Reflections of Little Ronnie

Switch to three months from now and the first couple of defeats, fans snarling at the goalkeeper and defence, the new manager/coach wondering what the hell he's let himself in for and Sam Rush being hounded out the door, because, guess what, we've never really forgiven him for sacking you-know-who (it's not the sacking it's the way it was done blah blah blah).

Rinse and repeat.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive never said this on here but now is perhaps as good a time as any. I know Wigan Chief Exec Johnathon Jackson quite well. He interviewed McLaren for the job there after Coyle was sacked. It was a straight wish list from the owners for Rossler or McLaren. Steve was really wanted from some within the club. Without going into too much detail he told me that McLaren was just so weird, strange and odd in the interview that he basically gave himself no chance just by the way he acted!! 

Odd odd bloke if you ask me. Time for us to move on. 

​I'm not doubting you, this is more of a rhetorical question. 

Why would McClaren go for an interview at Wigan, just after we destroyed them 3-1 away and made our way into the play-offs, whilst they lingered in mid-table? And less than three months after joining us as well?

Is it common for managers to interview for other jobs? I seriously don't know.

​I'm not doubting you, this is more of a rhetorical question. 

Why would McClaren go for an interview at Wigan, just after we destroyed them 3-1 away and made our way into the play-offs, whilst they lingered in mid-table? And less than three months after joining us as well?

Is it common for managers to interview for other jobs? I seriously don't know.

​He may be slightly misinformed, could be that summer when Coyle originally got the job.

Switch to three months from now and the first couple of defeats, fans snarling at the goalkeeper and defence, the new manager/coach wondering what the hell he's let himself in for and Sam Rush being hounded out the door, because, guess what, we've never really forgiven him for sacking you-know-who (it's not the sacking it's the way it was done blah blah blah).

Rinse and repeat.

​Love the optimism.

Didn't know you were a psychic?

So you think the defence is going to un-**** itself once the Newcastle speculation finishes?

do you think we're never going to lose two games on the trot?

Do you think we'll never go on a calamitous/disastrous/earth shattering/world stop spinning run of....erm...only winning one point per game?

do you think we're going to score more than 85 goals every season from here on in, and concede less than 56 every season from now on?

Will every manager win more than 54% of games?

thats a very high bar our fans have set us there, who's going to pay next time we fail?

Stockholm may be right that Schteve might not have been able to get things on the right track, but sometimes i think you have to give people the chance. I think he had just about done enough to be given another go, but that would be conditional.

conditional upon him showing a real awareness and understanding of what went wrong, including his own errors, and having a convincing and credible strategy for putting things right.

in the end i suspect that he hasn't been asked for his opinion.

​Whether he was asked for it or not, there were a couple of times in the last 2-3 months where he made it clear in post-match that 'a real awareness and understanding of what went wrong' was something he didn't possess .

I seem to recall (firstly) he directly said "I don't know what's wrong with us" at one point and (secondly) "that's just what we are now" in response to the constant amateurish errors on display from some players - the comments annoyed me at the time and don't exactly help me to come to the conclusion now that he could turn it around

Will just point out the 'loyalty' card which is often thrown around. Fans can have absolutely no complaints over loyalty, as they would demand a manager to be sacked the moment the teams underperforms.

Steve McClaren owed us nothing, he alone took us from midtable to an automatic pomotion challenger and was unsurprisingly linked with a top flight job.

It's funny... If he had left in January, people would have blasted him for his loyalty. Yet, at the end of the season, people want him gone because we fell out of the top six or he didn't tell Newcaslt to do one - talk about hypocrisy!

We've become such a demanding bunch over the past 12 months. Having ambition is good, but being too demanding has an adverse effect especially if it results in booing the team when we're out of sorts.

I'm genuinely intrigued to see what the next plan of action is.

I still think we're in a great position, and I can certainly see three excellent teams getting promoted this season whereas QPR, Hull City and Burnley are IMO not as strong - especially after the likes of Austin and Ings leave.

I'll be amazing if we don't start next season among the frontrunners for promotion.

The problem for whomever comes in is that the benchmark for the last two years on performances and entertainment has been very high.  The best we've had for 20 years.

The expectation from the crowd is that we now should be winning with both ease and panache.  

As there hasn't been any concerted "McClaren out" movement, if the new manager doesn't hit the ground running, there'll be a a chance the crowd will hound them out and there'll be longing posts wishing we hadn't gotten rid of McClaren, <whichever player moves on>, etc. on here by September.

Unless, of course, there is a really convincing reason given why should have disposed of McClaren.  I know something obviously in quite right, but everything I have heard is completely down to conjecture.

The new manager will have to get us in the play-offs otherwise there will have been no improvement  - and that's a helluva target for a rookie coach. If he doesn't achieve this what will the owners do , sack him? Is that the sort of club we are becoming?

​Whether he was asked for it or not, there were a couple of times in the last 2-3 months where he made it clear in post-match that 'a real awareness and understanding of what went wrong' was something he didn't possess .

I seem to recall (firstly) he directly said "I don't know what's wrong with us" at one point and (secondly) "that's just what we are now" in response to the constant amateurish errors on display from some players - the comments annoyed me at the time and don't exactly help me to come to the conclusion now that he could turn it around

You might be right.

I don't think anyone expected what happened against Reading. Most people thought we would limp over the line. Maybe after a time to reflect he would have formulated a plan.

next season could go either way. We might recover our form and style but the last ten games suggest that something has gone seriously wrong. We haven't looked that clueless since Jewell left. Its going to be a difficult job whilst expectations remain high. Given one more chance, Schteve might have failed but then at least everyone would recognise that a change was needed and it might happen naturally. This is so sudden - and unexpected? - that there will always be a what-if.

maybe the situation demands someone with a bit of experience as well as a good coach. I can't help but feel that we are taking an even bigger risk. The new guy won't know the players. It will take three months to make the big decisions regarding Shotton, Albentosa, Keogh etc etc. We could do with making those decisions now.

Rinse and repeat.

​Speaking of snarling…. 

At Huddersfield at half time, there was the quintessential snarling oaf directly in front of me, with his partner and two young (6 or 7 years old) children, all resplendent in their Derby shirts. The language this Neanderthal came out with in his 30 second tirade was, frankly, appalling, to say nothing of the pained contortions his face was going through. His wife and kids did, to be fair, look embarrassed. He was setting such a glowing example to his children who, if said example becomes typical of home life, will be leading lights in "Benefit Street 14" in a few years time. Quite sad really.

​Speaking of snarling…. 

At Huddersfield at half time, there was the quintessential snarling oaf directly in front of me, with his partner and two young (6 or 7 years old) children, all resplendent in their Derby shirts. The language this Neanderthal came out with in his 30 second tirade was, frankly, appalling, to say nothing of the pained contortions his face was going through. His wife and kids did, to be fair, look embarrassed. He was setting such a glowing example to his children who, if said example becomes typical of home life, will be leading lights in "Benefit Street 14" in a few years time. Quite sad really.

​I've not come across specifically that but at Brighton this season i was behind a chap in his yellow 3rd kit who was similarly with his kids of 7-10 years old and seemed to think it was fair game to bait Brighton fans with hand gestures and a series of homophobic songs ripe with the usual oaths.

I really don't get it. The very occasional expletive aimed at nobody in particular when something else has gone calamitously (and sometimes hilariously) wrong is one thing but a few folk - well.

Not sure what is happening with my posts this morning. The site doesn't seem to like my iPad very much. Please feel free to clear my earlier posts Mods.

Was trying to reply to Cannible. I've no idea when this interview at Wigan took place. I only found out about it with Johnathon Jackson in Feb this year. 

Agree totally with you Eddie about supporters bad language and expletives especially around impressionable youngsters. 

Takes a time to be an expert editor and deleter on here lol

The forum is a bit awkward with my IPad because it's difficult to quote until your used to getting around it .

I think the best way is to press and hold finger down on left in data for unwanted quotes and then  when it's highlighted press select all and then the x key and hey presto it goes away but you may need to do it twice most of the time  lol and then start again with your new quote  

Daveo is ace though at sorting stuff out  if you tell him the problem  

PS I quoted a post of yours with no text on purpose 

Archived