imagine a team in which all three can play successfully. You would have to sacrifice width to accommodate three strong midfielders behind them which would make us rather predictable (IMO of course!).

If Bent would come I'd be very suprised! I'd see him going else where wages would be high which I don't think would be a problem.

Ince would cost to much IMO £6 mill+ can't see that happening.

​Ince is entering the last year of his contract so they won't be able to command anywhere near £6 million for him. I suppose it depends upon what Hull do now they are relegated. If they have a clear out he could be affordable

​Ince is entering the last year of his contract so they won't be able to command anywhere near £6 million for him. I suppose it depends upon what Hull do now they are relegated. If they have a clear out he could be affordable

​Didn't know that, that changes everything then I think £3 million would be a good amount for him. Anything less we have a bargin.

Radio Derby said this morning Bent is signing when his contract finishes. Sounds like a done deal 

​Yes, but for whom?

He would be a great signing really showed his metal at the end of the season. If it wasn't for his goals we would probably have finished 10th. A natural finisher who is the perfect plan B. Makes us more unpredictable. 

Cant help but feel this will hit our wage budget a bit hard though.

He would be a great signing really showed his metal at the end of the season. If it wasn't for his goals we would probably have finished 10th. A natural finisher who is the perfect plan B. Makes us more unpredictable. 

Cant help but feel this will hit our wage budget a bit hard though.

​Not our problem.

am i the only one that doesn't want Bent to sign....?

Cant play alongside Martin, Martin is useless in the "false 9"  (i hate that phrase) role and Martin is a definte start every time...Bent will be on the bench....just like he was at Villa, would rather us put the money we would be wasting on a bench warmer into a decent centre half for once.

Don't get hung up on Bent not fitting in our system, we haven't got a system at the moment as we haven't got a manager.

McClaren didn't come in and play the same tactics as Clough, I don't expect the new manager/head coach to come in and copy McClaren.

Bent is a proven goalscorer, goals win you games, won games wins you promotion, it's all mathematics baby!

am i the only one that doesn't want Bent to sign....?

Cant play alongside Martin, Martin is useless in the "false 9"  (i hate that phrase) role and Martin is a definte start every time...Bent will be on the bench....just like he was at Villa, would rather us put the money we would be wasting on a bench warmer into a decent centre half for once.

​No mate ,he would be all wrong .Ex prem ,long contract probably high wages just the sort of player we shouldn't be signing. Watched his body language against Reading and it was all wrong [amongst others]

​No mate ,he would be all wrong .Ex prem ,long contract probably high wages just the sort of player we shouldn't be signing. 

You're quoting a man that wants us to sign Joey Barton!

Watched his body language against Reading and it was all wrong [amongst others]

​To be fair the other 10 players on the pitch wasn't any better, looked like they had all been dragged out of bed 5 minutes before kick off

Archived